More model ideas

19 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Our next newly tooled model in OO/4mm will be announced this coming Friday, Sept 1st. Place your bets!

Cheers!

Fran 

This is the Age of the Train.... HST...

Also ran - Voyager/Meridian, Class 185

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, No Decorum said:

So we can stop adding “More model ideas”?

Never! :) (and the several years of announcements was in response to the Class 37) :) 

Edited by McC
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, McC said:

Never! :) (and the several years of announcements was in response to the Class 37) :) 

I think an announcement calendar is required on your website with a countdown to the next announcement, colour coded for locos (steam / diesel), coaches & wagons and new, re-run, new liveries and the odd spoof!

Get your competitors nervous & customers on edge / saving up!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, reddragon said:

I think an announcement calendar is required on your website with a countdown to the next announcement, colour coded for locos (steam / diesel), coaches & wagons and new, re-run, new liveries and the odd spoof!

Get your competitors nervous & customers on edge / saving up!

I think we're achieving both without any published schedule  :) 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Limited geographical spread?  They ran on the Scottish, Eastern, and London Midland region and even strayed onto the Southern and Western regions on inter regional freight and passenger.  They regularly ran on passenger services around Scotland, were mainstays of the Trans Pennine for years from Newcastle to Holyhead, dieselised the Great Eastern, replaced the Coronations on the LMR out of Euston and ran pre-Deltic expresses on the Eastern.  So, they would work alongside the 31, 37, 50 and 55 in the Accurascale range, and would haul Mk2b and c coaches once airbraked in the 1970s.  Plus they were the preferred haulage for many years for the Royal Train, a job which got them onto other non-allocation regions.

Colour schemes are more varied than the Manor which came in green or black.  For the 40 you have original non-yellow bib green, green with yellow bib, green with full yellow ends, blue pre-TOPS, blue with TOPS numbers and the large logo livery one carried in preservation - as many colour variations as the Class 50.

It also ticks that transition era alleged sweet spot, and are a cult class.

Frankly, it's a no brainer.

“ strayed onto western and southern “ = limited geographical spread 

briefly ran class 1 passenger before they realised 350 tons of pig iron , with a 100 hp engine didn’t cut it ,

colour schemes - yeah, green or blue . The others shades of either .

Cult status ? I’m not sure - they seemed to up north in the day , but that was 45 years ago….You’d have to be quite old to remember them, I doubt the appeal to anyone sub 50 - - they can’t nip down to chaverton parkway and see one go past on a stock move or some jaundice colour test train.

It is interesting though that the 50 and 55 are very popular but I’d put that down to a) not very many of them b) fantastic names as again the paint schemes are a bit limited but the 50 wins as large logo was very popular on any loco.

If they’d put LL on a potato it would have been popular .

But this is just my opinion, you have yours , everyone will differ.

Maybe I’ll be surprised on Friday with an accura 40 ( how big will that box be !), we shall see .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

briefly ran class 1 passenger before they realised 350 tons of pig iron , with a 100 hp engine didn’t cut it ,

Cult status ? I’m not sure - they seemed to up north in the day , but that was 45 years ago….You’d have to be quite old to remember them, I doubt the appeal to anyone sub 50 - - they can’t nip down to chaverton parkway and see one go past on a stock move or some jaundice colour test train.

It is interesting though that the 50 and 55 are very popular but I’d put that down to a) not very many of them b) fantastic names as again the paint schemes are a bit limited but the 50 wins as large logo was very popular on any loco.

Maybe I’ll be surprised on Friday with an accura 40 ( how big will that box be !), we shall see .

Western region mainly not bothered by them, older than me remember the Westerns, my age and younger want their EE V16 intercooled. 40s were just another loco, nothing wrong with them, just not that special, especially compared with the intercooled version.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 97406 said:

One great thing about an Accurascale 40 would be the DCC sound option. The Accurathrash speaker won’t fit in the Bachmann one unless you get the milling machine out. 

That’s one of the reasons why a 40 is more likely than some other suggestions Accurathrash and lighting is going to be easier in the bigger loco’s, so I think AS releases are going to be trending towards larger sized locomotives.

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, MJI said:

Western region mainly not bothered by them, older than me remember the Westerns, my age and younger want their EE V16 intercooled. 40s were just another loco, nothing wrong with them, just not that special, especially compared with the intercooled version.

It depends what you grew up with. I only ever saw pictures of Westerns and 50s in books as a kid. I lived in earshot of a very busy junction in South Manchester, so had 25s and 40s as the soundtrack. Scared the hell out of me thrashing through Navigation Road station on the ICI hoppers or the like. Whilst I like and have models of those other classes, non strike a chord as much as a 40 (or 25) does. It’ll be the same for you with your choice of traction.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Legend said:

313/314/315/507/508 . Please . Come on you’ve been teasing me for a long time . We know from the Revolution Guys that someone was  proposing an OO version . 

Hi Legend,

Can confirm that it aint us, but will also confirm we very much wanted to do it until we learned that another party had begun working on it, so we gave way. Pity, as I used to travel to work on them (313s) I had a real soft spot for them, but you can't win them all.

Mind you, that was pre-COVID and we still havent seen them announced yet.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

59 minutes ago, 97406 said:

It depends what you grew up with. I only ever saw pictures of Westerns and 50s in books as a kid. I lived in earshot of a very busy junction in South Manchester, so had 25s and 40s as the soundtrack. Scared the hell out of me thrashing through Navigation Road station on the ICI hoppers or the like. Whilst I like and have models of those other classes, non strike a chord as much as a 40 (or 25) does. It’ll be the same for you with your choice of traction.

Totally true - what you remember from the days of youth completely influenced what you want produced .

I think HST would be great for a wide swathe of interests / eras / places 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Legend,

Can confirm that it aint us, but will also confirm we very much wanted to do it until we learned that another party had begun working on it, so we gave way. Pity, as I used to travel to work on them (313s) I had a real soft spot for them, but you can't win them all.

Mind you, that was pre-COVID and we still havent seen them announced yet.

Cheers!

Fran 

Time for you to pull a " Hattons 66 " style coup ?

If it's of my youth, in Liverpool, but close to a power station, then 'as a nipper' it was Black 5's and 8F's, and as a teenager 25's and 40's.

The 25 is more than covered.

The 40 has one option, and one possible on the horizon.  ...  It would be nice.

Steamies have a separate thread.

Al.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about....  🤷‍♂️

I'm far from in my dotage and I saw virtually every single 40 including on heavy Boat Trains. The only things I saw more often were Rats which were everywhere, and obviously units and AC Electrics.

Cult status? Well there was two green ones running about in the 1980s that spent most of their time on Railtours. Often used on what you would now call Thunderbird duty for steam hauled trains. One was even featured in Rocket 150. 

200 built. Plenty of namers. Seven preserved including one in the NRM. Got virtually everywhere. One is often featured in films and television programmes due to a famous robbery. More people know about that than know that most diesel classes even existed.

I think we must have very different ideas of what constitutes popular. 

BUT I can't see what's wrong with the Bachmann version. Too many people just asking for repeats of perfectly good models. 

Jason

• Like 2

Mentioned previously, won't mention again after this but more thought for 'servicing access' should be made - by all manufacturers.

Accurascale are one of the most proactive, so it could start here.

Wheels - easy removal, clean, replacement without damage.

Bogie bushes - easy access - 'little dab' before that squeak starts.

Motors - easy access, possibly from underneath - locomotive tanks for diesels for example - for lubrication and / or removal / replacement.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Totally true - what you remember from the days of youth completely influenced what you want produced .

I think HST would be great for a wide swathe of interests / eras / places 

A Valenta sound pack would be great. I’d be in the market for a couple of power cars in IC Executive as a starter, as the aim is to have at least one of every loco up until the early 90s. I already have some Railroad ones in blue and IC Swallow which will do for now but who knows if a decent one was to be released? 

• Like 1