Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, davknigh said:

Had the pleasure of running my “Arthur” today after giving a running in session on rollers last night. I noticed a couple of things, Arthur is happier on track than rollers which suggests I should check to make sure my rollers are level, and when tested to the limit (a rake of 9 coaches) he draws more current rather than letting his wheels slip which concerns me a little. One other small thing, after reading through the instructions (!) I went to the website in the hope of downloading a larger version of the exploded diagram. I could not find anything larger than the one on the instruction sheet. Will this be remedied in the not too distant future?

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

Here is the PDF version of the exploded diagram. It'll be uploaded to the website soon, too.

906 Hunslet 16%22 Exploded Diagram - Rapido Trains UK.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Been doing a bit of image research on the 16" Hunslets which worked local to me.  The Holly Bank colliery acquired three 16" Hunslets to work the short branches from the colliery to the exchange sidings, and to the transhipment wharf at Short Heath.  Holly Bank No 3, Robert Nelson No 4 and Carol Ann No 5. The adjacent pit at Hilton Main took over coal production and Holly Bank pit was relegated to pumping water.

The Holly Bank steam locos carried a green livery and it was the diesels that imported blue to the network - two Janus and a couple Bagnall DL2s.  The relegated steam locos migrated mostly to Littleton colliery which was jut a few miles away. You will therefore find photos of Robert Nelson No 4 and Carol Ann No 1 (renumbered because Littleton already had a No 5) in blue livery.  So I have decided that my blue Hunslet will receive a new identity and my newly acqiuired "Jacks Green"  will become Holly Bank No 3 in green.

Studies of published images suggest that the pipe between the mechanical lubricator and the dome was not fitted to the Staffordshire trio. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Postman has just delivered 'Ring Haw' from Hardys Hobbies. 

Excellent service from Andy and Steve. The 3D printed crew and bag of coal are a nice touch.

Believe it or not the certificate inside the box says Number 1 of 130..Blimey! 

Ring Haw Nassington

Now I have the Nassington duo. 

Ring Haw Nassington

For those interested Ring Haw is a piece of woodland alongside the Fotheringhay bridleway. 

Jacks Green is a clearing in Great Byards Sale west of the Abethorpe bridleway.

Both are brilliant models and I'm looking forwards to detailing and weathering them.

Ring Haw Nassington

Once again congratulations to Rapido and Hardys Hobbies.

Cheers, 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Covkid said:

Been doing a bit of image research on the 16" Hunslets which worked local to me.  The Holly Bank colliery acquired three 16" Hunslets to work the short branches from the colliery to the exchange sidings, and to the transhipment wharf at Short Heath.  Holly Bank No 3, Robert Nelson No 4 and Carol Ann No 5. The adjacent pit at Hilton Main took over coal production and Holly Bank pit was relegated to pumping water.

The Holly Bank steam locos carried a green livery and it was the diesels that imported blue to the network - two Janus and a couple Bagnall DL2s.  The relegated steam locos migrated mostly to Littleton colliery which was jut a few miles away. You will therefore find photos of Robert Nelson No 4 and Carol Ann No 1 (renumbered because Littleton already had a No 5) in blue livery.  So I have decided that my blue Hunslet will receive a new identity and my newly acqiuired "Jacks Green"  will become Holly Bank No 3 in green.

Studies of published images suggest that the pipe between the mechanical lubricator and the dome was not fitted to the Staffordshire trio. 

Looking at the painting specs the details for Hollybank No.3 as delivered are as follows:

Olive Green lined black style & vermillion with 0.25 inch yellow distance line.

Robert Nelson No.4 and Carol Ann No.5 were also the same. At various points before changing to blue they had NCB applied in varying places and sizes.

• Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Looking at the painting specs the details for Hollybank No.3 as delivered are as follows:

Olive Green lined black style & vermillion with 0.25 inch yellow distance line.

Robert Nelson No.4 and Carol Ann No.5 were also the same. At various points before changing to blue they had NCB applied in varying places and sizes.

Thanks very much for that Andy. Finally confirmed.

Much appreciated 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Thanks very much for that Andy. Finally confirmed.

Much appreciated 

Also be aware that the Holly Bank engines had non-standard handrails. They have extra handrails around the smokebox and also some grab style handrails above the steps to access the water filler. I did look at doing them in early condition but wasn't sure if the missing handrails would put people off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As noted, the Holly Bank trio moved over to Littleton where two of them were certainly photographed in colour, leaving no doubt what colour at least two of them were. Its fairly safe to assume that Holly Bank no3 was so treated while at Littleton, but if you're going to go for earlier condition and repurposing a green model, don't forget the buffers too. The original No3 had rather more slender buffers with a bit of a taper to them. One reason why the model is better suited to the preserved ex-Darfield No1 or with a few livery and plate location tweaks will cover Robert Nelson No4 and Carol Ann No1.

You're right about that pipe, it is not present on the original Holly Bank trio nor on preserved Holly Bank No3 version 2 (Darfield No1). Thankfully its loose to aid access to the DCC socket so can simply be removed and left off. For various reasons (buffers, brasswork, plate placements etc) I'm assuming that the model of Holly Bank No3 is of the preserved example which was turned out blue in 2012. As such would need to source vac and steam heat pipes; carried from the early 80s throughout preservation.

Patiently waiting for the sound models to be checked over, really looking forward to seeing what they manage given how loudly No3 was barking away while they were recording.

• Like 1

I have just fitted my "Alex" with DCC sound and stay alive. I was very pleased to find that a decent speaker was chosen for factory fitting, and the running quality is EVEN BETTER than it is on DC - particularly at low speed - perfect for the work the prototype was built for. 

Well done Rapido. You have made a superb model and long may your industrial theme continue! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine had a good run today.

however, changing the couplings to Kadees didn’t go straight forward. When I tried to pull out the tension lock coupling the NEM box broke. The back end of the box is covered by the chassis cover plate so this requires unscrewing to be able to use tweezers on the prongs of the coupler. Luckily I had a spare NEM box.

I test fitted Kadee number 19s before refixing  the chassis cover plate. They are just about the best size for the loco.

all now working very smoothly.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive never know such a tight coupling! I took one of mine out to fit a chaldron magnetic one, thought I was doing something wrong at first or that it was non removable! 

m my DCC chip has arrived so hopefully get it chipped up on Friday 

Coupling woes have been covered earlier.    NEMs are tight, you'll need to work the swallowtails.    @rapidoandy has also acknowledged issues with the keeper and cover plate fit. 

Actually, @rapidoandy, do you offhand know if your factory on this job works with Heljan?   Their 1366 had similar issues with the keeper plate?

42 minutes ago, big jim said:

Ive never know such a tight coupling! I took one of mine out to fit a chaldron magnetic one, thought I was doing something wrong at first or that it was non removable! 

m my DCC chip has arrived so hopefully get it chipped up on Friday 

What chip did you purchase? 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Also be aware that the Holly Bank engines had non-standard handrails. They have extra handrails around the smokebox and also some grab style handrails above the steps to access the water filler. I did look at doing them in early condition but wasn't sure if the missing handrails would put people off.

The handrails round the smokebox are fairly unusual but the handgrab above the step for access to the water filler is almost universal - it's only on one side though. The taper buffers originally fitted to HE 1451 Holly Bank No3 are very unusual and definitely non-standard, the vast majority of Hunslet locos had the buffers on the model with varying size heads fitted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Just a few little bits of weathering to go, plus oil cans on the running plate and crew figures. Hunsletweathering2.jpg.d1cb7f7670ade55bf1d0d8dcf4258f69.jpg

Very nicely done. I have a photo of this loco that looks like the nameplate is resting on the handrails. It’s got a lot of rust on it aswell.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2023 at 10:11, RapidoCorbs said:

Hi Edward, may I ask which controller are you using?

Hello Corbs, its a Hornby R7229, a very rudimentary set up. I've already dispatched the model back to Rapido for a check up, still I suspect if there is a fault its on my end. 

I love my Holly Bank #3, but there is a 'but' ....

I would not consider myself clumsy, but I did have one set of steps fall off, and the chimney as well - both were easily near-invisibly re-glued into place.

For such a small locomotive, it is incredibly smooth, quiet and a fantastic performer.

Al.

8 hours ago, Norton961 said:

Regarding Holly Bank No3 don’t forget the loco was transferred to Granville Colliery in Shropshire in 1964 and worked there until scrapping in 1966.

David

No way!

I knew it worked where I used to live, by the Littleton Colliery, I didn't know it also used to work where I live now 🙂

That's really interesting, thank you...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I just wondered what the consensus view of slow running is - I did see a bit of a Youtube review where the slow running performance would not be acceptable on a small shunting layout like mine - or was that unusual? I have one on order (with sound so currently delayed)...

ChrisH