More model ideas

21 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Surely anyone with a WCML layout is now in a good place stock wise in terms of what's available? Assuming Bachmann had done plenty of suitable liveries there are the aforementioned Voyagers, Pendos but also 92s, 66s, 90s, and their appropriate stock. 350s would sit nicely with any of this IMO.

Would argue there is still a market for WCML stock (including the ones listed). Bachmann 90s are insanity money. Bachmann voyagers did not get quite the same DCC treatment as their newer stock. Hornby Pendos are pretty tame detail wise, liveries for Virgin are now discontinued and several variations not represented (Avanti Special liveries, Transition White Livery, Late Virgin Livery). No LNWR Class 350 from Bachmann. (I could also be mistaken but there's no recent Virgin Class 86 from Heljan).

Then you have some other misc for London-Birminghan routes. 319s, 321s, 313s, 378s, 710s, LUL

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2022 at 14:36, dj_crisp said:

Also I've been doing a bit of research and again the front headcode roof area seems to be the only difference on the 116 driving cars... with a different centre car layout. Very happy to be corrected!!

There were several differences within the 116s, with different cab front layouts and lighting, and two type of centre trailer, a composite and a full second.  The changes were introduced with different production batches, the original cab style being a 2-character headcode flanked by marker lights on each side, then a version with no headcode box and 3 lamps on the bottom of the cab with a 4th on top of the destination box that all of these units featured above the cab windows. 

119s had the alternative centre trailers, one a full second and one a buffet, as did the 120s.  The last built batch of 120s, orignally allocated to the WR west of Bristol, had 4-character headcode boxes.  These seem to have been the first withdrawn and AFAIK none were xfer off the WR.  Again AFAiK, the seating for the Baccy 117 is fine for the DBMS and DMS on 116s, but not the centre trailer, even the composite.

• Thanks 1

A couple of gremlins in your post @The Johnster

The 1st batch of 116s had fronts with the three marker lights below the windscreens and one above the destination box. The 2nd and 3rd batches had two track headcodes below the windscreens and lights either side of the headcodes. 

The last WR batch of Swindon Cross Country DMUs (with 4 track headcodes below the windscreens) were allocated to Tyseley from new, transferring to Devon/Cornwall after a year or two.

A cascade appears to have taken place involving the 120s from Tyseley to the south west, some of the class 118s from Devon/Cornwall to Bristol and a number of class 119s from Bristol to Tyseley (it appears , based on allocations shown of railcar.co.uk).

I am also eagerly awaiting RTR class 116s, preferably including examples in their guises in the early/mid 60s (Tyseley ones 😉)!! 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2022 at 20:55, Delta_Who said:

Would argue there is still a market for WCML stock (including the ones listed). Bachmann 90s are insanity money. Bachmann voyagers did not get quite the same DCC treatment as their newer stock. Hornby Pendos are pretty tame detail wise, liveries for Virgin are now discontinued and several variations not represented (Avanti Special liveries, Transition White Livery, Late Virgin Livery). No LNWR Class 350 from Bachmann. (I could also be mistaken but there's no recent Virgin Class 86 from Heljan).

Then you have some other misc for London-Birminghan routes. 319s, 321s, 313s, 378s, 710s, LUL

Can’t forget 323’s or the 325’s, would definitely like to see these. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

A couple of gremlins in your post @The Johnster

The 1st batch of 116s had fronts with the three marker lights below the windscreens and one above the destination box. The 2nd and 3rd batches had two track headcodes below the windscreens and lights either side of the headcodes. 

The last WR batch of Swindon Cross Country DMUs (with 4 track headcodes below the windscreens) were allocated to Tyseley from new, transferring to Devon/Cornwall after a year or two.

A cascade appears to have taken place involving the 120s from Tyseley to the south west, some of the class 118s from Devon/Cornwall to Bristol and a number of class 119s from Bristol to Tyseley (it appears , based on allocations shown of railcar.co.uk).

I am also eagerly awaiting RTR class 116s, preferably including examples in their guises in the early/mid 60s (Tyseley ones 😉)!! 

Thanks both.

Are the underframe the same as a 117? If so looks like a straightforward possible from Bachmann or a relatively simple conversion  from a 117.

To be honest I can't help think that a 116 (and 114) would be sensible units for a company like Accurascale, as they will be competing with the higher end market occupied by Bachmann, but at the same time, not going directly toe to toe with the same classes.  The 116 is sufficiently different to cater for new markets whilst the 114, initially a bit restricted in geographical spread compared to the larger number of Class 108 units would still appeal as a two car branch line unit for anyone modelling east of Nottingham and Yorkshire.  I would have thought commercially it could be worth a punt.

Of course as both ended up becoming a mainstay of the West Midlands DMU scene in the late 1980s I do have a vested interest.

Oh, and a me too for the 323...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

To be honest I can't help think that a 116 (and 114) would be sensible units for a company like Accurascale, as they will be competing with the higher end market occupied by Bachmann, but at the same time, not going directly toe to toe with the same classes.  The 116 is sufficiently different to cater for new markets whilst the 114, initially a bit restricted in geographical spread compared to the larger number of Class 108 units would still appeal as a two car branch line unit for anyone modelling east of Nottingham and Yorkshire.  I would have thought commercially it could be worth a punt.

Of course as both ended up becoming a mainstay of the West Midlands DMU scene in the late 1980s I do have a vested interest.

Oh, and a me too for the 323...

Now then young Wombat, The Derby long underframe heavyweights were based in the county city of Lincolnshire

• Like 2

17 hours ago, newbryford said:

After the 93, I would have thought that Revolution Trains would be front runners for the 99.

I'd think so, but with them being quite different (Bo-Bo vs Co-Co) there might not be much carry over and so the only thing that's there is that Revolution have the relationship with Stadler.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It may be mentioned earlier in this thread but some lovely super detailed HBA/HEA hoppers would be a lovely variation to be considered. 

Though the "list" must be getting fairly long considering we're on page 55 already 😀

Keep up the great work team Accurascale

All the best 

Peter

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pedro32 said:

.... Though the "list" must be getting fairly long considering we're on page 55 already 😀 ....

YEAH ...... but one or two things might have been suggested a couple of times over those pages ! ........................................... has any one thought of a 4SUB or S.R. 'U' class, by the way ?

1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

YEAH ...... but one or two things might have been suggested a couple of times over those pages ! ........................................... has any one thought of a 4SUB or S.R. 'U' class, by the way ?

There’s been lots of thinking about the S.R. U Class. A very obvious target*. Worth repeating in normal type so that it doesn’t get forgotten. I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a River Class either. They didn’t have a very long life but they were good looking and fine locomotives – just not suitable for the poor track they ran on. Part of the U story.

* Like the K4.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Trouble with the 'U-Boat' is that it would need a manufacturer prepared to do lots an' lots of alternative 'fiddly bits' to do it real justice.

And it's not just the fiddly bits if all the sub-classes are to be covered. Footplate and cab widths varied between rebuilt 'Rivers' and new-build locos, IIRC. Nothing like as bad as Black Fives or some GWR classes, though!

That said, the lack of a U (or U's!) represent a gaping chasm in the market and It would be worth the effort, even if only a couple of the main variants were covered.

If provided with a good base, that's accurate for the loco portrayed, those of us who habitually renumber things should be prepared to address the "fiddly bits" ourselves.

John

• Agree 1

I was including such fundamental, and awkward to address ourselves, things as two different tenders, two running plate heights, two cab widths, two cylinder types and two front frame shapes* within my 'fiddly bits' shorthand  -  probably far more variants per fifty locos than Black Fives or most known GWR classes.

* not to mention many more options if a 'U1' was to be done, too ...... that's actually of greater use to me : please - someone !

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've thought a bit about how an SR/BR(S) U class might be considered by a manufacturer, and came to the conclusion that it needs to be thought of more as at least two different models that share some common parts, rather than as one model that can be adapted to be two or more major variants.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Trouble with the 'U-Boat' is that it would need a manufacturer prepared to do lots an' lots of alternative 'fiddly bits' to do it real justice.

Fair point but we are starting to see some manufacturers who are prepared to tool up to cover quite a few variations.

6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

That said, the lack of a U (or U's!) represent a gaping chasm in the market and It would be worth the effort, even if only a couple of the main variants were covered.

Spot on with both barrels!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if there would be any market for some more early Freight Liner flats, namely the FFA and FGA?

I wasn't interested in them when Bachmann done them, now I am, they seem like hens teeth, which is typical.  You can find the 'outer' buffered examples still, but the 'inners' seem non existent.

Doesn't look as though Bachmann are interested in doing anymore. 

• RMweb Gold
On 07/05/2022 at 21:02, Gary H said:

I wonder if there would be any market for some more early Freight Liner flats, namely the FFA and FGA?

I wasn't interested in them when Bachmann done them, now I am, they seem like hens teeth, which is typical.  You can find the 'outer' buffered examples still, but the 'inners' seem non existent.

The issue there is that Bachmann can suddenly be interested should somebody say they were going to compete, and Bachmann already have the tooling. 

Roy

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 07/05/2022 at 21:02, Gary H said:

This is never ever going to happen. Bachman have new tooling to a high standard, why would anyone do another one? The fact that they sold quickly makes it a certainty they will do more.

Hundreds of better options.

Edited by BR Blue
Spelling
  • Agree 1