KR Models announce the Bulleid Leader

KR Models

• RMweb Premium

There's been some discussion of communication on the Hornby Turbomotive thread this week. I said on that thread that I am really not bothered if manufacturers engage on message boards/forums. It's a nice to have and if they engage then well and good but I don't buy models because I like the proprietors or employees of companies and it's not something I expect. It's a business transaction, if it's a model I like I am not that fussed who made it under most circumstances. I like a good website which is easy to navigate, if that tells me what I need to know then they've done their job for comms and I tend to like the more restrained approach of Bachmann who communicate when necessary but tend to avoid forums.

However, that falls over for me if a manufacturer behaves in a way that turns me against them. Do it well or say nothing but don't antagonize potential customers or go down the DJM rabbit hole of throwing mud at Chinese factories to try and hide his own ineptitude. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

They’re the ones allowed to comment, I know of quite a few who have been blocked for asking questions which have been deleted. 

I too was blocked in the eary days of KR Models.  Now I just observe from a second Facebook account.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...

@Amaziii that is very kind of you to say, thank you very much.

I'm happy to report that my model is also running rather well too.

I noticed under trial 36001 pulled a variety of coaching stock that I am unlikely to be able to identify without some support, can anyone help here? Is any of it available in model form? I know it was frequently coupled up with the LNER Dynamometer Car, but I would love to attempt a relatively accurate formation for some of my model's running sessions.

Edited by Grasslands
grammarrrr
  • Like 3

The Leader seemed to have been tested with whatever coaching stock was to hand at the time. Looking through Kevin Robertson's 1988 volume, I see SECR 'birdcage' trio sets, SECR 'Continental', Maunsell & Bulleid corridor stock, an LMS 50' brake with ( I think ) SECR non-corridor stock, LSWR 'Ironclad' stock .... take yer pick !

Sorry, I forgot to mention the LBSCR Pull & Push set !

Edited by Wickham Green too
pp set
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

The Leader seemed to have been tested with whatever coaching stock was to hand at the time. Looking through Kevin Robertson's 1988 volume, I see SECR 'birdcage' trio sets, SECR 'Continental', Maunsell & Bulleid corridor stock, an LMS 50' brake with ( I think ) SECR non-corridor stock, LSWR 'Ironclad' stock .... take yer pick !

Sorry, I forgot to mention the LBSCR Pull & Push set !

I have very much enjoyed googling all of the above coaching stock, a rather nice variety of options. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Latest news letter is out. They said they sorted out a few final small details and looks like production has not started yet. For delivery in Q1 2024 (I suspect Q2 more probable).

Yes hopefully wheels being wrong pattern might be one of those, Production has started which was seen in the BRM video yesterday, when ever that was filmed, some photos were put in to the video, showing the chassis block and the bogie towers.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Yes hopefully wheels being wrong pattern might be one of those, Production has started which was seen in the BRM video yesterday, when ever that was filmed, some photos were put in to the video, showing the chassis block and the bogie towers.

Thanks for the tip. I just found it : https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/interview-of-the-week-kr-models?fbclid=IwAR2vsLliAWtDzHaPyO51nWUcg2Z7eK1eQVs8yZjWscty92h7MYUN_nYAvR0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 24/11/2023 at 08:31, JSpencer said:

Welcome I couldn't post it as it's a private link the video as I was on my phone I couldn't get a link up so thanks for reposting.

Looks lovely in Black. I wonder what they used as the sound file?

I do not believe there is any working steam model anywhere.

It must have been a bit like a West country in terms of sound but with a Garrett like chuffing with it going in and out of sync as it run.

Of course we do not know what KR have done (other than working with ESU). @Jenny Emily Any ideas as to how KR built their sound file please?

I was disappointed to see the Leaders at Warley still displaying the hopelessly wrong wheels. Has that issue been addressed? Or am I going to have to get the plasticard out?

I was going to ask them on the day but they were fielding other questions.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

It must have been a bit like a West country in terms of sound but with a Garrett like chuffing with it going in and out of sync as it run.

Of course we do not know what KR have done (other than working with ESU). @Jenny Emily Any ideas as to how KR built their sound file please?

I was told by John Click, who worked on the Leader alongside Bulleid , that having three cylinders per bogie that it was a very soft 3 +3 exhaust beat (even softer than a Bulleid pacific) and that at 60 to 70 mph on test the 'chuff' was almost inaudible above the mechanical running sounds. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
typo
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

I was told by John Click, who worked on the Leader alongside Bulleid , that having three cylinders per bogie that it was a very soft 3 +3 exhaust beat (even softer than a Bulleid pacific) and that at 60 to 70 mph on test the 'chuff' was almost inaudible above the mechanical running sounds. 

I bet the drivers and firemen enjoyed that too!

1 hour ago, On30runner said:

I was disappointed to see the Leaders at Warley still displaying the hopelessly wrong wheels. Has that issue been addressed? Or am I going to have to get the plasticard out?

I was going to ask them on the day but they were fielding other questions.

Yes, it now apparently has BFB wheels.

3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I have no idea. You would have to ask KR Models directly. 

• Thanks 1