KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Running prototype video here..

1.59 its seen going around a reasonable looking corner.

Interesting video- apart from someone being unable to spell fourth.  

Definitely whets the appetite.

Les

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Interesting video- apart from someone being unable to spell fourth.  

Definitely whets the appetite.

Les

Thanks for saying that. After grinding my teeth, I gritted them! I like the sound, especially the horns. However, the way the thing worked was to reduce the speed of each engine as each engine cut in. When the second engine cut in, the speed of the first would decrease to half. I can’t hear any drop in engine note. Somewhere, I have the information about the speed at which each engine cut in but I can’t find it. However, I think the forth engine is cutting in at too low a speed. Perhaps the engines cutting in are on function buttons, so it’s a matter for the user. Thoughts?

• RMweb Gold

But strangely the sound appears to completely miss the most noticeable noise of all - described by a Davey Paxman engineer as 'hideous' when starting from a station.  i presume it isn't on the sound file because either nobody knew/bothered to research it or if they did they couldn't find anything suitable to record?

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Barry O said:

Which particular Fell is this one? Will it go round corners? What mechanism does it have? What body shape is it? Unlike the GT3 where KR received a good data pack the Fell is based on research..  of a prototype which had significant alterations  and has not got a full GA.

Baz

It only goes around corners on the third Saturday of the month and only if you wind the rubber band really tight.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

But strangely the sound appears to completely miss the most noticeable noise of all - described by a Davey Paxman engineer as 'hideous' when starting from a station.  i presume it isn't on the sound file because either nobody knew/bothered to research it or if they did they couldn't find anything suitable to record?

Just nick some Jeremy Vine soundbites - you can make it sound as hideous as you like then :) And for when it breaks, you could use Vanessa Feltz for that kind of whining grinding noise.

Sorted :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I have in my hand a slim volume entitled "Diesel Mechanical Main Line Locomotive 10,100 Drivers' Instructions". Item 5 under the heading "Start the Engine" states "To start the auxiliary engines:-"

Item 6 is titled "To Start each Main Engine:-

The next section is called "Running" and includes the following:-

"Pull the "C" scoop handle to the drive position. The locomotive should start to move. if not, open the regulator until it does.

At 5 to 10 m.p.h. move "D" scoop to the drive position. It is unnecessary to alter the regulator setting during this manoeuvre. (sic)

At 17 to 30 m.p.h. move "A" scoop control to the drive position.

At  24 to 40 m.p.h. move "B" scoop control to the drive position."

It then goes on to describe how to manage rising gradients, buffering up, reversing, shutting down, changing ends and dealing with engine failure.

It strikes me that all engines are running all the time, it's just that sometimes one or more of the 4 main engines are sometimes idling.

Edited by 96701
Correction to tryping.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

And that us shown on the shell Film of the Fell. The "scoops" are like a gear lever. Not a lot of space for the driver .. hence the outward opening cab doors.

The auxiliary engines  run at high speed as they are driving air into the roots blowers...no sound of that on the video shown.

Baz

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

And that us shown on the shell Film of the Fell. The "scoops" are like a gear lever. Not a lot of space for the driver .. hence the outward opening cab doors.

The auxiliary engines  run at high speed as they are driving air into the roots blowers...no sound of that on the video shown.

Baz

Exactly so.  The main engines are running all the time but what happens is that the level of supercharging is at its peak when starting away so maximum noise from the auxiliary engines and the blowers (the 'hideous noise').  As the main engines gradually speed up and running speed increases the blowers gradually reduce in effort until they are doing nothing at all.  So there are a whole variety of noises depending on whether the loco is starting away, accelerating (or demanding additional power increase for another reason), or running at speed with constant, minimal demand, on the main engines.    The sound track played recently in this thread doesn't reflect any of that and appears to have been very poorly researched or perhaps beynd the capabilities of the person who put it together?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Holmesfeldian said:

KRM confirmed to me that no clips from the Shell film were used for the sound decoder 

Yes, but,  the person putting the sounds together should have listened to it... 

Baz

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, 96701 said:

Are you buying one of these Baz?

I will be building a Judith Edge kit of the Fell. I want a well researched model which does bear a high level of accuracy due to the level of research undertaken in producing the kit. I know it goes together as a kit, it can pull decent trains and it goes around corners.

If KR had any sense they would have bought a kit..  it does contain a drawing of the loco. Mind you the information they received on  the GT3 ended up with mistakes being made on their model.

So far we have had little in the way of decent photos, no details on the drive training a less than perfect sound system. IF I had paid up front for one of these I would have expected more information. AS I haven't I didn't but saying its manufactured and on its way.. unseen..would be scary. If it is wrong or doesn't work will the buyers still fiddle around fixing it?  This has been the case with the GT3.  

At least they haven't started selling it in BR Blue.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

16 hours ago, Barry O said:

I will be building a Judith Edge kit of the Fell. I want a well researched model which does bear a high level of accuracy due to the level of research undertaken in producing the kit. I know it goes together as a kit, it can pull decent trains and it goes around corners.

If KR had any sense they would have bought a kit..  it does contain a drawing of the loco. Mind you the information they received on  the GT3 ended up with mistakes being made on their model.

So far we have had little in the way of decent photos, no details on the drive training a less than perfect sound system. IF I had paid up front for one of these I would have expected more information. AS I haven't I didn't but saying its manufactured and on its way.. unseen..would be scary. If it is wrong or doesn't work will the buyers still fiddle around fixing it?  This has been the case with the GT3.  

At least they haven't started selling it in BR Blue.

Baz

KR’s Fell has already sold by the shedload, pal. I doubt KR, or anyone who has bought one, will be too bothered by what you think.

Edited by D9001
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

50 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sheds come in all sorts of sizes - perhaps you could be more specific about the number they have sold as you appear t be privy to it?

To what extent has Rails taking up retail sales of the Fell contributed to the "shedloads" and actually making the project viable?  Personally,  I would never buy on the pay now plan from any manufacturer,  whether he be established or a crowd funded kind.  I would though pre-order on  a deposit (even if a little more expensive) from a retailer who has been around a few years.

The "emperors new clothes" syndrone that followed Dave to his demise seems to be alive and kicking.

9 hours ago, D9001 said:

KR’s Fell has already sold by the shedload, pal. I doubt KR, or anyone who has bought one, will be too bothered by what you think.

I’d guess that KR is not too bothered, judging by either the robust replies or no replies at all to comments made here. I have a Fell with sound on order and, of course, I have had to pay for it in advance. I am bothered, although I won’t attempt to cancel my order or fail to consider future KR products on the principle that they are the only RTR models of the prototypes that we are likely to get.

Like many, I suppose I rely on manufacturers’ past performance and with KR, all we have is the GT3. For all of its many good qualities, it is a bit of a curate’s egg. Leaving aside the good, the lighting is a mess. Despite the very neat work of plugging the lights into the PCB, the model seems to have been passed for production by someone with no understanding of how lights were used on the railway of the time.

I accept that it is difficult to know exactly how the Fell sounded after this length of time but it seems from comments made that the sound project has been put together by someone with little idea of how the thing worked. I wish that KR would be more responsive to the constructive comments made by knowledgeable people here but I suppose it’s difficult to criticise Keith and Mike in the light of some of the abrasive comments made about the GT3 and their enterprise in general. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I’d guess that KR is not too bothered, judging by either the robust replies or no replies at all to comments made here. ...................

I wish that KR would be more responsive to the constructive comments made by knowledgeable people here.

I agree 100% with the first two points.  KR are their own worst enemy in a lot of their responses.

but I suppose it’s difficult to criticise Keith and Mike in the light of some of the abrasive comments made about the GT3 and their enterprise in general.

Some of the abrasive comments can be the result of your first two points. But only some of them.

15 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

To what extent has Rails taking up retail sales of the Fell contributed to the "shedloads" and actually making the project viable?  Personally,  I would never buy on the pay now plan from any manufacturer,  whether he be established or a crowd funded kind.  I would though pre-order on  a deposit (even if a little more expensive) from a retailer who has been around a few years.

The "emperors new clothes" syndrone that followed Dave to his demise seems to be alive and kicking.

Your money, your choice.   

I wouldn't rely on a deposit for securing your order, however.  And of course paying early may mean you pay less, as purchasers of other suppliers have found.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1