Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best layout name puns

• RMweb Gold

If we didn't know better would we in a million years get away with modelling places called Penistone, Scunthorpe or Clitheroe? Reality is as strange as invention sometimes.

Quite so. In my yoof, there were three communities nearby, where some delicious young ladies dwelt - Bookham, Fetcham and - wonderfully, oh, yes please! - Effingham! What happened just down the road at Horsley was open to some discussion, too!

• RMweb Gold

I remember there was a big tailchaser at an exhibition about 30 years ago called Long Suffren...

There was a small Welsh-based layout in a Model Railway Constructor about 1980 (EM I think) with a station called Pwsllab (read it backwards & remember the Welsh substitute "w" for "u" sometimes wink.gif )

A friend built a layout called "Stuckondore" (Stuck on Door) and it was. Stuckondore ran small tank locos including Thomas with small coaches and wagons and the kids loved it at our Bendigo Australia exhibition a few years back.

Mark

Wonder if anyone's built a layout and nicked the villiage name from just south of Llandrindod Wells - Cwm Bach. It means Little Valley.

I think there is a Cwm Bach, which used to have a station, somewhere in the South Wales valleys. Imagine the fun (or frustration) you could have by going to the booking office and asking for a "Return ticket to Cwm Bach please"

Richard

• RMweb Gold

seven d'wharfs

Thanks Mike! I'll give you the money next time I see you! ;)

As the owner of "Severn D'wharves" I have to confess that my all time favourite was Roger from Wakefields Wild-West shunting plank that rejoiced in the name of "East Clintwood" :D

We are not worthy.................

A late friend of mine built a Welsh terminus set in the village of "Cwm Dansyn" and Jamie Mitchel has proposed an East coast of Scotland branch to "Kirk Douglas". Apparently everybody who lives there is called Sparticus. ;)

I remember there was a big tailchaser at an exhibition about 30 years ago called Long Suffren...

That is one that I have always remembered. Quite funny I thought at the time. It had a branch to a place called Theworse. The station nameboards read:

Long Suffren

Change for Theworse

I designed - a good while ago - a double 4' long layout that had 2 different South American scenes assembled opposite way around, where one formed the fiddle yard for the other, called "Ocho Pies" ( a bi-lingual pun - it means Eight Feet) There were also a series of Central American HOn30 ideas for layouts, that were all designed to be made for the least possible expenditure. They were called by names like Xipas Ican, Xipas Canbe, Xipli Biltun, Xipas Xet, Xiparan Xipa and similar - again these are bi-lingual puns - when you realize that in Mexican/Mayan spanish "X" is pronounced as "CH" - the result of a 6 month tour in Belize

• RMweb Premium

I've been thinking of a Scottish layout called 'Glen Campbell' for a while...

You could run Hornby's still under-wraps release "Clan Destine" on that :lol:

Archived