Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

• RMweb Premium

PI-001-B Lined grey, IW&D 12

Although perhaps the least practical livery for prototypical use on a light railway, the IW&D lined grey is my personal favourite as the intricacy of the lining really makes the model look special. We're particularly pleased with how the lining is even applied on the frames and wheels for those additional detail touches. 

Some photo evidence shows the East Kent Railway's Victory with extremely dirty and faded IW&D lining and lettering, prior to it's repaint to green, so this is also an option if you want to really go for it with the weathering.

Available NOW for £130 from Light Railway Stores and Rails of Sheffield.

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/products/pi-001-b

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/planet-industrials-pi-001-b-kerr-stuart-victory-0-6-0t-locomotive-in-lined-grey-iw-d-12

Engines-10-22-7988.jpg

Engines-10-22-7990.jpg

Engines-10-22-8001.jpg

Engines-10-22-8020.jpg

Engines-10-22-8021.jpg

Engines-10-22-8038.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 3

21 minutes ago, cornelius said:

Although perhaps the least practical livery for prototypical use on a light railway, the IW&D lined grey is my personal favourite as the intricacy of the lining really makes the model look special. We're particularly pleased with how the lining is even applied on the frames and wheels for those additional detail touches. 

Some photo evidence shows the East Kent Railway's Victory with extremely dirty and faded IW&D lining and lettering, prior to it's repaint to green, so this is also an option if you want to really go for it with the weathering.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/planet-industrials-pi-001-b-kerr-stuart-victory-0-6-0t-locomotive-in-lined-grey-iw-d-12

Engines-10-22-7988.jpg

Engines-10-22-7990.jpg

Engines-10-22-8001.jpg

Engines-10-22-8020.jpg

Engines-10-22-8021.jpg

Engines-10-22-8038.jpg

Superb! Can’t wait for mine to arrive! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I noticed after posting the above photos that you can see in the side view that the slide bars appear loose - this must have escaped my attention during the photoshoot!

This is one of the most common QC issues we've experienced so far with the Victory and is very easily rectified by easing the etched motion bracket forwards to form the correct right angle relative to the slide bars, this locates and holds everything together. The rear 3/4 view shows what it should look like.

We have been testing all direct customer orders prior to dispatch, and fixing this when we spot it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, cornelius said:

Engines-10-22-7988.jpg

Engines-10-22-7990.jpg

Engines-10-22-8001.jpg

Engines-10-22-8020.jpg

Engines-10-22-8021.jpg

Engines-10-22-8038.jpg

That looks stunning. Detail of the firebox showing through the frames and lightening holes in the frames lined out. I ordered one of these because I incline to original liveries but it’s looking better than it initially seemed. Just one thing: the left-hand upper slide bar is badly out of place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Just one thing: the left-hand upper slide bar is badly out of place.

The slide bars are held in place by the etched metal support bracket. Ensuring this is in place is one of our QC checks during testing.

Steve had these photographed before testing began, clipping it back in place is a simple task but no one should receive one with the slide bar misplaced like this - thank you for the feedback.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2022 at 10:48, cornelius said:

@Phil Parker of this parish has been unboxing his grey Victory this morning - no video or carpets though I'm afraid

http://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2022/10/unboxing-victory.html

There is a video. It's only 5 seconds long but I'm rather concerned about the awful noise that Phil's model makes. Even turning the volume down doesn't help. Perhaps @Phil Parkercan let us know if it really does sound that bad in real life?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Parkercan let us know if it really does sound that bad in real life?

There’s a tiny bit of gear noise in reverse on both of mine but I’m sure with proper running in and lubrication it will bed in as nicely as forward as it’s so slight. It is more noticeable on a phone and sounds as it seems to pick up the frequency but far less than the grinding I got with two of the Rails Terriers. 
If I get time I’ll video one of mine tomorrow for comparison. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Ruston said:

There is a video. It's only 5 seconds long but I'm rather concerned about the awful noise that Phil's model makes. Even turning the volume down doesn't help. Perhaps @Phil Parkercan let us know if it really does sound that bad in real life?

No, it's pretty much silent. And that was the very first movement of the model. Probably a problem with the test track and microphone on the camera. 

That's why it's hard to rely on sound recording via the Web. Different mics pick up sounds differently, then they are played back through speakers that may be turned up to 11. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

That's why it's hard to rely on sound recording via the Web. Different mics pick up sounds differently, then they are played back through speakers that may be turned up to 11. 

Thanks. That's good to know.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, cornelius said:

Engines-10-22-7988.jpg

Engines-10-22-7990.jpg

Engines-10-22-8001.jpg

Engines-10-22-8020.jpg

Engines-10-22-8021.jpg

Engines-10-22-8038.jpg

i love this livery, it reminds me of post war Manchester ship canal which had some Hudswell clarke tanks (hint hint), and J94’s painted in a very similar colour scheme.

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Manchester ship canal which had some Hudswell Clarke tanks (hint hint)

Oh my gosh!! Yes, please!!

I think Hardy’s Hobbies make resin bodies of those locos (long and short tank versions) but I could imagine an absolutely exquisite model (of either, or both) from Planet Industrials, looking at their Victory loco! I’d be beating at the door, virtual chequebook in hand, reserving one (or one of each if both versions were produced!)

Currently already frothing at the mouth with excitement waiting for my pre-ordered Victory to arrive - Sod’s Law it will arrive on Friday just as I leave for a weekend residential course with the Music Service where I work!!

In fact, I may have to stop reading posts on here until it arrives, as each photo sets my heart racing and my palms sweating with antici………..

…..pation!!!

🤪

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Demned typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok here’s a quick comparison in a pretty much silent room. The best thing to do is compare the sound of both to the reversing switch on the controller that isn’t noisy in reality and is far louder than either.

Overall it’s no noisier than any loco I’ve fitted sound to and not a concern for that but the recording does seem to make the slightly deeper sound of the victory louder than they sound to my ear. I’d say the victory is typical of my Heljan, Bachmann & Hornby 0.6.0 tanks bearing in mind I sent a Rails Terrier back for being too noisy before I got one I felt I could add sound to, no such worries here. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hardy’s Hobbies make resin bodies of those locos

They did indeed make them before they were pulled due to time commitments but RTR would also be cool (though I’m more after 1857 in 00…… or Jessie).

On a separate note, can’t wait for mine to arrive (hopefully Friday though one doubts that) so I can get it running with some wagons or at least get a picture of it coupled to them!

7 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Ok here’s a quick comparison in a pretty much silent room. The best thing to do is compare the sound of both to the reversing switch on the controller that isn’t noisy in reality and is far louder than either.

Overall it’s no noisier than any loco I’ve fitted sound to and not a concern for that but the recording does seem to make the slightly deeper sound of the victory louder than they sound to my ear. I’d say the victory is typical of my Heljan, Bachmann & Hornby 0.6.0 tanks bearing in mind I sent a Rails Terrier back for being too noisy before I got one I felt I could add sound to, no such worries here. 

My Pecketts run well but it is very noticeable that the Victory runs much more smoothly than the Peckett in that video. Excellent! What a contrast in size too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow!  I only happened upon this thread by chance while browsing through RMweb after returning from a week’s holiday.  So nice to see such a positive response to the launch of this new  model: it’s a lovely looking locomotive, which seems to have been executed as a model with every attention to detail possible.  Really looks to be a winner (I’m not in the market for one myself - sorry, but I have found myself thinking ahead to the next Awards season, to be honest).  Coming so soon after James’ wonderful new book too, all I can say is “Well done!”  For those of us for whom this is simply a hobby for pure enjoyment, even reading this thread is delightful.  Keith.    

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

PI-001-C Lined green

Inspired by, but not presented as a strictly accurate representation of, the East Kent Railway's Nº 4, the lined green livery is a great classic choice for a light railway loco with plenty of scope to add your own railway's lettering or a custom etched nameplate.

Slide bars are intact today!

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/products/pi-001-c

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/planet-industrials-pi-001-c-kerr-stuart-victory-0-6-0t-locomotive-in-lined-green

Engines-10-22-7978.jpg

Engines-10-22-7979.jpg

Engines-10-22-8005.jpg

Engines-10-22-8013.jpg

Engines-10-22-8016.jpg

Engines-10-22-8034.jpg

Engines-10-22-8035.jpg

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, cornelius said:

PI-001-C Lined green

Inspired by, but not presented as a strictly accurate representation of, the East Kent Railway's Nº 4, the lined green livery is a great classic choice for a light railway loco with plenty of scope to add your own railway's lettering or a custom etched nameplate.

Slide bars are intact today!

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/products/pi-001-c

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/planet-industrials-pi-001-c-kerr-stuart-victory-0-6-0t-locomotive-in-lined-green

Engines-10-22-7978.jpg

Engines-10-22-7979.jpg

Engines-10-22-8005.jpg

Engines-10-22-8013.jpg

Engines-10-22-8016.jpg

Engines-10-22-8034.jpg

Engines-10-22-8035.jpg

Beautiful! The lining on the boiler bands is amazing.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Any further thoughts on the taller cab ? ................. to make it a closer representation of No.4.

The taller cab was only on the first two examples. In addition, to do a real No.4 you’d also need to consider the replacement smokebox it received later in life…

The cab, tanks and bunker are all one moulding. The cab front and back are inserts, so whilst a taller cab is in theory possible, it is not straight forward.

Once I start on the Lambton conversion it will also allow me to look at the feasibility of this taller cab option too, although you would likely need to cut the cab at the seam and replace the top half, roof, front and back. Leave it with me, but if anyone does do it, I’d love to see the result. 

• Like 1

Mine arrived today James, its absolutely exquisite, one of the most beautiful models I've ever owned. I can scarcely believe that its a first go effort by a small proprietor given that it exceeds the efforts of some of the oldest manufactures in this hobby. 

ScR  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

What an absolute little stunner!!! This model is an complete triumph, made even more amazing by the fact it is the first foray into RTR locos by Pi.

Thank you so much for bringing one of my all time favourite classes of loco to market in such wonderful style!

DSC03097.JPG

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

The taller cab was only on the first two examples. In addition, to do a real No.4 you’d also need to consider the replacement smokebox it received later in life… 

I'm not sure how different the replacement smoke box actually is - comparing the photos on page 364 of the 2003 Oakwood Press book suggests that it's just the front of the 'box that's different with a ring of rivets round the smaller SECR dished door ...... the latter is probably available as a spare from SouthEastern Finecast.

.... anyway, my proto-No.4 is now in the post ! 😄

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 1