Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

• RMweb Gold

In all seriousness, I am just so impressed by this model. It ran smoothly at very slow speed, straight out of the box and the finish on it is just excellent.

The plan for this one is to convert it to P4, probably using Sharman wheels on the usual 1/8" axles, the bearings and worm drive on the loco being reamed out to accept this.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, the rumours were proved correct and a resplendent 'Mayshill', in immaculate condition from it's overhaul at Hunslets, was worked back to 'Callow Lane' this morning on a tripper from Westerleigh Yard, marshalled immediately behind the train engine, 47506.

20221105_111129.jpg.f343c5912105dfab77abfc8b18c72c20.jpg

20221105_111203.jpg.3249bf7fb2b8d9f78d6ff63c12ca448e.jpg

20221105_111239.jpg.28515433ca812e833e963c6d8359a528.jpg

20221105_111245.jpg.b8625ad92334b90ef75090947fae2e17.jpg

Keen--eyed observers will note that the nameplates were removed prior to the loco going off to Leeds. They are believed to be stored in the Foreman's office at the colliery.

It appears to have been regauged to 4'1.5" on its holiday in Leeds, with inevitably crunchy effects to ride quality as it passed through Callow Lane.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

35 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, the rumours were proved correct and a resplendent 'Mayshill', in immaculate condition from it's overhaul at Hunslets, was worked back to 'Callow Lane' this morning on a tripper from Westerleigh Yard, marshalled immediately behind the train engine, 47506.

20221105_111129.jpg.f343c5912105dfab77abfc8b18c72c20.jpg

20221105_111203.jpg.3249bf7fb2b8d9f78d6ff63c12ca448e.jpg

20221105_111239.jpg.28515433ca812e833e963c6d8359a528.jpg

20221105_111245.jpg.b8625ad92334b90ef75090947fae2e17.jpg

Keen--eyed observers will note that the nameplates were removed prior to the loco going off to Leeds. They are believed to be stored in the Foreman's office at the colliery.

Should have had the rods taken off for the journey in-train from Leeds, Cap'n. Looks like your colliery fitters will have some overtime to come.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Word of warning regarding decoders.

I ordered the sound-fitted version and so am waiting on the sound decoder but I wanted to test the model and also to get on and weather it, providing all is OK and there's no reason to reject it, so I got hold of a Bachmann dumb decoder. I plugged the decoder in, put the chassis on the rails and it made a whining sound and the short circuit lit up on the handset. This happened in reverse but it did go in forward gear. I put a piece of Kapton tape over the interface, which insulates whatever bits of decoder were touching whichever bits of interface and now it works in both forward and reverse.

I don't know what will happen with other decoders but I think it's worth putting tape on before you fit an expensive sound decoder in case you end up with a damaged decoder and not just that it won't run in one direction.

By the way, can James or Stephen please let me know where connections for a Stay Alive are to be made on the interface? I'm not used to Next 18 stuff at all.

20221105_134726.jpg.f8ba9e8c6735ca7a725a659b4488f3ee.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Every time I see the green one I can’t help thinking it looks like the G&SWR tank that’s preserved at Glasgow Riverside Museuem . Is there ant connection or is it just the shade of green that keeps reminding me? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ruston said:

Should have had the rods taken off for the journey in-train from Leeds, Cap'n. Looks like your colliery fitters will have some overtime to come.

Quite right and that is what happened, of course, with the rods stowed safely on the footplate.

When the loco got to Westerleigh Yard, it was recessed there for a couple of days, allowing the fitters from the nearby colliery to come over, fit the rods back up on the loco and get it into light steam, using some coal they brought with them on their lorry and the BR water crane at the north end of the yard. Thus the loco was almost ready to run under it's own power from 'Callow Lane' yard to Frog Lane colliery.

😉😉😉

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

Word of warning regarding decoders.

I ordered the sound-fitted version and so am waiting on the sound decoder but I wanted to test the model and also to get on and weather it, providing all is OK and there's no reason to reject it, so I got hold of a Bachmann dumb decoder. I plugged the decoder in, put the chassis on the rails and it made a whining sound and the short circuit lit up on the handset. This happened in reverse but it did go in forward gear. I put a piece of Kapton tape over the interface, which insulates whatever bits of decoder were touching whichever bits of interface and now it works in both forward and reverse.

I don't know what will happen with other decoders but I think it's worth putting tape on before you fit an expensive sound decoder in case you end up with a damaged decoder and not just that it won't run in one direction.

By the way, can James or Stephen please let me know where connections for a Stay Alive are to be made on the interface? I'm not used to Next 18 stuff at all.

20221105_134726.jpg.f8ba9e8c6735ca7a725a659b4488f3ee.jpg

Dave,

Sounds to me like the decder was not engaged correctly in the Next 18 socket. If it is not exactly 90 degrees to the fittting the decoder may a) touch the loco PCB - so an intermediary insulating layer is an excellent idea (I'd probably fit it to the decoder) or b) make poor contact with the sockect connections along one side which can cause erratic motor operation. (or both a and b)

When inserting the decoder you should feel a soft but obvious click when fully home.

It's some time since I had the EP model in my possession but I'm sure the pads marked V+ and GND are where you should connect the stay alive positive and negative respectively.

Enjoy your model, buddy.

Best regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm a litle surprised to see vac pipes on this.  Surely it would be something of a nuisance to have to connect them up at a docks or an industrial site, where they would be largely used for shunting?  It might make more sense hauling heavy trains on a steeply graded colliery lines, except that most mineral wagons were unbraked.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I'm a litle surprised to see vac pipes on this.  Surely it would be something of a nuisance to have to connect them up at a docks or an industrial site, where they would be largely used for shunting?  It might make more sense hauling heavy trains on a steeply graded colliery lines, except that most mineral wagons were unbraked.

Just because they are there, it doesn’t mean you have to connect them. Having them at least means you have train brakes when needed. 

Roy

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Just because they are there, it doesn’t mean you have to connect them. Having them at least means you have train brakes when needed. 

Roy

Indeed, but it costs to install them and keep them in working order.  Even main line railways often didn't fit them on locos that were primarily designed for haulage of loose coupled goods.  So why bother on an industrial?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

So why bother on an industrial?

In the case up the thread, the customer has chosen to do so to suit their "nominally heritage railway".

To be clear the Victory doesn't have vac pipes out of the box.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Indeed, but it costs to install them and keep them in working order.  Even main line railways often didn't fit them on locos that were primarily designed for haulage of loose coupled goods.  So why bother on an industrial?

The vast, vast majority of industrial locos didn't even have vacuum braking equipment fitted. You are quite right in that most movements were made in an unfitted state, using 3-link couplings, as opposed to screw links or instanters, which is what you might expect to find with fitted goods trains on the main line.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

because they have to work passenger trains on heritage lines

And that reminds me, I well remember the large Bagnalls 'Victor' and 'Vulcan' on the West Somerset Railway. I was even a fireman on 'Vulcan' for a short time!

These are really purposeful beasts of locos - how about it, Planet guys? 😉

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Granted, but your post that I replied to was focussed on the “nuisance to have to connect them up”, not the cost of them. 

Roy

• Like 1