Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

• RMweb Premium

I don’t think there’s much doubt that the firebox slope is slightly wrong, which in turn causes the steeper boiler taper.

When viewed at ‘track level’ as per my later photos it is fairly apparent.

However, when viewed as per my layout photos, where my eyeline is roughly 2 feet higher than the model, so you are looking sort of 3/4 down if that makes sense, then that angle of viewing certainly disguises the error.

As that is basically how I would always be viewing it, that is acceptable to me, although others will obviously feel different.

It is a pity though that it wasn’t done correctly in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, PMP99 said:

As that is basically how I would always be viewing it, that is acceptable to me

Given me an idea for the ultimate shoebox cameo layout. An air vent over a tunnel with a little wispy smoke unit and some muffled sounds.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, PMP99 said:

Hi Rob,

Best I can do quickly.  Hope they help.

Loco and tender still not fully connected. Tension hook couplings removed.

The close ups do tend to pick up the chimney taper.
However, as per my original post, from normal viewing distance not as prominent as I worried it might be, at least to my eyesight! 

Graham

7DECA790-482F-40C8-8BA8-6D8B7537763C.jpeg

EE980132-826C-420C-91FE-D85ABED00274.jpeg

3A70ADB1-67BC-4145-B7C0-6ACC6B504D6F.jpeg

It might be the camera angle and it might be the effect of the lens but there definitely appears to be something adrift.  The top nut of the safety valve (which is a little above the top of the safety valve bonnet) should be the same distance above rail level as the top of the chimney with the (original) chimney capuchon being slightly higher again.  But both were c.4+" lower than the maximum height of the cab - measured to the rear vertical part of the cab roof frame.

The angle of the photos makes it difficult to check but where it meets the cab front sheet the rear end of the firebox cladding should be higher than the height of the cab rain strip and from some angles it looks as if it might be slightly too low.  Again the angle of view doesn't help as it really needs to be an exactly square side elevation but it looks as if the front end of the firebox cladding might be a little too high - thus the slope angle looks wrong.

Doing another comparison - again the angle of the photo is not ideal - it also indicates that the front end of the firebox casing is too high in relation to the cab front sheet windows.

But in all of this it is inevitable that an engine which has been through 'restoration' (probably more than once?) might well not match absolutely the original drawings and it would need careful checking of as many of the class that still exist to try to establish if attention since withdrawal has introduced any minor variations in height - say by making a reproduction safety valve bonnet which doesn't precisely match original drawings and so on.

(N.B. Dimensions checked from 3 different drawings one of which is original GWR)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It might be the camera angle and it might be the effect of the lens but there definitely appears to be something adrift.  The top nut of the safety valve (which is a little above the top of the safety valve bonnet) should be the same distance above rail level as the top of the chimney with the (original) chimney capuchon being slightly higher again.  But both were c.4+" lower than the maximum height of the cab - measured to the rear vertical part of the cab roof frame.

The angle of the photos makes it difficult to check but where it meets the cab front sheet the rear end of the firebox cladding should be higher than the height of the cab rain strip and from some angles it looks as if it might be slightly too low.  Again the angle of view doesn't help as it really needs to be an exactly square side elevation but it looks as if the front end of the firebox cladding might be a little too high - thus the slope angle looks wrong.

Doing another comparison - again the angle of the photo is not ideal - it also indicates that the front end of the firebox casing is too high in relation to the cab front sheet windows.

But in all of this it is inevitable that an engine which has been through 'restoration' (probably more than once?) might well not match absolutely the original drawings and it would need careful checking of as many of the class that still exist to try to establish if attention since withdrawal has introduced any minor variations in height - say by making a reproduction safety valve bonnet which doesn't precisely match original drawings and so on.

(N.B. Dimensions checked from 3 different drawings one of which is original GWR)

I’m not going to try and do precise measurements, but from putting a rule and mini level across the top, I can confirm the top of the safety valves (just above the top of the bonnet) are the highest point on the loco.

Give or take, I would say the top of the cab roof, top of the safety valve bonnet and top of the capuchon are pretty much the same height.

Edited by PMP99
Extra info
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rembrow said:

Difficult to make a comparison without making some adjustments to the photo levels. The photo of the real Dinmore manor is slightly off horizontal, being slightly raised at the front, which reduces the pitch angle slightly, whereas the model shots, by PMP99 of the model loco in the same direction, is also off horizontal, but with the cab/rear of the loco being raised, which has the effect of increasing the pitch angle. I think overall that the pitch is slightly too great, but as I type, the postie has just delivered my late crest Lydham Manor, so will have a chance to fully examine.

Are you able to post any pictures?

Just intrigued to see what the shade of green looks like?

Graham

Looking at the posted pictures of the model, and particularly the bottom one, the slope of the boiler towards the smoke box and the increasing height of the top of the firebox from cab to the front (altogether a pair of odd prototype shapes) looks particularly accurate when compared with the prototype photos above - it’s when viewed as a model from what would be a drone from height of a prototype that the combination of shapes looks slightly more odd - maybe because we rarely see the prototype from such an elevation and angle that is normal with a model!! 

The relative heights of the chimney etc look to match those in the drawing posted by @Miss Prism

If I was in the market for a Manor I’d most definitely be buying one of these - as others have said, it definitely looks like a Manor and there’s definitely something to be said for jam today etc etc!! Id probably order an Accurascale one as well though - well possibly……….. 

Edited by MidlandRed
Idiotic auto spell issues
  • Like 1

Really enjoying my Manor. I've got the DCC fitted version and have only had it on the rolling road for the traditional half an hour forwards and backwards. It's beautifully smooth-running and virtually silent. The slow-speed crawl is exceptional - a real testament to how far Dapol have acted on gearing feedback since the Moguls - and it runs at realistic speeds. The firebox flicker is much improved too. 

Visually, I think it looks great. Is the taper too steep? Perhaps but it certainly doesn't detract from the 'normal viewing angle/distance' that I can see has been discussed at length already. I hadn't noticed the plastic crosshead arrangement until it was pointed out - be reassured that it certainly doesn't impact the running quality. 

The next steps are to paint the wheel rims in satin black, dull down the safety valve bonnet and replace the smokebox numberplate with a new plate (are those printed numbers just a little too small?) 

The only issue I have spotted so far is the resistance to the tender wheels, where the pickups are clearly pressing down upon them quite hard. I haven't had chance to load test yet but had no issues with the strength of the Mogul or the Prairie so I have no worries. 

Well done, Dapol 👍

Henry

20220806_194850.jpg

20220806_195955.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Henry 84F said:

Really enjoying my Manor. I've got the DCC fitted version and have only had it on the rolling road for the traditional half an hour forwards and backwards. It's beautifully smooth-running and virtually silent. The slow-speed crawl is exceptional - a real testament to how far Dapol have acted on gearing feedback since the Moguls - and it runs at realistic speeds. The firebox flicker is much improved too. 

Visually, I think it looks great. Is the taper too steep? Perhaps but it certainly doesn't detract from the 'normal viewing angle/distance' that I can see has been discussed at length already. I hadn't noticed the plastic crosshead arrangement until it was pointed out - be reassured that it certainly doesn't impact the running quality. 

The next steps are to paint the wheel rims in satin black, dull down the safety valve bonnet and replace the smokebox numberplate with a new plate (are those printed numbers just a little too small?) 

The only issue I have spotted so far is the resistance to the tender wheels, where the pickups are clearly pressing down upon them quite hard. I haven't had chance to load test yet but had no issues with the strength of the Mogul or the Prairie so I have no worries. 

Well done, Dapol 👍

Henry

20220806_194850.jpg

20220806_195955.jpg

Yes, I noticed the tender wheel resistance when I was ‘height checking’ the fitting of a DG coupling to the rear.

It will be Monday at earliest before I can test it’s haulage. Driving real steam loco tomorrow!

I have now blackened the front face of the wheel rims (tyres) using a Sharpie marker, certainly improves the appearance.

Looking at the above photos .

The front appears to have the same problem as the Hornby A3 Book Law with a upwards Ski ramp front end. The front end is pointing upwards , as are the Buffers, not as bad as Book Law version.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, micklner said:

The front appears to have the same problem as the Hornby A3 Book Law with a upwards Ski ramp front end. The front end is pointing upwards , as are the Buffers, not as bad as Book Law version.

Well it certainly appears to have a slope from the above images but it’s difficult to be absolutely certain when taken on a rolling road. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, PMP99 said:

Yes, I noticed the tender wheel resistance when I was ‘height checking’ the fitting of a DG coupling to the rear.

It will be Monday at earliest before I can test it’s haulage. Driving real steam loco tomorrow!

I have now blackened the front face of the wheel rims (tyres) using a Sharpie marker, certainly improves the appearance.

The model’s appearance would have been properly enhanced by chemically blackened wheels. The jury appears to be still out in the case of the firebox slope. From the images recently posted it’s as expected from months back ,i.e. still there.

Out of curiosity I’d like to have a viewing of one “ face to face “ but there is no stockist within reasonable distance.

ATM on the evidence here, I’m a tad sceptical. I wish to be convinced but it would be unfair on this thread to comment on upcoming comparisons. Just to say,that I would also like a Dapol example. However……..

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I've checked my Lydham Manor for some of the issues raised:

1. ski jump at buffer beam running plate. I put a straight edge from the running plate over the coupled wheels to above the dropped running plate to the buffer beam and found no evidence of an upward distortion. Mine originally looked distorted due to the buffers being at a slight upward angle. Dapol use push fit buffers and shanks and these can be adjusted easily.

2. Chemical blackening of wheels. Dapol have chemically blackened the wheels and most of the motion and I checked the Manor's against both Bachmann and Hornby types. The difference is that Dapol use thicker depth tyres from the metal casting, rather than having much of the tyre depth represented by black plastic, as other makes use. This means that side on, you see only metal for most of the wheel tyre. This means they have a slight sheen.

3. Crosshead and piston rod. These are made in black flexible plastic and I'm not sure why. The crosshead is well detailed and comparable with the metal version on the Prairie. It is only noticeable as the black plastic has a more matt finish than the blackened slide bars and connecting rod.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 hour ago, micklner said:

On my 7819 there is a very minimal upward slope on the running plate over the leading bogie wheel. Incredibly minimal. Good to hear that others are dead straight though.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Forester said:

In case anyone is interested THIS is BR Green.1828933755_50603_58.JPG.54d701bb7a09e3e290fe59ac8853994c.JPG

The original image may, at the moment of exposure, have indeed been BR green, but emulsion differences - Kodak, Fujichrome and Agfa all rendered differently, just as Canon, Sony and Nikon sensors do - age-driven deterioration, digitising and differences among monitors and PCs mean colours can never be relied upon with such a long chain of reproduction, sadly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

A first look at the all new Dapol Manor 7800 class locomotive. This loco holds a very emotional story for me so I had to pre-order her some time back. She’s here now so in this video we do a ‘sort’ of unboxing and have a look at what Dapol have done. A clue for you! It’s brilliant.   Happy to say that running in has greatly smoothed her down. Sand pipe fitted but its a fath lol, Yeah the tender wheels pickups are too stiff, easily sorted using a scalpel, fine screwdriver etc to push the pickup strips off the wheels into the body a little, result much easier running while maintaining pickup. The paint on the running plate is susceptible to chipping.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The original image may, at the moment of exposure, have indeed been BR green, but emulsion differences - Kodak, Fujichrome and Agfa all rendered differently, just as Canon, Sony and Nikon sensors do - age-driven deterioration, digitising and differences among monitors and PCs mean colours can never be relied upon with such a long chain of reproduction, sadly. 

Remind me again how many scores of locos Currently carry BR Green?

Then find me one Currently carrying Dapol Mud Green.

Regards.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

A first look at the all new Dapol Manor 7800 class locomotive. This loco holds a very emotional story for me so I had to pre-order her some time back. She’s here now so in this video we do a ‘sort’ of unboxing and have a look at what Dapol have done. A clue for you! It’s brilliant.   Happy to say that running in has greatly smoothed her down. Sand pipe fitted but its a fath lol, Yeah the tender wheels pickups are too stiff, easily sorted using a scalpel, fine screwdriver etc to push the pickup strips off the wheels into the body a little, result much easier running while maintaining pickup. The paint on the running plate is susceptible to chipping.

Badly bent distorted Plastic? Cabrail on the nearside. Missing Lining on bottom of nearside centre splasher, plastic crosshead penny piching at the extreme, centre Tender wheel not touching Rail and/ or binding  and a very plastic "icky" looking Green overall  finish, similar shade to the paint Hornby also use recently.

Not very impressive.

Edited by micklner
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Plus, as has been said a million times, you can't use the real paint on a 1:76 model because it won't look right. It will look way too dark. You have to interpret the colour and as none of us see colours quite the same, what looks right or OK to one person will look wrong to another. Add to that the fact that you're working off paint swatches about 2in by 1in that represent the paint that's available to the Chinese factory  - and anyone who ever decorated their house knows how paint swatches don't always match what's in the tin....... (CJL)

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1