'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I have found Kadees don't work particularly well on these.

That's a pain. I might end up having to follow your example and use something else within the set, although I was hoping to museum them more flexibly- 1 or 2 coaches in light railway scenarios and all 4 at other times.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Turbo_Tim said:

That's a pain. I might end up having to follow your example and use something else within the set, although I was hoping to museum them more flexibly- 1 or 2 coaches in light railway scenarios and all 4 at other times.

It will depend on what you are going to use them for.

I found shunting back through some pointwork was tricky with Kadees but fine with the much more rigid Hornby & Roco couplers.

Just pulling them is no problem.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Fitting NEM Kadees into pivoted mounts (as opposed to CCUs that "grow" on curves) is not going to end well. Just too many pivots too close to one another.

On my departmental pair, I removed the NEM mounts and fitted Kadee #146 Whisker couplers.

When my LSWR set (ages away yet) turns up, I'll do the same on the van ends and use the Hornby 8220s inside.

John

• Informative/Useful 5

7 hours ago, Turbo_Tim said:

My set of Southern livery carriages arrived today. Payment was taken late Thursday evening, dispatched yesterday and arrived today. Just need to fit some kadee couplings now.

IMG_20221025_122807~2.jpg

IMG_20221025_121823.jpg

IMG_20221025_121828.jpg

IMG_20221025_121834.jpg

IMG_20221025_121849.jpg

Many  thanks for the pictures. These coaches really do look fantastic. I am looking forward to getting my ones soon (once my trunk is shipped in the near future).

JK

• Like 4

7 hours ago, melmerby said:

I have found Kadees don't work particularly well on these.

Yes I noticed the same with the ubiquitous 18s. I'm trying a mix of 18s and 19s now but unfortunately the building of my local club is undergoing some council initiated renovations so I can't actually try that out yet!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

All my Southern livery coaches arrived today.  When I opened the package which I believed to contain all Hattons Genesis coaches,  there,  like a sore thumb,  was a Hornby package containing a Southern livery six-wheel first class coach.  Then it dawned on me that when at the last minute I ordered additional coaches on top of all my pre-orders,  I had seen a six-wheel first class coach listed not realising that it was a Hornby model.  I should have looked closer.  It was priced the same as the Hattons coaches so I assumed it was a Genesis.  When compared side by side it is chalk and cheese.  The Hornby model is put to shame and simply boring.  

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone who has a full set of lighted vehicles know whether there is any difference in the light units between say a 6 wheel full brake and a 6 wheel all third?

Same with the 4 wheel versions.

I have one odd 4 wheel with lights and one odd 6 wheel with lights. out of 19 total vehicles.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

All my Southern livery coaches arrived today.  When I opened the package which I believed to contain all Hattons Genesis coaches,  there,  like a sore thumb,  was a Hornby package containing a Southern livery six-wheel first class coach.  Then it dawned on me that when at the last minute I ordered additional coaches on top of all my pre-orders,  I had seen a six-wheel first class coach listed not realising that it was a Hornby model.  I should have looked closer.  It was priced the same as the Hattons coaches so I assumed it was a Genesis.  When compared side by side it is chalk and cheese.  The Hornby model is put to shame and simply boring.  

I assume as the Hornby GWR coaches were a nice shade of green the Southern coach must be brown😄

• Funny 5

6 hours ago, melmerby said:

Does anyone who has a full set of lighted vehicles know whether there is any difference in the light units between say a 6 wheel full brake and a 6 wheel all third?

Same with the 4 wheel versions.

I have one odd 4 wheel with lights and one odd 6 wheel with lights. out of 19 total vehicles.

I tried to get the roof off one of mine and decided to wait...

I would guess there are two lighting units, one for four wheel and one for six wheel coaches.  The LED spacing is such that all compartments are lighted.  No need for another lighting unit for a full brake.

There are some excellent photos of the lighting units here:

https://albionyard.com/2020/10/27/transformation-tuesday-genesis/

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Black Marlin said:

My six LNER 6-wheelers arrived today (the pack of four, plus two additional all-thirds; all lit) and they're gorgeous models. And so free-running! They look excellent behind my Oxford Rail N7 but I'm now very, very sorely tempted by the TMC G5...

20221028_145910.jpg

Fabulous, and I agree about the running performance. Mine run faultlessly over some badly laid points and second radius curves. Very little cut outs of the lights, too. They were a bit cranky about some first radius curves in a siding, but they did it. 

They really do look spectacular, especially behind a tank engine, or small tender engine. I'm glad I went with the lit coaches as they bring the more plain LNER livery to life.

Well done to Hattons, these are certainly worth the wait and come highly recommended. 

Now for the LMS coaches in a few months. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Any idea when the BR departmentals will arrive.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults?search/product-types/Coaches/sub-types/4 and 6 wheel Genesis coaches/liveries/BR gulf red%2CBR departmental olive%2CBR black with British Railways lettering/stockstatus/all

Plus some more in batch 3 at the end of December.

Edited by longchap
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It seems that they've all gone to pre-orders and they're listed as discontinued.

Ah, the early birds seem to have taken them all then. Sorry you missed out Phil. They really are much better than most people wanted to give Hattons credit for. However, many more GWR items materialised after their release and confirmed sold out status, so be vigilant and you may yet have a Departmental New Year.

Cup half full 😀

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, longchap said:

However, many more GWR items materialised after their release and confirmed sold out status, so be vigilant and you may yet have a Departmental New Year.

Cup half full 😀

Failing that. if you're that keen on them, chances are there will soon be some on ebay, albeit at over the odds .

• Like 2