'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

I do hope Hattons will re-release some of the sold out liveries (like LNWR) after they have completed the batches, the reaction in terms of sales does seem to have been very good in spite of the understandable misgivings about their generic design.  In the meantime, I've taken the plunge and pre-ordered a Midland bundle which, with a bit of T-Cut, will become an LMS 1920s branch rake as the Midland livery and the early LMS pre 1928 livery are virtually the same, just without "Midland" on the side.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Coppercap said:

You can see here how the lamps were in the correct position above the compartments on a 'decorated sample' back a year ago... 

image.png.df872bcebaf3c53c5a53f4d2d8a93fef.png

I've checked the two different ones I have and they are both wrong. I wonder how it happened.

All the rest seem correct, even the one with a lavatory with the extra gubbins on the roof.

I'm so distraught that I feel a panic attack coming on and need to lie down and be fanned with a copy of Railway Modeller.🙂

I think we should start a class action against Hattons for causing so much distress and call for punitive damages of a Curry and Pint for everyone affected.👍

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 hours ago, melmerby said:

I've checked the two different ones I have and they are both wrong. I wonder how it happened.

All the rest seem correct, even the one with a lavatory with the extra gubbins on the roof.

I'm so distraught that I feel a panic attack coming on and need to lie down and be fanned with a copy of Railway Modeller.🙂

I think we should start a class action against Hattons for causing so much distress and call for punitive damages of a Curry and Pint for everyone affected.👍

If you are concerned about the accuracy of "generic" coaches, shouldn't you be fanning yourself with MRJ?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

If you are concerned about the accuracy of "generic" coaches, shouldn't you be fanning yourself with MRJ?

Or perhaps a new publication, devoted to the "accurate / logical" modelling of wholly imaginary rolling stock?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Or perhaps a new publication, devoted to the "accurate / logical" modelling of wholly imaginary rolling stock?

There is a difference between "imaginary and implausible" - e.g. the Far Tottering and Oyster Creek Railway - and "imaginary and plausible" - which is where these models sit. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

KR Models BR Blue GT3 Discuss

Far too much yellow in places no BR Blue loco had it, so it falls into "imaginary and implausible". If the cab doors and steps were blue, no yellow lining and the side grilles greyed out with the ends having a more normal yellow wrap around, it'd creep over to "imaginary but plausible". Counter and change my mind! 😆

Back to the coaches, the changed roof layout on the 6w brake 3rd is a bit quizzical given on the EPs the roof furniture lined up with the compartments as has been well shown already. Rather strangely, depending on which 6w brake 3rd coaches you're looking at on Hattons website some appear misaligned and others look to line up fine. The photo Turbo_Tim posted of a SR 4 set and various photos of the engineering liveries and LNER 6w brake throughout this topic certainly look like they line up. I wonder if it is limited to the white painted GWR roofs at this point, although the SECR 6w brakes on Hattons site looks misaligned too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2022 at 22:59, Zunnan said:

the SECR 6w brakes on Hattons site looks misaligned too.

So are the Olive Green SR ones

Corrected

They're not wrong, not sure which one I thought was incorrect.😒

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Back to the coaches, the changed roof layout on the 6w brake 3rd is a bit quizzical given on the EPs the roof furniture lined up with the compartments as has been well shown already. Rather strangely, depending on which 6w brake 3rd coaches you're looking at on Hattons website some appear misaligned and others look to line up fine. The photo Turbo_Tim posted of a SR 4 set and various photos of the engineering liveries and LNER 6w brake throughout this topic certainly look like they line up. I wonder if it is limited to the white painted GWR roofs at this point, although the SECR 6w brakes on Hattons site looks misaligned too.

The GWR ones were the only ones that I had seen that were wrong (as actually I have them) - I looked at most of the images I could find of the other liveried-versions but hadn't noticed this one with all five lamps:  

image.png.6cc97e8a382c6bc9105f6ee1764192a7.png

Yet this one has four of them, in the correct position, but with different ventilators:

image.png.8166ebeee496634f8e6698d486ba6247.png

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, melmerby said:

So are the Olive Green SR ones

Look back to the photos posted by Turbo_Tim, his SR Green 6w brake is certainly in good alignment against the compartments, and the photo could not be any clearer. Likewise on Hattons site, all appear aligned on the SR versions, including the engineers coaches. I've seen plenty of wonky fitted parts, which is a different matter. When it comes to roof furniture not lining up with the compartments beneath them the only photos I've noticed so far are on GWR and SECR 6w brakes. Thats not to say they're not out there, I just haven't seen any yet.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

The GWR ones were the only ones that I had seen that were wrong (as actually I have them) - I looked at most of the images I could find of the other liveried-versions but hadn't noticed this one with all five lamps:  

image.png.6cc97e8a382c6bc9105f6ee1764192a7.png

Yet this one has four of them, in the correct position, but with different ventilators:

image.png.8166ebeee496634f8e6698d486ba6247.png

I wonder if one is a production run (upper) and the other a pre-production livery sample (lower). I guess we'll find out when batch 2 start arriving on doorsteps which of the SECR 6w brake roofs we're going to get given there are two different photos to go by. They're just far enough out to trigger a bout of OCD, now it has been pointed out its harder to miss. I'm hoping the LMS ones escape this and line up!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, amdaley said:

Well I guess they really are generic so 😉

Guess some rework of the roofs will be needed on some of them.

Indeed, but it is an easy fix on the GWR brake third.  Considering how nice they are, I am not complaining.  It is not like the lighting units are overheating and damaging the roof...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

14 minutes ago, TheEngineShed said:

Indeed, but it is an easy fix on the GWR brake third.  Considering how nice they are, I am not complaining.  It is not like the lighting units are overheating and damaging the roof...

Not that we know off, yet 😉

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I've just looked at my set, they look correctly aligned, so it's not all GWR coaches.

Looks like someone got out the wrong batch of rooves when fitting to coaches perhaps

image.png.1162cd7a0c14b9711ad8246438312b98.png

Your 6-wheel brake 3rd at the other end is incorrect, in that the four lamps are equally spaced, and not directly over the compartments, as per all the other production 6-wheel Brake 3rds that have been seen.

Seems that all the other versions produced are unaffected, and the 4-wheel brake 3rd lamps are correctly positioned over the compartments.

Edited by Coppercap
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

Your 6-wheel brake 3rd at the other end is incorrect, in that the four lamps are equally spaced, and not directly over the compartments, as per all the other production 6-wheel Brake 3rds that have been seen.

Seems that all the other versions produced are unaffected, and the 4-wheel brake 3rd lamps are correctly positioned over the compartments.

Ah well, I took it to be the guard had been treated nicely.

Doesn't look particularly out of place to me so I'll not worry.

• Like 2

Watched a Youtube video on how to remove the roof

but could not trace my plastic tools for breaking into mobiles etc so sat down with one coach in hand and pushed the corner of the roof up with a thumb nail and it completely came loose. Repeated on the other coach I have and equally successful.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Watched a Youtube video on how to remove the roof

but could not trace my plastic tools for breaking into mobiles etc so sat down with one coach in hand and pushed the corner of the roof up with a thumb nail and it completely came loose. Repeated on the other coach I have and equally successful.

Guitar picks! I never thought of those. I can think of lots of uses for them – far better than bits of credit card or paper card.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

And, in my opinion, a much better use for guitar picks than their originally intended purpose ;-)

As with other guitar players, I'll admit to this being an alternative use, while also as a railway modeller, I'll certainly add some picks to my tool drawer to aid future roof removals, as it's a really good tip.

A much better use ?  Depends on one's starting point, but it's good to share 😎

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2022 at 23:35, Zunnan said:

Look back to the photos posted by Turbo_Tim, his SR Green 6w brake is certainly in good alignment against the compartments, and the photo could not be any clearer. Likewise on Hattons site, all appear aligned on the SR versions, including the engineers coaches. I've seen plenty of wonky fitted parts, which is a different matter. When it comes to roof furniture not lining up with the compartments beneath them the only photos I've noticed so far are on GWR and SECR 6w brakes. Thats not to say they're not out there, I just haven't seen any yet.

I have corrected my original post.

The vehicle is correct, not sure which one I thought was wrong as only the GWR 6 Wheel BT is wrong, all my others look right.

• Like 4