RMweb

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

I mentioned somewhere upthread (and slightly tongue-in-cheek) that DIY big sheds and garden centres would be the next places to get "hit" _ I may not have been that far off ;)

Interestingly last Wednesday I went to a large B&Q and it was almost deserted, I was easily able to social distance from the few customers in there.

The bad bit was the tills, they have done away with the self service tills, which being a DIY shop were well spaced out and replaced them with normal queuing checkouts. Bad idea.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Rather than attack shops like Tesco and claiming their effort to assist NHS workers is a publicity stunt why not let them fine tune their arrangements so they work better going forward? 

As it worked perfectly at the branch we use it is obvious that things might vary from place to place.  Our daughter was one of approximately 30 members of HNHS staff who shpopped there this morning.  And every one of them received a bunch of flowers with the compliments of Tesco - a nice gesture and far better than throwing away flowers which could not be sold but had been ordered for today.  But then our branch - despite ravagers coming from elsewhere to help themselves to as much as they can get away with - seems well organised with Over 70s getting preference from staff and customers for getting in first thing (which might alter this week with the change to fixed days for us oldies) and with an express checkout queue for over 70s to get them out of the general queue.  plus strict enforcement of social distancing at the checkouts including lines marked on the floor with tape to delineate the 'separation zone'.

Our only complaint is shortages of various items particularly certain vegetables such as onions although we did plan in advance for that possibility and make alternative arrangements.  The problem isn't Tesco here - it is people who don't normally shop here coming in from elsewhere and that really needs to be stamped on because anything else apart it is a way of spreading infection.  Some of them don't even know the way into the car park!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

My local B&Q yesterday was pretty much as normal for a Saturday.

What we need is to generate a shortage of emulsion paint/shelf units/lawnmowers [*] rumour to distract the idiots from food/toilet roll shopping.

[*] insert item of choice.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

My local B&Q yesterday was pretty much as normal for a Saturday.

What we need is to generate a shortage of emulsion paint/shelf units/lawnmowers [*] rumour to distract the idiots from food/toilet roll shopping.

[*] insert item of choice.

Which reminds me - i wonder how long I might have to wait to get a delivery from  Jewsons?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I also understand that it is nowadays possible / common for people to become affluent / self-consciously successful, without having one iota of common sense or social responsibility

It's been that way since the Norman Conquest but, generally, someone else did the shopping for them. ;)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Our local electrical shop sold out of freezers in half a day. The owner says he doesn't know when he will be able to get any more.

I wonder where people are putting all these extra freezers?   I keep getting visions of houses with no room to move inside due to piles of toilet paper, tinned food, and now freezers jammed into every corner.  But what are folk putting in the freezers I wonder?

And another strange thing - I regularly buy tins of prunes at our local Tesco or Waitrose and I often wonder if I'm the only person who buys them because there are always loads on the shelf even if I shop late in the day.  But now Tesco have none at all.  Is everybody trapping rabbits to cook them with prunes or are they just going along shelves chucking the next tin, any tin, into their trolley without even looking to see what's in it?  I hope all these newcomers to prune consumption realuise most of the tinned ones come witha stone in the middle and it's rather unwise to swallow it:rolleyes:. But at least those stacks of toilet paper might suddenly find a use.

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

In both, entire families were milling noisily around, making it impossible to 'social distance'; as if it were any regular Sunday morning.

It was noticeable that the parents were late twenties / early thirties, and clearly affluent / self-consciously successful.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not terms I automatically associate with safewa Morrisons in Bodmin, but its been a while.

thats a joke by the way,  I used to shop there often so I presume I dragged the place down at least a little bit ;) 

• Funny 2

39 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder where people are putting all these extra freezers?   I keep getting visions of houses with no room to move inside due to piles of toilet paper.  But what are folk putting in the freezers I wonder?

But at least those stacks of toilet paper might suddenly find a use.

The freezers are for the toilet paper they are about to need!! obvious innit ;)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, LBRJ said:

The freezers are for the toilet paper they are about to need!! obvious innit ;)

Ready cooled for one of the "emerging" symptoms.....

Edited by Gilbert
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2020 at 07:30, polybear said:

Make a cup of Tea, save the bag.  Same again the next time.

Then use two used bags for Tea No. 3 - a bit less milk required (good job, under the circumstances...) but perfectly drinkable.

It works! A passable cup of tea has just been consumed!

It reminds me of a memory from many years ago. I used to regularly go into the office of the Dartmouth shipping agent for Renwick Wilton & Dobson and there always was a string draped across the back office with old tea bags clipped on with pegs. Dear old Eric, he was quite parsimonious!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

or are they just going along shelves chucking the next tin, any tin, into their trolley without even looking to see what's in it?

Having witnessed the plagues of locusts tearing through Aldi and Tescos, it seems that they are just taking whatever is there, just in case.  The number of stacked trolleys in the queues at the checkouts is just like Christmas Eve shopping.

At least having a trolly in front at the queue is imposing a certain amount of Social Distancing, not that the mood appears to be social as they glare at each others goodies.....

• Like 1

Local Budgens seemed reasonably stocked on Saturday, and I also saw toilet paper in another small local chain store outlet. I’d guess that this is because they have minimal parking, and are away from the densely populated areas like Welland Road and Lincoln Road (Morrison’s has a substantial walk-in trade, and a high population in the adjacent area, for example) 

I haven’t seen Easter Eggs, although I haven’t been looking (unlike my good wife, I only visit areas of the store containing things I’m actually looking for). Hot Cross Buns are certainly abundant, though. 

Edited by rockershovel

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder where people are putting all these extra freezers?   I keep getting visions of houses with no room to move inside due to piles of toilet paper, tinned food, and now freezers jammed into every corner.  But what are folk putting in the freezers I wonder?

And another strange thing - I regularly buy tins of prunes at our local Tesco or Waitrose and I often wonder if I'm the only person who buys them because there are always loads on the shelf even if I shop late in the day.  But now Tesco have none at all.  Is everybody trapping rabbits to cook them with prunes or are they just going along shelves chucking the next tin, any tin, into their trolley without even looking to see what's in it?  I hope all these newcomers to prune consumption realuise most of the tinned ones come witha stone in the middle and it's rather unwise to swallow it:rolleyes:. But at least those stacks of toilet paper might suddenly find a use.

I suspect they will really enjoy a power cut! Serve them right!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Not terms I automatically associate with safewa Morrisons in Bodmin, but its been a while.

thats a joke by the way,  I used to shop there often so I presume I dragged the place down at least a little bit ;) 

I remember that place opening! I was working in Polperro, staying in Looe at the time. Along with Tesco arriving in Truro and Camborne, it was pretty much the first modern supermarket in Cornwall. It was quite the nine-days’-wonder and people flocked there to gaze at the modern age. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You know all these numpties hoarding tins makes me want to become a burglar. . . Break in, remove all the labels, mix em all up and then nick the tin opener if they have one. Oh and a liberal sprinkle of chilli powder over the loo roll mountain :wink_mini:

Scenes from open all hours and the unlabelled tins playing out all over the country :P

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

21 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Break in, remove all the labels, mix em all up and then nick the tin opener if they have one.

If there's tins of dog or cat food, so much the better!!!

• Funny 1

55 minutes ago, polybear said:

:thankyou:

Genius. I'm going to extrapolate this over 12 weeks: so if I've got this right every other tea is a new bag and every inbetween tea is increasing numbers of previous bags in a new cup. I guess when you can't fit any water in the cup it might be time to locate the remove the oldest tea bag and chuck it on the compost? By my calculations - never was good at maths - that is remove one every four days because you have to accommodate the ever stronger but also weaker tea bags. :no2: 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Actually, it was the Beacon greengrocers and Homebase.

Regards,

john isherwood.

Just back from our local Tesco's. I haven't been out for two weeks, but thought I'd help my wife with shopping this morning. I was fearing the worst....

Car park was only 2/3rds full and we parked easily. Walked in to find plenty of fresh food, bread, toilet rolls. Even managed to get some beer and wine. Much to my surprise shelves were reasonable with everything we needed. Limited to two items of most things, but no problem at all. Finished shopping and went straight to a check out with no queue.

My wife nearly clouted me as I said I couldn't see what all the fuss was about and it must be fake news....:D

Talking to some of the girls there about things and was told yesterday was manic with people in the store at 09.30 and then 50 yards queues for the checkout.

9-10 this morning was for those vulnerable and over 70's, so a pleasure to shop.

I really hope the message is starting to get through although the stories about yesterday would suggest not.

• Like 4