'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

Perusing though the thread Hattons have truly outdone themselves with these. I'm not the first to lament this fact but I really hope the core four models of, four and six wheel compartment and brake carriages will be available unpainted in the future. I've just taken delivery of some Hornby coaches bought in the Derails 30% off sale which I'm happy to repaint at that price, but these Hattons Originals coaches are certinaly the better design and far more suitable for freelance generic use on your own fictional railway companies.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Player of trains said:

Perusing though the thread Hattons have truly outdone themselves with these. I'm not the first to lament this fact but I really hope the core four models of, four and six wheel compartment and brake carriages will be available unpainted in the future. I've just taken delivery of some Hornby coaches bought in the Derails 30% off sale which I'm happy to repaint at that price, but these Hattons Originals coaches are certinaly the better design and far more suitable for freelance generic use on your own fictional railway companies.

I assume the Hornby ones haven't been selling well as they are being flogged off at remainder prices.

e.g. Model Railways Direct have been selling them at 35% - 50% off. Very low for such a newly introduced item.

Meanwhile Hattons have been selling out.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

What I'm interested in knowing is whether these coaches are "catalogue" items for Hattons or not.

By that I mean, are these going to be in "constant production" or is this just a set of "one offs" like many things "built" by the newer entrants.

Hornby's 4/6 wheelers are "catalogue" items, replacements for their ancient old 4-wheelers and so we expect to see these coaches in every Hornby catalogue until such time as they replace them with another 4/6 wheeler coach.

Will Hattons be saying "we've run out of the GW coaches, so we'd better schedule another run for next year" or are they saying "good we've run of GW coaches, we've made that money."

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

Will Hattons be saying "we've run out of the GW coaches, so we'd better schedule another run for next year" or are they saying "good we've run of GW coaches, we've made that money."

Text on the sold-out LNER coaches currently reads as follows: 

"Is this item actually in stock? No, but we intend to reorder ASAP & make available for preorder.
Add it to your wishlist and we will email you if a pre-owned one becomes available."

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Nothing in life is ever guaranteed. If you definitely want specific items and cannot possibly do without, or are happy to re-sell them privately if needs and preferences change, then order them while they're available. If you want to see whether prices fall later (for say second hand bargains or unsold new stock) and you're happy to do without if this fails, then hang on. It's a fairly simple choice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

Nothing in life is ever guaranteed. If you definitely want specific items and cannot possibly do without, or are happy to re-sell them privately if needs and preferences change, then order them while they're available. If you want to see whether prices fall later (for say second hand bargains or unsold new stock) and you're happy to do without if this fails, then hang on. It's a fairly simple choice.

Death and Taxes . Not sure if its 19p, 20p or 45p though

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

What I'm interested in knowing is whether these coaches are "catalogue" items for Hattons or not.

By that I mean, are these going to be in "constant production" or is this just a set of "one offs" like many things "built" by the newer entrants.

Hornby's 4/6 wheelers are "catalogue" items, replacements for their ancient old 4-wheelers and so we expect to see these coaches in every Hornby catalogue until such time as they replace them with another 4/6 wheeler coach.

If Hornby can't shift them, at 30 to 50 percent off, then they won't be making any more.

Kev.

(Edit due to my poor English and complete lack of  proof reading.)

Edited by SHMD
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I would have thought that Hattons will keep having batches made for as long as they can sell them. If I was Hattons I would take a batch selling out on pre-order as evidence that there was an opportunity to sell a few more, particularly if the feed back from those who bought the early batches is good. Perhaps making second / third repeats smaller orders of any one livery just in case demand ends suddenly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Black Marlin said:

Text on the sold-out LNER coaches currently reads as follows: 

"Is this item actually in stock? No, but we intend to reorder ASAP & make available for preorder.
Add it to your wishlist and we will email you if a pre-owned one becomes available."

Excellent news. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The new coaches will not be appearing in train sets and the like.

What's "and the like" mean?

6 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

Train set. Not train pack. Two different markets, in Hornby's eyes.

In that case Hornby must have three different markets for box sets then.

Loco and coaches

Loco and coaches and track

Loco and coaches and track and controller.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

In that case Hornby must have three different markets for box sets then.

Loco and coaches

Loco and coaches and track

Loco and coaches and track and controller.

You forgot.......

"And the like"

It covers anything not covered by the above....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'd suggest that if Hornby's answers to the Hatton's Genesis range were intended to replace the old Railroad "shortie", they wouldn't still be flogging the latter.

It might happen eventually if they become hard to shift any other way. We'll know that if and when they start appearing in sets based around Smokey Joe and Friends.

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'd suggest that if Hornby's answers to the Hatton's Genesis range were intended to replace the old Railroad "shortie", they wouldn't still be flogging the latter.

It might happen eventually if they become hard to shift any other way. We'll know that if and when they start appearing in sets based around Smokey Joe and Friends.

John

They are being sold with lights at around the same price as the geriatric, very generic 4 wheeler.

e.g. Model Railways Direct are selling the basic Hornby SR Olive coach (R4672) for £21.15, a 6 wheel SR olive coach (R40132) for £21.75, just 60p more for a much better vehicle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

They are being sold with lights at around the same price as the geriatric, very generic 4 wheeler.

e.g. Model Railways Direct are selling the basic Hornby SR Olive coach (R4672) for £21.15, a 6 wheel SR olive coach (R40132) for £21.75, just 60p more for a much better vehicle.

Two points here:

1) The £21.15 is MRD's sale price, not Hornby's RRP. Comparing an item that is being discounted against one that isn't is hardly a fair comparison. Indeed, the fact that MRD see the need to discount the newer coaches, but not the older ones suggests that the older coaches are selling better than the newer ones.

2) Looking at the MRD website, it appears that not all the coaches are being discounted. Specifically, of the GWR examples (I haven't looked at the others), it is only the lit coaches which are being heavily discounted, not the unlit ones! Which is a strange way for MRD to do business as the lit ones are 2/3 the price of the unlit.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

) The £21.15 is MRD's sale price, not Hornby's RRP. Comparing an item that is being discounted against one that isn't is hardly a fair comparison.

Read what I posted

Neither are RRP £21.15 is discounted from Hornby's RRP by 10% and £21.75 is discounted from RRP by 50%

The various GWR coaches are discounted by 10%, 35% & 50% and several of the 10% are pre order for next year.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, melmerby said:

The railroad range.

15 hours ago, melmerby said:

That Hornby's prices are often odd is no surprise. But if they do retire the old 4-wheeler, the new 4- and 6-wheelers will not be appearing in train sets.

• Like 1