KR Models announce the Bulleid Leader

KR Models

8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Got to admit the roof on the 4DD isnt as bad as first thought… i delibrately took the picture of leader / 4 DD to compare roof profiles.

Leader sits very high on its bogies so both must be at gauge limits,

Believe as some others think, the 4DD has been retooled either in some areas or entirely, windows and roof profile look totally different to the one last seen on a table.

Then yes the Leader model is still the same as March's first effort, no idea what or when we will see any movement in it's development...  Sadly KR / Keith wasn't very open to feedback at that time, unless things are changing, as seen on the 4DD...  but slightly disappoint to see no progress on that particular model was hoping to have read, or seen some change.

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway

12 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Believe as some others think, the 4DD has been retooled either in some areas or entirely, windows and roof profile look totally different to the one last seen on a table.

Then yes the Leader model is still the same as March's first effort, no idea what or when we will see any movement in it's development...  Sadly KR / Keith wasn't very open to feedback at that time, unless things are changing, as seen on the 4DD...  but slightly disappoint to see no progress on that particular model was hoping to have read, or seen some change.

I have both of these on order and looking forward to them.

There is definite improvement to the DD and it is now starting to look the part. I hope that the items on the Leader are being addressed before it is released which hopefully will not be too far into the new year.

All the best

Ray

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

I have both of these on order and looking forward to them.

There is definite improvement to the DD and it is now starting to look the part. I hope that the items on the Leader are being addressed before it is released which hopefully will not be too far into the new year.

All the best

Ray

We can hope... problem is no-one really knows... as updates or information is a bit few and far between, think there was surprise about 4DD retool, as a tool is expensive... unless they have a mega deal with the factory.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Sorry - did anything happen with this?

With what?  As far as I know the Leader and the (off topic) 4DD discussed in the last couple of postings are both still going to be produced - they are both still listed on the KR site.  But as to how quickly, that's another matter.  The latest News they've posted was back in July and about a completely different product, the GT3.

Decorated samples are close according to a post on Facebook, a cryptic newsletter saying making sure its right... however they never said what they are making sure is correct or what was wrong, although I know there was a fair few areas, window size, roof shape, secondly never saw a tool with all the detail on, but nothing seen since last March at Ally Pally.

• 1 month later...

Well After a year of not seeing the prototype EP1 of Leader I had a chance at Alexandra Palace 2023, I spoke to the gent (it wasn't Michael) about Leader and it was nice to see they are doing a scrap version from the sample on display...  ok it's lost a few more parts 😅

PXL_20230319_142317520.jpg.3f87773692e189a463a5288a8f014d06.jpg

So from a newsletter which KR sent out in the morning, the decorated sample is being assembled... when asked about the previous mysterious (we want to make sure everything is right) newsletter which was January I think... I did ask what they are changing... and no particular answer was given apart from we are going over everything with a fine tooth comb.... yes well read in to that what you will, but from the reply's I had and a few others have had... KR doesn't seem to open to feedback... so I won't be holding my breath, as the answers I got just didn't inspire confidence.

Only positive thing I could say was it's extremely heavy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 3 months later...

KR models just posted a decorated sample of the BR version on Facebook:

Its a test sample, I feel the  white lines look a little thick, and the red does not stand out. But then this is what test samples are for.

Leader_01.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

KR models just posted a decorated sample of the BR version on Facebook:

Its a test sample, I feel the  white lines look a little thick, and the red does not stand out. But then this is what test samples are for.

Leader_01.jpg

Oh yes white, that well known part of BR mixed traffic lining...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

In fairness, what we are seeing as white in the picture may be either over bright cream lining or a transposition of the red/white lining from the BR Grey versions. Neither is correct of course, but as pointed out, this is a decorated sample meant to highlight issues with the livery, which KR Model’s own comments highlight in the full post 

IMG_7538.jpeg

Edited by Edge
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Edge said:

In fairness, what we are seeing as white in the picture may be either over bright cream lining or a transposition of the red/white lining from the BR Grey versions. Neither is correct of course, but as pointed out, this is a decorated sample meant to highlight issues with the livery, which KR Model’s own comments highlight in the full post 

IMG_7538.jpeg

Yes saw this this morning...  It's difficult to tell anything really the photo being Facebook it's lower quality image...

But I see the body is still massively high, I can see more details which ok get a better image of what it's like... But I can't see if any modifications have been made to the various issues reported.

11 hours ago, Edge said:

IMG_7538.jpeg

The bit your shown doesn’t list what they think needs to be fixed and on past performance there is no guarantee they see what you & I see or that they care enough to change it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

The bit your shown doesn’t list what they think needs to be fixed and on past performance there is no guarantee they see what you & I see or that they care enough to change it.

Let’s give them a chance to mess up before we start condemning them for it shall we. It’s fairly clear that this is a work in progress

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Let’s give them a chance to mess up before we start condemning them for it shall we. It’s fairly clear that this is a work in progress

If I thought they were listening, then now is exactly the time to give them feedback on things that need to be looked at, or even just to allow them to 'calibrate' what the potential punter wants, both of which ought to inform that 'work in progress', but since I don't think they are listening, it matters a whole lot less.

Jon

• Agree 4

19 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Yes saw this this morning...  It's difficult to tell anything really the photo being Facebook it's lower quality image...

But I see the body is still massively high, I can see more details which ok get a better image of what it's like... But I can't see if any modifications have been made to the various issues reported.

Books I have on the actual prototype always give me an impression that it too sits massively high!  I'd rather the model does this than sit too low.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Books I have on the actual prototype always give me an impression that it too sits massively high!  I'd rather the model does this than sit too low.

I’d rather the model was the correct height, shape and got the details correct, fingers crossed…

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Cor, fussy ain't ya? 😂

Yes, when one has already paid up front for a model (not to mention *tried* to assist…). ;)

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

I see a news letter has dropped this morning more about Leader and the 4DD painted sample being ready...

I still have my concerns with this more like Muz....I can still see the body shell hovering 2mm maybe a bit more off the actual motor chassis despite it being black.. I can still see it... again no mention of going through it with a fine tooth comb or how wide the teeth were... But no mention of changes at all from the first EP, without seeing them side by side it's impossible to tell... 

If they have done this to allow bogie movement would sort of suggest the pivot point could have been moved backwards to aid the body being lower... I'm just guessing as they haven't said a word.

They have released some images of the Blue versions...  

I did have hopes for this but they are slowly diminishing..

Problem when you pay up for things without seeing it first...maybe I'll have to 3D print an entire new body shell... Who knows... I've drawn up the valve gear 😂

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I was tempted to order one of these but I'm glad I didn't. The newsletter doesn't actually tell us much, lots of flannel but few facts about the model.

A further point about the new images. Unless I've missed something they haven't shown a recent picture of the centre cab window which was also a 'bone of contention'. 

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

I see a news letter has dropped this morning more about Leader and the 4DD painted sample being ready...

I still have my concerns with this more like Muz....I can still see the body shell hovering 2mm maybe a bit more off the actual motor chassis despite it being black.. I can still see it... again no mention of going through it with a fine tooth comb or how wide the teeth were... But no mention of changes at all from the first EP, without seeing them side by side it's impossible to tell... 

If they have done this to allow bogie movement would sort of suggest the pivot point could have been moved backwards to aid the body being lower... I'm just guessing as they haven't said a word.

They have released some images of the Blue versions...  

I did have hopes for this but they are slowly diminishing..

Problem when you pay up for things without seeing it first...maybe I'll have to 3D print an entire new body shell... Who knows... I've drawn up the valve gear 😂

Yes, I winced several times when reading the newsletter - when will they understand that all that 'mateyness' doesn't wash here in the UK? It grates on me, to the extent that it has the opposite effect to that intended.

Nothing seems to change at KRM - if it looks OK to us, sod the more discerning customer!

I just hope that they manage to get DHP1 somewhere reasonably close ..... !

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2023 at 11:12, Graham_Muz said:

Yes, when one has already paid up front for a model (not to mention *tried* to assist…). ;)

Thats why I ordered via Rails (as with the rest of the KR stuff).

i want it, but not at my peril.

I ‘Fell’ over my self and learned that lesson.

😀

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Getting the bogies to swing with the tapered body line and go around anything like trainset curves. mine struggles with 3'  radius. The bogie pivot does have to be further back but not enough to allow the body swing out too far and clout the lineside furniture.

Img_0417.jpg.7a6c6936435f1baa95d3b85ce23e31f2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3