Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

I just wondered what the consensus view of slow running is - I did see a bit of a Youtube review where the slow running performance would not be acceptable on a small shunting layout like mine - or was that unusual? I have one on order (with sound so currently delayed)...

ChrisH

My Holly Bank:

1. DC running only - Gaugemaster transformer / controller.

2. Uses less power than other locomotives - perhaps '5 units' (percent) less.

3. Slow running is superb!  Very slow, you can see slight jerks between motor poles.

4. Slow over Express points - it will stop - short wheelbase caught out.

5. Perhaps equivalent of 10+ mph and there's never an issue - perhaps just <1 wheel rotation per second.

6. Very initially, there's a little hesitancy whilst the axles are 'making contact with the chassis', but so far, after probably 5 hours' running, I've had no major issues to report, and can literally leave the little gem running slowly, smoothly for a couple of hours!!

Hope that helps.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I just wondered what the consensus view of slow running is - I did see a bit of a Youtube review where the slow running performance would not be acceptable on a small shunting layout like mine - or was that unusual? I have one on order (with sound so currently delayed)...

ChrisH

Morning Chris, 

Knowing each other as we do, I know we expect the same from our locos. I intend to give Arthur some more time running in and the circle of track will be deployed once more to the dining table.

As it stands, Arthur will run smoothly and slowly but will not come to a nice gradual halt. This is using a Gaugemaster combi.  Annoyingly worse in reverse than forwards and very much a 'drop the anchor" halt. I would not therefore be happy to use it in an exhibition environment on Sheep Dip, as intended. 

If I had to place mine on a list of rtr industrials, based on personal examples and current performance (in coming to a gradual halt....)

1, Pi Kerr Stuart.

2, Hornby Peckett W4/Hattons Andrew Barclay/ EFE Austerity. 

3,Rapido Hunslett. 

Which I'm very surprised at. 

I'm therefore holding off adding another example to the fleet until I can see an improvement. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

ChrisH

What video was that? There seems to be several on YouTube showing a very smooth running loco, even at slow speed.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

ChrisH

Hi Chris,

When I first tested my 'Alex', it was using one of my AMR slow-speed controllers, which I believe have a slight feed-back output (although they are no longer produced). The performance was not great at slow speed, some hesitancy and reluctance to start and stop slowly and smoothly, just like Rob's experience.

It was a bit better on an ordinary mains Gaugemaster controller, but still not good enough for my purposes.

I then gave it 4 - 5 hours running in on my rolling road and tried it again with the above Gaugemaster and running was much improved.

I then got out my other AMR slow speed controller (they are both hand-helds), which is the one I normally use with Bethesda and Bleakhouse Road. This controller seems to have a slightly weaker feed-back element to it. I have happily used this particular controller with Portescap-fitted locos over many years, with no discernible detriment to the Portescap motor. When I tried 'Alex' with this controller, the smoothness was sufficiently improved for me to consider him 'Passed fit' for the next stage - ie. weathering and inclusion in the main layout roster.

I did remove the keeper plate as per Rob's suggestion, but unlike Rob, I didn't find large accumulations of oil or lubricating grease.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

ChrisH

No adjustments to these two running straight from the box. They have been run in for half an hour each way. You’ll note Holly Bank pauses on a known dodgy point the first time and very slightly slows over it the second time. I didn’t bother to clean it just to see how it ran. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. 

I'm not a fan of Sam and therefore I attribute little credibility to his "reviews". My concern in this instance  is we can't see what he's doing with the controller.......but......in terms of halting his example mirrors mine. Very abrupt. The images of his chassis also show a lot less grease than mine had, prior to me removing some. 

Mine will move off very nicely, probably better than Sam's and in both directions. It's the slowing and gradual halting that I'm not currently satisfied with. 

Arthur is currently lapping the dining table and has been since 11 this morning, way more than recommended in an effort to bed things in. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Interesting. 

I'm not a fan of Sam and therefore I attribute little credibility to his "reviews". My concern in this instance  is we can't see what he's doing with the controller.......but......in terms of halting his example mirrors mine. Very abrupt. The images of his chassis also show a lot less grease than mine had, prior to me removing some. 

Mine will move off very nicely, probably better than Sam's and in both directions. It's the slowing and gradual halting that I'm not currently satisfied with. 

Arthur is currently lapping the dining table and has been since 11 this morning, way more than recommended in an effort to bed things in. 

Rob. 

Hi Rob - I too am not a fan but the film of the slow running is useful. I did a bit of web search for this loco once I picked up some comments about the slow speed performance and his was one review that came up.

Cheers

Chris

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris, 

Knowing each other as we do, I know we expect the same from our locos. I intend to give Arthur some more time running in and the circle of track will be deployed once more to the dining table.

As it stands, Arthur will run smoothly and slowly but will not come to a nice gradual halt. This is using a Gaugemaster combi.  Annoyingly worse in reverse than forwards and very much a 'drop the anchor" halt. I would not therefore be happy to use it in an exhibition environment on Sheep Dip, as intended. 

If I had to place mine on a list of rtr industrials, based on personal examples and current performance (in coming to a gradual halt....)

1, Pi Kerr Stuart.

2, Hornby Peckett W4/Hattons Andrew Barclay/ EFE Austerity. 

3,Rapido Hunslett. 

Which I'm very surprised at. 

I'm therefore holding off adding another example to the fleet until I can see an improvement. 

Rob. 

Hi Rob, I'm very surprised by your observations on slow running.

I'm on DC using a Gaugemaster 'Model D' transformer / controller and mine's absolutely perfect down to and up from very, very low speeds, literally able to see the slow pulsing of the motor poles.

For others, 'that YT video' refers to our mate 'Sam's Trains' video last night, criticising the slow running.

I queried this, as I believe he uses the same controller, and mine's obviously so much better - it was out of the box, and has now run for hours and is if anything better still.

When I was 'playing Silly B's' a couple of years ago, perhaps the only locomotives possibly better are my Hornby Princess Elizabeth and Royal Scot for micro-crawling.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 3

Mine now goes as well as it looks. Zimo MS590 and Lais 870007 Stay Alive fitted. I had to solder the SA wires directly to the decoder, which was a bit risky, but nothing got melted or fried in the process. The loco is shown in the Fiddle Yard, running over a piece of paper to demonstrate the Stay Alive.

Well done to the Rapido chaps for taking the plunge into British industrials and for producing an excellent model. Apart from the PCB not having provision for a Stay Alive, I can't fault it.

What's the next industrial to be?
A Hunslet diesel, like this one at the Pontypool & Blaenavon, perhaps?

pnb07c.jpg.0ea10ece578d0f77cdbad3722a7058be.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, That Model Railway Guy said:

Have to admit I was curious as to how slow I could get mine to go too...

That said, this is running on DCC with a Zimo decoder installed. Still, it kept this up for a decent amount of time before I got bored and had it trundle off to find some wagons. I'm unlikely to ever run it this slow again!

My Holly Bank #3 is capable of being as slow, or slower than that on DC, but as I had mentioned earlier, I do see slight 'pulses' in the changes of poles, perhaps as slow as one pole per second.

Al.

Oh dear. 

After my post of sheer joy yesterday after fitting Alex with sound and stay alive my second 16" arrived this afternoon. This second one was ordered as Arthur, yet what arrived was Alex! I did quite like the idea of having a pair in matching red livery so I decided to unpack it for testing and approval, however it seems that some 16" Hunslets weren't built with a crank axle 

I know of a friend's Alex which has been fitted with not one crank axle but two. 

PXL_20230202_142649668.jpg

Edited by rsh7684

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, rsh7684 said:

Oh dear. 

After my post of sheer joy yesterday after fitting Alex with sound and stay alive my second 16" arrived this afternoon. This second one was ordered as Arthur, yet what arrived was Alex! I did quite like the idea of having a pair in matching red livery so I decided to unpack it for testing and approval, however it seems that some 16" Hunslets weren't built with a crank axle 

I know of a friend's Alex which has been fitted with not one crank axle but two. 

aaargh, please can you fill in the warranty form so we can get this fixed? Sorry!

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/warranty-form/

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, rsh7684 said:

Oh dear. 

Fill in this and they’ll sort it like Corbs and Dan have done for the chimney on mine

😀

Edited by PaulRhB

Just now, RapidoCorbs said:

aaargh, please can you fill in the warranty form so we can get this fixed? Sorry!

@RapidoCorbsThank you for the timely acknowledgment. I will fill in the warranty form immediately. Such a shame to see QC flaws on what it otherwise a superb subject and an equally good model. 

Kindest regards.  

3 hours ago, rsh7684 said:

@RapidoCorbsThank you for the timely acknowledgment. I will fill in the warranty form immediately. Such a shame to see QC flaws on what it otherwise a superb subject and an equally good model. 

Kindest regards.  

Or you could put it on ebay as a SUPER RARE MODEL!!!!!!!! and make a tidy profit...

• Funny 1

Question time. I want to replicate Holly Bank No.3 as she is on the Chasewater Railway, or at least as she was when @AY Mod and I rode on the footplate while the Rapido guys recorded some chuffing noises (from the loco, not Andy moaning about RMwebber's...) .

However, there is a hatch on the roof, that isn't on the model. It's arrowed in this photo:

Loco.jpg

Does anyone know the dimensions of the hatch? I can probably work it out from the picture, but before I hack a hole in my model, I thought I'd ask. After all, I spent a long time poking a camera through it while we trundled along, so it needs to be there on my model.

Thanks

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Or you could put it on ebay as a SUPER RARE MODEL!!!!!!!! and make a tidy profit...

Is it a "SUPER RARE MODEL" though when there's AT LEAST one more of the same livery with wrong wheelsets? I for one would not take someone's money for a faulty item through eBay or anywhere else for that matter. 

I have been in contact with @RapidoCorbsas you will see and the warranty form has been filled in accordingly. When this fault has been rectified the loco in question will remain in my possession and see regular service. 

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Question time. I want to replicate Holly Bank No.3 as she is on the Chasewater Railway, or at least as she was when @AY Mod and I rode on the footplate while the Rapido guys recorded some chuffing noises (from the loco, not Andy moaning about RMwebber's...) .

However, there is a hatch on the roof, that isn't on the model. It's arrowed in this photo:

Loco.jpg

Does anyone know the dimensions of the hatch? I can probably work it out from the picture, but before I hack a hole in my model, I thought I'd ask. After all, I spent a long time poking a camera through it while we trundled along, so it needs to be there on my model.

Thanks

If the hatch doesn't open can you just get away with the hatch cover and no hole...says the lazy modeller.....and I reckon its about 24" square...may be a little less...

Chris

Edited by Gilbert