The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, friscopete said:

We had a largish Sainsburys delivery just now .I gave em all a rub down ......

Wow! Do have to rub down sainsburys as well?

Over at Waitrose, we have a little man that comes along to attend to that.......

• Funny 5

I had to take Mrs. Ron to hospital for a minor op. early this morning. 

After dropping her off I went to Tesco to get some of our weekly supplies before it got too busy.

I was in there at 0715 !!!!

There were quite a few bog rolls on the shelves. Not a huge amount, but the shelves were not completely empty.

They only had little 4 roll packs and there were notices stating a max of 2 packs each.

I noticed that none of the few people passing that area were interested in them.

The dried Pasta section was fully stocked with various types of Pasta.

The notice said a max of 6 dried Pasta items.

I took my old Mum shopping to a very large Sainsbury's last week.

The very large frozen veg and oven chips section has been stripped bare.

Our local Tesco's this morning, was fully stocked with all sorts of frozen veg.

• Like 4

Perhaps one of you more farcebook-savvy individuals could start a suggestion for replacement toilet roll?

A use for all the spam & junk mail that gets shoved through one's letter box?

OK, so the shiny stuff is a bit like Izal.....but when in need, etc etc?

Instructions as to how to quarter the sheets, and put a hole in one corner for the string [explain to facebook users what string is, please? Plus, what it looks like?] would be essential.

• RMweb Gold

I went to my local Morrisons yesterday morning as I usually do. Got there at 09:45 and it was busier than usual at that time on a Sunday, but they were well stocked and even had pasta & loo roll! There was the odd moron trying to control a trolley piled high with tinned & long life products, although I'd imagine they'll have other health issues to worry about rather than the virus given the high fat/sugar/cholesterol content of most of the junk they were hoarding. 

Points to whoever was in control of the store Radio however. Stayin' Alive on repeat. Well played sir, well played!

Tom.  

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

12 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

The Bum Gun, of course.

Ahah!  The dreaded Ass Blaster.  Can there be a Westerner alive who wasn't caught out by the water pressure when they used one for the first time?

Edited to add as a Public Service ... https://southeastasiabackpacker.com/bum-gun-beginners-guide/

Edited by spikey
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I had to take Mrs. Ron to hospital for a minor op. early this morning. 

After dropping her off I went to Tesco to get some of our weekly supplies before it got too busy.

I was in there at 0715 !!!!

There were quite a few bog rolls on the shelves. Not a huge amount, but the shelves were not completely empty.

They only had little 4 roll packs and there were notices stating a max of 2 packs each.

I noticed that none of the few people passing that area were interested in them.

The dried Pasta section was fully stocked with various types of Pasta.

The notice said a max of 6 dried Pasta items.

I took my old Mum shopping to a very large Sainsbury's last week.

The very large frozen veg and oven chips section has been stripped bare.

Our local Tesco's this morning, was fully stocked with all sorts of frozen veg.

I trust Mrs Ron is doing well.

The situation in shops seems variable.  Our Tesco branch does not do shelf stocking overnight (cut outa. while back to reduce staff costs) so early morning visits are pointless - there were a few small packs of bog rolls on the shelves limited to one per customer w but we didn't bother as out r normal policy is to stock up with 16 roll packs of a particular brand whenever they are reduced by c.30% and I added a couple of 9 roll packs the week before last because there was a 12% reduction in price if you bought two.  So we always carry a pretty good stock and at times it has risen to 112 rolls although it is some way below that at present - and there are four adults plus two cats in the house.  Plenty of kitchen roll in stock today so obviously they have received stock plus sufficient pasta to keep herself happy.  Frozen veg stock also appeared good so No.2 freezer has had a couple of items added - which reminds me that I must update its stock list.

Basically having normally carried fairly good stocks of all sorts of things through buying when prices are reduced we haven't needed to do much in the way of additional purchases in recent weeks and are now generally shopping at normal consumption levels plus occasionally buying two of something non-perishable where we would normally buy one.   I think we have enough bleach available to disinfect half the town - all bought at reduced prices or bogoffs.

The nbig problem is is the raifding gangs from out of town who came in hordes over the weekend and stripped Tesco bare in a number of areas.  if people simply shopped where they normally shopped there would be few problems because obviously stocks are generally being replenished at roughly normal rates.  it's not the shops - it's the herd who are the problem.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

Aaaah .... the cats. There's the problem .... get rid of the cats and you won't need 112 rolls in stock ;)!! When I told ours what you had in stock, they just looked at me and said 'Meow?'

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

There wasn't any uncooked chicken anywhere local yesterday so that must be in the mix somewhere.

Monday: Tuna and Pasta

Tuesday: Chicken and Rice

Wednesday: Tuna and Rice

Thursday: Chicken and Pasta

Friday: Lets get a Just Eat

Saturday: Sod it, lets go down the Indian

Sunday: God, I need a full roast and a pint

All this reminds me of Monty Pyhons Flying Circus and the Spam wonderful Spam sketch.

Spam and chips

spam egg and chips

chips and Spam 

egg chips and spam

etc etc etc

keep safe and be sensible

Robert

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I trust Mrs Ron is doing well.

She's been waiting over 6 hours for her turn on the list.

I've dusted off the insurance policies, just in case. :D

12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

.........So we always carry a pretty good stock and at times it has risen to 112 rolls although it is some way below that at present - and there are four adults plus two cats in the house.  ....

Blimey Mike, that's posh. You've trained your cats to wipe their backsides with toilet paper.

Well, you do live around Henley.

I suppose all the cats around there are well mannered?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Romans did indeed have a version of thee 'Bum Gun'. Apparently, it was a forked stick with some sponge installed in the cleft. 

One wonders if such an implement would, indeed, remove/reduce the need for loo roll.  Splinters would be a bu66er, though....How much would one charge for removing a splinter, I wonder. 

"Call for Octavius Andrexa! Discreet service always provided! We seek where others dare to look!"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, spikey said:

Ahah!  The dreaded Ass Blaster.  Can there be a Westerner alive who wasn't caught out by the water pressure when they used one for the first time?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!    

Inadvertent colonic irrigation - celebrities pay a lot to have that administered, you know! :jester:

Both Tesco and the Aldi over the road here look as if they've been swept by marauding hordes, the only things that DON'T appear to be being "stockpiled" at present seem to be disposable babies nappies and bags of crisps!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

The Romans did indeed have a version of thee 'Bum Gun'. Apparently, it was a forked stick with some sponge installed in the cleft. 

One wonders if such an implement would, indeed, remove/reduce the need for loo roll.  Splinters would be a bu66er, though....How much would one charge for removing a splinter, I wonder. 

"Call for Octavius Andrexa! Discreet service always provided! We seek where others dare to look!"

Complete with flushing channel underneath and smaller one in front for washing. Quite good remains of it at Housesteads, on Hadrian's Wall.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Complete with flushing channel underneath and smaller one in front for washing. Quite good remains of it at Housesteads, on Hadrian's Wall.

Yes indeed, I've walked around there many times. I haven't used the facilities though. Well, not yet, anyway......

• RMweb Gold

I have today visited three supermarkets. If I tell you my total spend was not much more than £50, you'll probably accept I was not panic buying. And I didn't even look for loo rolls in any of them. I have seven indoors, which should last me quite some time, thankyou. Veg and bits in one shop, other veg in another. Lidl, where meat is usually plentiful and cheap, had enjoyed a plague of locusts and had virtually none. SuperU had plenty of meat - but not the cuts I or most other people wanted, evidently. No mince, for example. I saw chavvy couples throwing anything remotely edible from the chillers and freezers into their trolley. Humanity at its lowest, selfishest ebb.

I visited the chemist, where printed instructions on the door made it clear we must stand a metre apart in the queue, which explained why the queue at 14.15 opening time (Monday morning doesn't exist for much of France) was standing outside in the drizzle. I asked the masked assistant if I could have two months supply of meds - my prescription is monthly until June - but no. Odd, inasmuchas at another chemist I was once given a three-month supply in one packet. These are blood-pressure tablets FFS! What could I not do misusing 30 that would be enabled by the thrill of having 60 at once? Perhaps if I'd been served by Stephanie herself - young, pretty, Docteur en Pharmacie - I might have been indulged......

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I see one Aus supermarket is limiting access in the first hour of opening to the elderly and disabled - a good idea (in general).

It looks like all supermarkets here are jumping on that one. However the allocated time seems to be at 7.00 or so on Wednesday and for an hour.

So how many will make it at that time, especially if they need to rely on others for transport?

The other thing is, judging by the number of empty shelves tonight, what will there be for them to buy? Fresh meat was cleared, as was tinned goods of virtually all tips and packaged food like rice or pasta. Not a stick of bread to be seen.

As for toilet paper, I haven't seen any for about 10 days. Down to last 4 double length rolls. Still a friend had to buy a 30 pack for himself, so maybe an opportunity there. I might have to say nice things about Manchester United though, as a price tag! That will hurt.

Edit to add

No shortage of Easter Eggs, but no sign of Hot Cross Buns!

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Reorte said:

How much longer until the stockpilers have stockpiled so much that they stop emptying the shelves?

When they run out of storage space/cash?

• Agree 2

I have 40  + loo rolls with out hording .I bought about 5 packs of nine at Lidl a while ago  before the virus /zombie problem because its cheap and also good and would save me  going there  often as I dont buy much from them .Add on a few via Sainsburys delivery  today  and if I dont eat any ultra hot curries from a takeaway it should last a while .On the plus side I have been ballasting my 009 layout at last .

• RMweb Premium

Lots of mince in my Morrissons . A multipack offer of 3 for a tenner , so if they really don't want to encourage bulk buying so there is enough for everyone , what's with the bulk buying discount?

Not a chicken breast to be had . Shame as I fancied chicken curry tonight . Oh well I daresay someones at home with a gross of chicken breasts and toilet rolls.

I see that a US stockpiler/ebay shark has been found in possession of 17,700 bottles of hand sanitiser.

Evidently he's being "investigated"...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51909045

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, Legend said:

Lots of mince in my Morrissons . A multipack offer of 3 for a tenner , so if they really don't want to encourage bulk buying so there is enough for everyone , what's with the bulk buying discount?

Not a chicken breast to be had . Shame as I fancied chicken curry tonight . Oh well I daresay someones at home with a gross of chicken breasts and toilet rolls.

I had turkey curry last night - may have done me a favour as I spent £2.60 on meat for a meal for three of us - usually spend £3.40 and have too much chicken.