More model ideas

1 hour ago, KDG said:

There's no need for Accurascale to start messing around wasting time producing more steam locomotives. Plenty of deisel electric (or at a push, deisel hydraulic) for them to do their thing on.😉

There’s no need for Accurascale to mess around wasting time producing diesel electrics (or at a push, diesel hydraulics) which have already been modelled when there are plenty of steam locomotives which haven’t yet been modelled at all in RTR for them to do their thing on. 😉

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

53 minutes ago, R. Knowles said:

I see several people have been requesting a Class 88, but with Dapol already out with the 68, I would say that would be more in their realm. 

They would have a head start that's for sure. Quite a lot of common components which would help reduce the cost of the CAD work. There is at least one subtle difference on the overall shape without considering grilles, pantograph etc. (the doors and the areas above them are different), and obviously the grille holes are different and the roof is completely different.

If they were to do it then when would it turn up?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

There’s no need for Accurascale to mess around wasting time producing diesel electrics (or at a push, diesel hydraulics) which have already been modelled when there are plenty of steam locomotives which haven’t yet been modelled at all in RTR for them to do their thing on. 😉

I think they should stop doing locomotives altogether and concentrate on those little trollies with the handle that goes up and down, powered by 2 sweaty railwaymen.

• Funny 7

19 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Obvious candidates (not all of interest to me) LMS 8F, 2P, Fowler 2-6-4T, S&DJR 7F (1914 and large boiler version of 1925 batch), SR Bulleid Pacifics (most), Moguls (all bar the N and that’s elderly); LNER J39, J52, J83, V1/3; GWR 2251, 28/38xx, King.

I have to agree with most of these, although didn't the 28/38xx get done in the 2010s and King more recently?

It seems at the moment with locos, A/S seem to be happy with redoing the older/dated/less detailed models vs producing something never before seen as demand seems high enough for all singing, all dancing models which are improvements on the originals

15 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

never before seen

Well I think all their wagons are stuff that hasn't been seen before.

But on locos, most of the uncharted territory lies in steam and they have only announced one so far.

The diesel/electric options are very limited in terms of stuff that hasn't been done, I think the only class that hasn't ever been done (or going to be done) is the 88? Whilst I want an 88 I do not doubt that the 31, 55 and 37 will outsell an 88 massively. The 92 is one that will sell well but is more niche like the 88 IMO.

Opinion time here...

Ultimately AS will need to be getting volume to cement their existence. Tooling up niche stuff is good and will probably pay for itself but bread and butter as per the above will be how they can afford to do that long term and keep people in employment.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Well I think all their wagons are stuff that hasn't been seen before.

But on locos, most of the uncharted territory lies in steam and they have only announced one so far.

The diesel/electric options are very limited in terms of stuff that hasn't been done, I think the only class that hasn't ever been done (or going to be done) is the 88? Whilst I want an 88 I do not doubt that the 31, 55 and 37 will outsell an 88 massively. The 92 is one that will sell well but is more niche like the 88 IMO.

Opinion time here...

Ultimately AS will need to be getting volume to cement their existence. Tooling up niche stuff is good and will probably pay for itself but bread and butter as per the above will be how they can afford to do that long term and keep people in employment.

I never mentioned anything about wagons and excuse my ignorance on the topic as most of the A/S offering at the moment isn't for me and I don't follow modern image either so wouldn't know if that stuff was new to the market or not 😅

I think the Rapido newsletter arcticle from a month or so back covered this debate nicely, wherein they basically said "most of the low hanging fruit has been modeled but some of that has regrown" and it probably just depends on which manufacturer can grab that fruit first! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Opinion time here...

I think you are correct in general that they are wanting to build a solid base, however I think it's fair to say they are already tooling as many things as the big players each year. Things like the chaldrons show that they aren't afraid to take risks on niche items even in their still relative early days, so I do expect some surprises. All credit to them. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, E100 said:

I think you are correct in general that they are wanting to build a solid base, however I think it's fair to say they are already tooling as many things as the big players each year. Things like the chaldrons show that they aren't afraid to take risks on niche items even in their still relative early days, so I do expect some surprises. All credit to them. 

Exactly. Ultimately I don't think they can just have a range of cash cows, but that's probably what is needed to grow the business further in most cases.

• Like 1

Interesting comments in this thread.  Some wanting replacement of all the D&E models, others wanting steam.  The point surely is that Accurascale want offer a balanced range of steam,  transition era, and modern diesels and electrics, and whatever stock.  Reproducing the class 60 seems pointless to me when there are many steam locos and MUs that are virgin targets BUT many D&E modellers won't share that view, and vice versa steam people. 

As a transition era modeller I like BR era steam and green and blue pre TOPS diesels. Anything newer than a 47 or older than a BR black or green is not relevant to me, but I recognise that the company need to embrace all choices.  So there are obviously loads of pre nationalisation prototypes to look at, but there are many designs that survived into BR livery / numbering - or at least survived post 1948 even if they didn't receive BR numbers.  A GWR "Aberdare" has never been offered before and would be an interesting addition to most steam era fleets, but so would an LMS or BR liveried "Austin 7" 0-8-0 goods engine. 

Correspondingly modern image modellers will not be interested in anything like that hence the decision by Accurascale to offer such as the refurb 37s, 92 etc. There are D&E targets like AL1-AL4, the SR "Hornby" Co-Co electrics,  even the class 74 which nearly came to pass.   Plenty of DMUs and EMUs too, but they require a huge budget for D&E and tooling etc.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, R. Knowles said:

There's another thought, with the Deltics already in full production, would it be a reach to producing a new model of DP2?

Cantrail grilles, two big bodyside grilles, different roof style with less fans - so yes quite a bit of work, enough to almost start over.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Cantrail grilles, two big bodyside grilles, different roof style with less fans - so yes quite a bit of work, enough to almost start over.

The CAD and chassis would be a head start but I expect that's about it!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, R. Knowles said:

There's another thought, with the Deltics already in full production, would it be a reach to produce a new model of DP2?

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

39 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

The CAD and chassis would be a head start but I expect that's about it!

I'd like to see it done, all the same, and if by AS, then that sounds like a grand idea. Heljan's effort really was just too off for me to even consider it.

On 18/03/2022 at 10:49, TomScrut said:

They were what I had in mind to be honest, which is considerably more than most London lines/stations I believe. If I was modelling London (or a line leaving London) there aren't many better choices IMO.

The only London terminal stations I can think of that are served by RTR models for present day are Kings Cross (800, 801, 803 to come, 91 to come), St Pancras (373 and 395, 180 to come), Euston (390, 220/221 but wrong livery, 350 in wrong livery, 92 and mk5 to come), Paddington (800, 802 to come), Marylebone (68, but no mk3s) and Waterloo (450).

I don't think there is anything that currently goes into Victoria, Charing Cross, Liverpool Street, Cannon Street, Blackfriars, Fenchurch Street and London Bridge (I think that's all the big ones accounted for).

The main thing about the 345 for me is that it is a TFL unit which as far as I am aware tend to mean it sells well.

Bang on the money. There's alot of traction from around 95' to present day still not depicted in 00 yet. Interestingly, I had asked revolution at Alexandria Palace about the possibility of bringing the 313s to 00 aswell... and they cited they were holding out on the rumours of "another prominent manufacturer" working on one. So who knows.

Either way, I'm glad Accurascale are open to all types of locomotives/stock... and I'm sure eventually our paths will cross on the way to my first purchase with them! (92s are breaking me down atm.)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, R. Knowles said:

Okay then, on the subject of multiple units here's a few ideas that spring to mind: On the first generation DMU front: GRCW Class 100, Park Royal Class 103,  Wickham Class 109, Derby Classes 114, 115 and 127, BRCW Class 118, GRCW Cross-Country Class 119, Swindon InterCity Classes 120, 123 and 126 and of course the Trans-Pennine Class 124.

For the second generation, one example I personally wouldn't mind seeing is the Metro-Cammell Class 151 Sprinter Prototype!

For electric multiple units, the list would be endless! The main examples that personally spring to mind are the Classes 303, 304, 305, 308, 309, 310 and 312, among the first generation AC designs.

So if it moves on rails Accurascale,make it so number one.........

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

An English Electric type 4 with vastly improved cosmetic bogie plate frames instead of the crap that Bachmann keep pushing out despite the rest of the model being somewhat 'updated'. I have 'Penbitted' a couple of these for pals of mine and the running is very good but the cosmetic bogie frames belong in the Hornby Dublo era and are a massive let down considering the models quite reasonable performance on track.  Not good enough when you consider Kernow's much better effort in that department but I have not experienced the Southern diesels running first hand. However, the tired Bachmann EE Type 1 still leaves a lot to desired and whilst your at it give the whole of the EE built fleet the credit they deserve, bar the 'Baby Deltics'!

Edited by HarryLamb2
  • Like 1

On 20/04/2022 at 07:21, TomScrut said:

Yeah exactly. If an 89, Turbomotive, GT3, Fell, Falcon, Lion, Kestrel, W1, APT-E, Deltic prototype, DP2 and APT-P are all viable then why not the 88? There's 10 of them and they often run in multiple, and have been around longer than some of the above lasted in real life.

Because in part the uniqueness of the prototypes where only 1 was ever made make them an easier sell than something that was made in small numbers.

That said, I suspect at some point someone will (licensing being available) do the 88 unless economic factors cause problems going forward given we are at a point where the 69 and 93 are being done...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mdvle said:

That said, I suspect at some point someone will (licensing being available) do the 88 unless economic factors cause problems going forward given we are at a point where the 69 and 93 are being done...

Exactly. 69 and 93 were announced before either were even on the rails (as a 69 at least in that case) IIRC.