More model ideas

It’s gone a bit stale. The ideal time is when a class is brand new, to capture the interest and enthusiasm of the moment. I can¹t recall the ins and outs but I do recall the low numbers and lack of varied liveries as an argument against them. Crikey, if an 89 is viable, I can’t see why an 88 would not be. I hope more people spot ERIC ALLTORQUE’s video and say, “Oooo, wouldn’t that be nice?” rather loudly.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 60800 said:

I had a dream last night that Accurascale announced a class 50.

Crazy dream or a sign of things to come? 

Cheers,

Heard rumours about a 50..... or wishful thinking ...

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, 60800 said:

I had a dream last night that Accurascale announced a class 50.

Crazy dream or a sign of things to come? 

Cheers,

That is not a dream, it is a premonition or maybe even a prophesy :)

The odds on someone doing an all new 50 are getting shorter and shorter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A 88 is likely to be very popular as any modern image layout can realistically justify a loco with a working pantograph without the need for the knitting.

(Or you just do a rule 1 and get a 92 anyway... ...who said that)

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It’s gone a bit stale. The ideal time is when a class is brand new, to capture the interest and enthusiasm of the moment. I can¹t recall the ins and outs but I do recall the low numbers and lack of varied liveries as an argument against them. Crikey, if an 89 is viable, I can’t see why an 88 would not be. I hope more people spot ERIC ALLTORQUE’s video and say, “Oooo, wouldn’t that be nice?” rather loudly.

Yeah exactly. If an 89, Turbomotive, GT3, Fell, Falcon, Lion, Kestrel, W1, APT-E, Deltic prototype, DP2 and APT-P are all viable then why not the 88? There's 10 of them and they often run in multiple, and have been around longer than some of the above lasted in real life. With these people will have more excuse to have multiples than any of the above and ultimately it is very likely there will be livery variations before long on these, whether it's the DRS label being replaced or a whole new livery.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, E100 said:

A 88 is likely to be very popular as any modern image layout can realistically justify a loco with a working pantograph without the need for the knitting.

(Or you just do a rule 1 and get a 92 anyway... ...who said that)

As I've often said, the fastest way to new models, is to buy the existing :)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Don

17 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I'm sure it is said on here (on the 68 or 88 speculation thread) that Dapol tried to get the rights to the 88 when they got the 68 and DRS wouldn't do it (at that moment in time). Whether something has changed in the meantime I don't know.

Don't you really need one of each?

2021.07_Rail_411cr.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, Dunsignalling said:

Don't you really need one of each?

Or two of one, I'm sure pairs of 88s do flask work. I have 5 68s so I aren't lacking in that department!

88s regularly run with 68s on intermodal too (at least when on the ECML)

In fairness when moving flasks often they work alone.

88003 6D88 Burn 22.04.2020

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yair, do internet wish lists work? 🙃 Maybe...maybe not.

But eh, here's mine.

21t rebodied hoppers (the welded 2 rib ones), think they were already asked for in this topic.

PAV / PAA 2 axle grain wagons, the Lima / Wrenn / Bachmann ones are really showing their age.  Probably not going to sell many long rakes of these, but an interesting wagon.

PGA hopper as per Mendip flows.  30 or so make a rake, plenty of liveries.  Hornby haven't updated either theirs or the ex-Lima one, unless I missed it.  The Cavalex one is nice, but not so Mendip.

Blackadder-type POA scrap wagons.  Seem to be long-lived.

A decent 73, the Dapol one is just a bit weird.

I returned to the hobby a couple of years (lockdown), pleasantly surprised how much is now available compared to 30 years ago, even if we're not on £7 per wagon any more (to be fair I'm not on £2.50 / week pocket money either).  Between Accurascale, Cavalex, RevolutioN, EFE, Heljan, Hattons, Rapido, Bachmann, and even Hornby, so much is covered.  Used to be a lot more scratchbuilding and Cambrian kits 🙂

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 18/04/2022 at 20:11, R. Knowles said:

The Class 60 certainly wouldn't go amiss, since Accurascale already have the Class 92 this would seem like the next logical step! 😉

This is also not least because of my embargo with Hornby and the problems I've had with some products, including the 60 in this case.

The Class 60 was probably Hornby's best model when released. I'm sure the underframe could be a little improved given today's standards and technology, but in general it will be hard to significantly improve upon.

I would doubt there would be much if anything in terms of tooling or even CADs that could be reused from the 92, so it would be starting from scratch. There is lower hanging fruit (e.g. Class 50) that would be a better next step IMHO.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BR Blue said:

That is not a dream, it is a premonition or maybe even a prophesy :)

The odds on someone doing an all new 50 are getting shorter and shorter.

Hope so!!! 

Everything crossed but I'd be happy with almost anything. 

On 18/04/2022 at 15:57, Banger Blue said:

but has the Class 40 been mentioned here?

I aren't too familiar with the Bachmann tooling but they are upgrading the DCC functionality when they do D213 (it's getting a tooling mod too but I presume this is just the headlamp and nothing else).

On 18/04/2022 at 15:11, R. Knowles said:

The Class 60 certainly wouldn't go amiss

It will be interesting to see what ASs next step is in the diesel loco market, but I expect there are far easier battles to go at than the 40 or 60.

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

There is lower hanging fruit (e.g. Class 50) that would be a better next step IMHO.

As is said here! 50 or 33 would be my choices I think. IIRC these two get more complaints than the 40 or 60.

9 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Heard rumours about a 50..... or wishful thinking ...

There are 6 diesel/electric locomotives tooled, so after the Class 31 announcement, there is 5 left.  Hoping the Class 50 is one of them......  Then there's another 4.  I think it depends on how Accurascale view the market.Quite frankly if they can produce quality at their current price point, then anything is fair game!

Their portfolio already includes some of the most prolific BR Classes 31, 37 and 55 - with their sales it shows their products of Classes that have been done many times before, there is demand for, at their detail and price point.  If I were them on top of the Class 50, I would have tooled products with the longest life and livery spans -  Class 47, Class 66, Class 40 and the HST (with HST and loco hauled MK3).    Then if I were looking to the future for even more - look at the Class 33, backdate the 73/9 to earlier versions, Class 60 and then look at Peaks and probably even then a 08/09 with LED lights.....

Game, Set and Match.......

Why stop at locos, as there  are a few shunters that would be nice, the obvious one being the class 06 shunter plus the class 01 and the  NB D2700 series shunters. The class 14 was not Heljans finest hour either....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If thinking of existing/previous models, there are many more "past-it" examples or models that only covered one variant in steam outline than diesel or electric.

Obvious candidates (not all of interest to me) LMS 8F, 2P, Fowler 2-6-4T, S&DJR 7F (1914 and large boiler version of 1925 batch), SR Bulleid Pacifics (most), Moguls (all bar the N and that’s elderly); LNER J39, J52, J83, V1/3; GWR 2251, 28/38xx, King.

For my preferred area, BR (S), predominantly ex-LSWR, unfilled gaps for small shunting tank (G6), small multipurpose tank (E1R), medium/large tanks (all!), several 4-4-0s, various 0-6-0s (notably the Q but also the LSWR 0395 and various Brighton classes). Intermediate 4-6-0s, (Urie S15, the Brighton Baltic rebuilds and a whole tribe of assorted H15s as complex as the Thompson Pacific family of the LNER!).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

1 hour ago, paulbb said:

Why stop at locos, as there  are a few shunters that would be nice, the obvious one being the class 06 shunter plus the class 01 and the  NB D2700 series shunters. The class 14 was not Heljans finest hour either....

Or units!

I'm surprised no L&Y Aspinalls have been suggested, though I imagine they would be more the realm of Bachmann / Rails.

Two things that are sadly desperate for retools are the 76 & 77 - I absolutely adore the real things but I've never been tempted to buy the Heljan / Olivias offerings as they just need too much work and that's before you even consider replacing the pantographs.

Cheers,

• Like 1

There's no need for Accurascale to start messing around wasting time producing more steam locomotives. Plenty of deisel electric (or at a push, deisel hydraulic) for them to do their thing on.😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

There are 6 diesel/electric locomotives tooled, so after the Class 31 announcement, there is 5 left.  Hoping the Class 50 is one of them......  Then there's another 4.  I think it depends on how Accurascale view the market.Quite frankly if they can produce quality at their current price point, then anything is fair game!

Their portfolio already includes some of the most prolific BR Classes 31, 37 and 55 - with their sales it shows their products of Classes that have been done many times before, there is demand for, at their detail and price point.  If I were them on top of the Class 50, I would have tooled products with the longest life and livery spans -  Class 47, Class 66, Class 40 and the HST (with HST and loco hauled MK3).    Then if I were looking to the future for even more - look at the Class 33, backdate the 73/9 to earlier versions, Class 60 and then look at Peaks and probably even then a 08/09 with LED lights.....

Game, Set and Match.......

Agree. Particularly would like a Class 08/09 with lights.

Just something to note is that Accurascale are no longer doing the 73/9 for KMS. There is a another manufacture but no announcement yet.

• Agree 3