More model ideas

On 18/03/2024 at 09:30, atom3624 said:

Other diesels could be the West Country based hydraulics - 35 Hymek, 42/43 Warship and 52 Western.  All 3 of these have a disproportionately large following.  Accurascale variants could be pretty interesting!!

All three have been tooled and IIRC don't fly off the shelves either. I'd much rather effort was put into stuff that hadn't already got model that are adequate to most.

• Agree 5

If you go back over the various wish lists that were done for a few years, you can use the data to see where the trends are. Matching this to models on bargain shelves tell you what sells and where the demand is. 

Some models have been made that were mid polling, others higher have been picked but some remain. As such you expect these to be options, but then so too are others that have been done and need the dcc refresh - particularly some steam options. Does a retool make the process cheaper and more efficient so stops the price rises that now make some think twice about which model to get. The fact that tooling options mean that more varients can be done gives hope that this no longer is a reason not to make a model. Cue the B16 and its varients being pushed front and centre. 

What I would propose is that some models are wanted by those looking to get another model. I would suggest these are:

8F
B16 1, 2 and 3, 
BR standard 3
Ivatt 2MT and 2MT-T
Hall Class
Bagnall tanks  - Victor, Vulcan, Valiant
J21 / J25
A8
GWR Large Prairie 

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 2

On 08/03/2024 at 22:42, XChris said:

I would think a DMU would be expected first, then maybe an EMU

I think you could be right. Accurascale would be a good choice to undercut Bachmann again with the release of something like the Turbostar - which Electrostar option... 

Other DMUs to consider I think would be:

Voyager/Meridian 220/221/222
Class 185 - with Desiro options
All singing all dancing IEP - 800/801/802... etc
HST... 

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

I think you could be right. Accurascale would be a good choice to undercut Bachmann again with the release of something like the Turbostar - which Electrostar option... 

HST... 

IC

LOADS of DMUs

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

If you go back over the various wish lists that were done for a few years, you can use the data to see where the trends are. Matching this to models on bargain shelves tell you what sells and where the demand is. 

Some models have been made that were mid polling, others higher have been picked but some remain. As such you expect these to be options, but then so too are others that have been done and need the dcc refresh - particularly some steam options. Does a retool make the process cheaper and more efficient so stops the price rises that now make some think twice about which model to get. The fact that tooling options mean that more varients can be done gives hope that this no longer is a reason not to make a model. Cue the B16 and its varients being pushed front and centre. 

What I would propose is that some models are wanted by those looking to get another model. I would suggest these are:

8F
B16 1, 2 and 3, 
BR standard 3
Ivatt 2MT and 2MT-T
Hall Class
Bagnall tanks  - Victor, Vulcan, Valiant
J21 / J25
A8
GWR Large Prairie 

I'd say the Saint and County are pretty much open goals for the GWR, maybe a decent mod Hall.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

All three have been tooled and IIRC don't fly off the shelves either. I'd much rather effort was put into stuff that hadn't already got model that are adequate to most.

Though all the major hydraulics have flown off the shelves in the past, and there are proper flywheel-drive mechanisms inside all of them.

From my viewpoint, all but the Class 42 Warship are, pretty much "good enough" 21st century models, though generally lacking the most recent DCC "enhancements", which don't interest me anyway.

A couple of Accurascale 42s would tempt me, but I'd be unlikely to consider replacing any of the others.  

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

HST... 

TBH, there are plenty of DMU and EMU openings without going up against any existing models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

HST... 

I was only thinking that yesterday, I don’t think they would be scared to replace something already available and a 185 would be an instant win, with the other units in the desiro family available after with smart tooling such as 360, 350, 450, 444 then maybe even the 380?

The voyager unit is a low hanging fruit again along with the 170, which again could lead to 168, 171 and 172 toolings and then it’s similar body to the electro stars I believe if the tooling was designed well! 

Being selfish I’d like an all singing all dancing 802, even though mine failed on me today! The Hornby one is okay but it’s definitely a toy rather than a model…

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Hmmmm ? .............................. not the largest of classes nor operating over a particularly enormous area - and not having a huge range of livery options, I have my doubts.

I’d argue they have operated over an incredibly large area! WCML Glasgow to Manchester, ECML Newcastle to Leeds, Cleethorpes to Liverpool via Sheffield, the transpennine route itself, Blackpool, Barrow-in-Furness.

If you were in the north, you’d be hard pressed to be at a location that hasn’t been visited by them! They’ve had 3 major liveries with multiple one off’s and even then there’s been various branding removed and applied to vary those major liveries.

I think this is a case of North vs. South, SWT 450’s have been done and I’d argue they go over a smaller geographical area, albeit a more concentrated number of them. But they have also carried less liveries and variations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Hasn't this one been done twice in recent years?

That particular large prairie has, but no attempt has been made for an RTR Chirchward 31xx or 3150, nor the Collett 1938 31xx.  The 81xx has not been done in recent times or to current standards.   The last two are admittedly relatively small classes but that has not prevented RTR production and good sales of Beattie Well Tanks or Adams Radials. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

That particular large prairie has, but no attempt has been made for an RTR Chirchward 31xx or 3150, nor the Collett 1938 31xx.  The 81xx has not been done in recent times or to current standards. 

Both the 31XX and 81XX have already announced by Dapol though!

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/84925/4S-041-008-Dapol-Large-Prairie-3146-GWR-Green-Great-Western

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/84943/4S-041-014-Dapol-Large-Prairie-8101-BR-Green-Late-Crest

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Which leaves the 3150, a class of 30 mostly allox South Wales and South Midlands, and the Collett 1938 31xx, a class of 5 mostly South Wales.  The 3150s, extinct by 1961, had no.4 boilers and were intended for main line transfer freight work, but also found a niche as bankers at Severn Tunnel Jc, and the 1938 31xx were a rebuild of this class with higher boiler pressure and 5'3" driving wheels. also extinct by 1961.  Collett intended to rebuild all of the 3150s to this specification but the war interfered and Hawksworth was content to sign off on more 5101s.

I would like to see an RTR 1938 31xx, but have to admit that the small number of locos and limited geographical spread makes this unlikely.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

HST..

Whilst I think you are on the right lines, I aren't sure about the need for a better 80X. They are around to stay so another model is probably sustainable but the only thing wrong with the Hornby one IMO is the RRP! (Oh, and the pantograph)

HST I think would be a good option however I do wonder what's going to come from Bachmann with respect to their prototype HST, surely they aren't hoping Hornby are going to be making coaches for it? If Bachmann did the coaches then it would be daft not to do the class 43 power cars too.

185 is the main one for me that I'd be keen on although Voyagers would also be on the list to buy.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, XChris said:

a 185 would be an instant win, with the other units in the desiro family available after with smart tooling such as 360, 350, 450, 444 then maybe even the 380?

I agree, a 185 would be a great choice.

It's a popular DMU and covers a relatively large area including up here in Scotland.

Using the tooling for the various desiro classes would be a smart move.

I'd love to see a Scotrail 380 in RTR form!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I agree, a 185 would be a great choice.

It's a popular DMU and covers a relatively large area including up here in Scotland.

Using the tooling for the various desiro classes would be a smart move.

I'd love to see a Scotrail 380 in RTR form!

Hi @scottrains29,

We did semi-seriously look at doing the 185 a few years ago when there were strong rumours that Irish Rail were going to buy a pool of them and regauge, but they opted for more 22000 ICRs instead.

I may be wrong on this (I wasnt the project manager and it was a few years ago) but the 185s are longer than other members of the Desiro family car wise, so it's hard to spin off a family from them).

Cheers!

Fran 

• Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

About 8'' longer than 450 cars and a whopping 10' longer than 444 cars !

think you've got that the wrong way round - 444 cars are almost the same length as 185, 450 vehicles are much shorter

• Like 1