Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

They’re 3mm, I think Steve answered this previously during development but it was along time ago so it was worth asking again. Hope that helps!

Thanks James. You're right, but much water has passed under that bridge since.

My plan, therefore, is to replace the OO wheels and axles with Alan Gibson wheels on 1/8" axles (nearest wheels he does suitable for the prototype) and ream out the bearings and worm drive, much as someone did when converting a Bachmann J72 (also with 3mm axles) in a fairly recent MRJ.

I will cross the bridge of clearances behind the crossheads when I come to it!

• RMweb Premium

Yep this did come up before! Unfortunately whatever screenshot I took of the CAD disappeared in the forum image outage but I can go back and grab something again if it would be useful.

The axles are a multi-part construction to aid assembly, including a shoulder on the outer ends to set the gauge - I wonder if the easiest way to attempt a conversion might be to create new, longer outer ends that replicate the design to the wider gauge.

This is purely speculation, by the way, I haven't tried it (and likely won't!) myself.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, cornelius said:

The axles are a multi-part construction to aid assembly, including a shoulder on the outer ends to set the gauge - I wonder if the easiest way to attempt a conversion might be to create new, longer outer ends that replicate the design to the wider gauge.

Thanks Cornelius.

I'm not sure what you mean by the above, though? If I'm going to replace the whole wheel set, presumably I could dismantle each of the three axles, to retrieve the brass bushes and worm gear and then rebuild with P4 ones from there>

4 hours ago, James Hilton said:

In today's newsletter (see Works Notices thread) I shared a video showing Victory on my layout, Pont-y-dulais, copied here for anyone who hasn't had a chance to see it already...

Loving the 3 links. Do these come with the model?if not are they easy to fit? as I find that fitting 3 links to locos can be a bit of a pain sometimes. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, cornelius said:

Photoshoot is on Monday all going well or you can come and see them for yourself at the Uckfield MRC show this weekend!

Bit far to go just to see some trains (for me at least) but hopefully you get quite a few people considering how they can buy one without breaking the bank.

22 hours ago, Flyingscotsmanfan said:

Loving the 3 links. Do these come with the model?if not are they easy to fit? as I find that fitting 3 links to locos can be a bit of a pain sometimes. 

I fitted the 3 links myself, the model comes with small metal hooks in place which look great and you can clip a set of Smith’s 3 link chain into this, but I’ve swapped out for the Smith’s on mine as I wanted to make sure they didn’t come loose in handling.

As an aside, has Victory proven that there is a market for a purely industrial manufacturer and are you likely to produce another RTR model at some point in the not too distant future? (I know it might not be entirely relevant but I thought I’d ask)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

As an aside, has Victory proven that there is a market for a purely industrial manufacturer and are you likely to produce another RTR model at some point in the not too distant future? (I know it might not be entirely relevant but I thought I’d ask)

We're really pleased with the pre-order reaction to the Victory, I think it remains to be seen if a pure industrial focus is sustainable long term but we're hopeful! 

Meanwhile @AY Mod gives his first view here, with a full review expected in the January 2023 BRM.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/reviews/planet-industrials-kerr-stuart-victory-0-6-0t/

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

Just seen the RoS update about Victory, exiting times! 

Aye, I saw that too, and I seem to recall it being said that the ones being dealt with at source will most probably be distributed before (or at the same time) as the RoS ones, meaning the direct customers should receive theirs a few days earlier (apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick here!)

Cue me setting up camp by the front door so I don't miss Mr Postie!

Cheers

J

On 25/10/2022 at 07:36, cornelius said:

Yes it's true, we have a stock room full of Victories! James is down from Wales this week to help sort and test the shipment and we're aiming for customer orders to start dispatching around the end of this week. We are QC testing every customer loco to ensure you get the best experience (although I have to say the ones we've done so far are fantastic) so please bear with us while we get ready.

Our plan is to dispatch by livery to make things simpler for our team, with any combined orders at the end, and everyone will receive an email confirmation when their order ships. We'd appreciate it if you don't email regarding the status of individual orders for the time being as this will only slow us down.

If you haven't yet paid the balance on your model we would recommend doing this as soon as possible to ensure smooth delivery! If you paid a deposit but haven't received one our email updates with instructions on how to pay your balance please do get in touch.

We're planning to show a bit of the behind the scenes effort in how this gets done on our Facebook page so give us a follow if you haven't already.

https://www.facebook.com/planetindustrials/

PXL_20221017_124825213.jpg

Where is the shaking with excitement emoji button when you need it 

I’m keeping my finger well clear of it. One of my two is maroon; last to be dealt with. I have ordered two; multis will be dealt with last. Mine will have sound; difficulty getting decoders. I have requested a crew; it will take time to paint and insert them. I won’t survive weeks of excitement. I need a CD of tranquil music. 🚂

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I’m keeping my finger well clear of it. One of my two is maroon; last to be dealt with. I have ordered two; multis will be dealt with last. Mine will have sound; difficulty getting decoders. I have requested a crew; it will take time to paint and insert them. I won’t survive weeks of excitement. I need a CD of tranquil music. 🚂

If you've given us your preference to ship sound fitted models in advance and follow up with the decoders it might be quicker than you think... 

If you haven't and you would like to do this please drop us a line asap!

Just now, cornelius said:

If you've given us your preference to ship sound fitted models in advance and follow up with the decoders it might be quicker than you think... 

If you haven't and you would like to do this please drop us a line asap!

Thank you. I’ll wait. Nothing like the complete package all at once. Toot, toot!