Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

Postman has been today 😁 Only had time for a quick test on DC it's seems very quiet and smooth but didn't like some of my poorly laid Peco code 100 track. Photographed with a tri-ang 0-6-0 tank painted by father around 50 years ago

PSX_20230125_133422.jpg

PSX_20230125_132300.jpg

PSX_20230125_132046.jpg

PSX_20230125_132106.jpg

Edited by 92912
  • Like 12

• Administrators
3 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

That cab looks nice.  I doubt the fire glow effect is up to much on DC, though - I assume that's DCC?

DCC? You insult me sir. Nothing but Gods' own 12v DC going on around here! 😁

Cab glow.jpg

Cab glow is very nice. Plenty bright enough. The only chips in this loco will be the ones cooked on the shovel over the LED!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn’t know anything about these until I got an email from rails this morning as it’s not in my normal modelling spectrum however I can get away with running one on my ‘heritage’ part of the layout with my other small tank locos

only issue is which one to get?

I like the NCB maroon one with the wasp stipe buffer beam but also like the garish green ones and the blue one appeals too as that’s a preserved one

decisions decisions! 

without going back through the thread, how is the next 18 chip fitted, body off job or via the smoke box? 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, big jim said:

I didn’t know anything about these until I got an email from rails this morning as it’s not in my normal modelling spectrum however I can get away with running one on my ‘heritage’ part of the layout with my other small tank locos

I like the NCB maroon one with the wasp stipe buffer beam but also like the garish green ones and the blue one appeals too as that’s a preserved one

decisions decisions! 

without going back through the thread, how is the next 18 chip fitted, body off job or via the smoke box? 

Jacks Green and Holly Bank No.3 are both preserved in the guise we have modelled. Primrose, Beatrice and Arthur are all also preserved but are carrying other liveries or not in traffic.

To fit the chip the saddle tank un-clips. All very simple!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Slight word of caution.

Whilst removing Arthur's tension lock couplings to fit Kadees, I managed to dislodge one of his rear buffers, but didn't notice immediately. It took over half an hour on my knees to find the little blighter, which is now firmly glued back where it belongs.

FWIW a #17 Kadee is pretty much spot on for my requirements on the back. On the front, a #18 is a bit too short but a #19 is a tad longer than ideal. I'll probably shorten the #19 and glue it in the pocket at the desired depth.

Anybody with No.2 radius curves should stick to #19 front, #18 rear.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 3

Having seen some layout images I found my hand inexorably navigating to the Rapido website to place an order I took a fancy to the black one with industrial steam being rather up my alley (think the PI Kerr Stuart Victory which is a fantastic engine). However, I use DC, and I can't seem to place an order for the DC one with the only option being DCC fitted, am I missing something or just being a bit dense? 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, HExpressD said:

Having seen some layout images I found my hand inexorably navigating to the Rapido website to place an order I took a fancy to the black one with industrial steam being rather up my alley (think the PI Kerr Stuart Victory which is a fantastic engine). However, I use DC, and I can't seem to place an order for the DC one with the only option being DCC fitted, am I missing something or just being a bit dense? 

Currently they are sold out on the website but they are still available via retailers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

That cab looks nice.  I doubt the fire glow effect is up to much on DC, though - I assume that's DCC?

I’m running on DCC. It just seems to be a constant light though - no flicker. Not sure if that’s down to decoder settings as I’ve not had much time to play with it yet 

• RMweb Premium

I did check out the firebox glow on mine and it does flicker but it's quite subtle, unlike say the flicker on the Dapol/Rails Terriers which is far more obvious. Running on DC, btw.

• Like 1

I was precisely as Big Jim earlier on.

I received the Rails email, took a little look, had been looking at Hornby Peckett's for some time without committing, so went straight for Holly Bank #3 without delay.

Detailing looks sublime, and can't wait to receive it.

Probably the most spontaneous thing I've done this last year!!

The fact I love my 'replaced' LNER Dynamometer Car might have swayed it a little!!

Al.

On 25/01/2023 at 14:09, big jim said:

decisions decisions! 

FWIW Jim several locos migrated to Littletons including "sisters" Carol Ann No 5 and Robert Nelson No 4, so these were actually working steam locos in the 1970s - over the railway you know well. Carol Ann was actually renumbered by grinding off the 5 and sticking a 1 instead. Robert Nelson No 4 was preserved at several railways and I caught up with it at the GCR in Loughborough a long time ago. 

image.png

• Like 1

Alex is here and running in at 50%.  Firebox glow is nice.

20230127_121601.jpg

Update: runs very smoothly on 3rd or 2nd radius and looks great.  Will do my short-point train set style crossover in forward but derails in reverse (I have an N15 that struggles in the same way).  Would recommend express points if you're building a layout around one of these, although express points are ALWAYS recommended.

Edited by rogerzilla
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Picked one up today from Richard at trident trains, same price as rails of Sheffield with the bonus of seeing it test run first 

lovely loco, just waiting on a DCC chip coming and I’ll get it chipped up

IMG_9075.HEIC

a quick size comparison with the peckett

IMG_9076.HEIC

IMG_9077.HEIC

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1