KR Models announce the Bulleid Leader

KR Models

6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It is difficult to follow the mindset that allowed that image to be published!

CJI.

Shockingly, I didn't ask KR before posting it. But then I wasn't aware that publishing a photo of a model that had been sat on a stand for two days at a busy show required approval. Perhaps you can point me at the rule book it's in. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, Phil Parker said:

Shockingly, I didn't ask KR before posting it. But then I wasn't aware that publishing a photo of a model that had been sat on a stand for two days at a busy show required approval. Perhaps you can point me at the rule book it's in. 

Phil - chill!!

I wasn't referring to you, but at whoever at KRM decided that it was a good idea to put that EP before the public - and it seems that I am not alone in my view.

Please - do not ALWAYS assume that I am having a go at you!

CJI.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Phil - chill!!

Please - do not ALWAYS assume that I am having a go at you!

CJI.

Perhaps in future, to avoid confusion, you could first clarify exactly whom it is that you are having a go at before you, you know, have a go.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 7
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Perhaps in future, to avoid confusion, you could first clarify exactly whom it is that you are having a go at before you, you know, have a go.

Cheers

Darius

It would seem that I may have to! 🥴

CJI.

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The coal looks awful, but I suspect they were happy for the model to be photographed because they know most potential customers will look past it at the model itself. 

Putting on a very cynical hat, might it just be that the manufacturer has deliberately whacked in some overscale coal and wonked a front handrail to create much frothing, thus getting massive coverage for a forthcoming release?

Thinking back when there was a video review (can't find it) did it seem as if the coal was on a flat plate that lifted out? Worst case scenario would be drill a small hole, in with the piercing saw to cut it out then a plastikard infill with typical very low coal load?  On the basis (according to Kevin Robertson's excellent book) that coal was added from weighed bags it probably was never filled right to the limit. And a gentle flatting of the rivet heads, if they are a bother, would knock them back.

I paid for mine right at the launch of the project and am very pleased with the look of the loco. And as long as I can P4 it then it'll do. KRModels should be congratulated I think for heading into the dark regions for their choice of models. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

The photo you posted is very welcome. As you have seen the thing itself, please can you confirm (or not) that it is in a flatish grey rather than they glittery grey shown in earlier photos? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

The photo you posted is very welcome. As you have seen the thing itself, please can you confirm (or not) that it is in a flatish grey rather than they glittery grey shown in earlier photos? 

Yes, it is a flat grey, not silver. Possibly a little flatter than the best-known photo of the loco shows, but certainly more convincing than earlier colours.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, JSpencer said:

The main things sticking out are rivets and coal. Coal is easy to address so I don't care about it.

Perso, I think it is good they show the EPs. There is definate progress.

If it's now due 'before Christmas' that very definitely is not an EP but most likely a pre-production sample.  If it is an EP then in present circumstances I'd be surprised t see it on the market before next summer. (And I though they showed am EP last year?).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

If it's now due 'before Christmas' that very definitely is not an EP but most likely a pre-production sample.  If it is an EP then in present circumstances I'd be surprised t see it on the market before next summer. (And I though they showed am EP last year?).

Fair point. Personally I remain confident the news about the release date to be as accurate as the model.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Yes the rivets are a bother as they, amongst other details, are totally wrong! A gentle flattening shouldn't be required and will of course affect the painted finish of the model.  

I like you have paid upfront for the model and tried to assist KR models with getting some of the details right at an early stage, but the response was not that positive. 

KR Models might be worth congratulations for taking on such a choice of prototypes but such a lack of obvious / simple research or taking on constructive feedback is a shame.

That is unfortunate but KR models lack of research seems to be a common theme on their models, e.g. the Fell. They dare to build but they do not dare to do much, if any, research and do not like it when anyone dares to criticise them.

• Agree 11

I signed for one of these when first announced, having debated about doing one of the GAP kits several times. The coal shown in the earlier image was obviously added for effect without any pretence of scale and I would be surprised if the model was supplied with such lumps!

As to the issue of the rivets, I consulted my book by Kevin Robertson and can clearly see the ‘anomaly’. I presume the main problem is with the rivets on the end panels, as most of those on the side panelling appear to be correct. But I will defer to the experts for confirmation. As it happens, I think the raised rivet heads add additional charm to what is, potentially, a relatively plain body.

However, as we are unlikely to get an alternative RTR I will be quite happy with it, ‘warts and all’. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Deeps said:

However, as we are unlikely to get an alternative RTR I will be quite happy with it, ‘warts and all’.

That pretty much sums up KR's business model, over promise and under deliver and they'll still sell. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm sticking with my plan A, wait to see the final model then decide whether or not to buy, assuming it will be available via dealers as per some of the other KR releases.

Looking at the latest images it looks like a much better proposition than the Fell, it's not perfect and the rivets are disappointing but personally where I found the errors with the Fell went beyond what I was willing to just accept I think that this one is looking like it will be within what I'd be happy to buy. Ideally I'd like someone like pretty much any of the alternative OO RTR producers to do it but I doubt that's going to happen given what a niche prototype this is. Realistically I think it is this or a kit. Given that, and given that it looks to be a good if imperfect model I suspect I'll buy.

KR are infuriating, the Fell was poor, the 40 looks off to my eyes but the 4DD looks to be pretty good now, this is imperfect but looks good enough and because of the nature of the subjects we're unlikely to see anything else RTR (or at least not for a long time, and in fairness to KR there has been nothing preventing others doing these niche subjects before them).

I wonder what reception they'd find if they'd avoided the PR hole they dug themselves into with their belligerent reaction to criticism, I understand that some reactions from model enthusiasts can be a bit extreme but in the case of KR they were offered a lot of constructive and well observed criticism and decided to shoot the messenger rather than take it on the chin and improve things. A huge missed opportunity on their part.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I wonder what reception they'd find if they'd avoided the PR hole they dug themselves into with their belligerent reaction to criticism, I understand that some reactions from model enthusiasts can be a bit extreme but in the case of KR they were offered a lot of constructive and well observed criticism and decided to shoot the messenger rather than take it on the chin and improve things. A huge missed opportunity on their part.

Bullied followers of Bulleid leader ?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
On 21/10/2023 at 05:23, jjb1970 said:

Judging by the enthusiastic following on facebook , they probably would have fared quite well.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Judging by the enthusiastic following on facebook , they probably would have fared quite well.

There's a lot to be said for making a model of something almost all potential purchasers will have never seen and which only a few have any sort of detail knowledge of (and apart from anything else that also means research needn't take so long or be so exahaustive).   Add in that 'it's quite a bit different from anything else' and that it 'looks unusual' and that will add to its appeal to a certain section of the market.

Get people to pay up front to  cover most of your investment costs, and get the right factory deal.  then you can almost afford to ignore those folk with any knowledge of what you are going to make.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

There's a lot to be said for making a model of something almost all potential purchasers will have never seen and which only a few have any sort of detail knowledge of (and apart from anything else that also means research needn't take so long or be so exahaustive).   Add in that 'it's quite a bit different from anything else' and that it 'looks unusual' and that will add to its appeal to a certain section of the market.

Get people to pay up front to  cover most of your investment costs, and get the right factory deal.  then you can almost afford to ignore those folk with any knowledge of what you are going to make.

Sounds like you’re nearly as cynical as me! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

They’re the ones allowed to comment, I know of quite a few who have been blocked for asking questions which have been deleted. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5