Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Where the person who quoted Newport sourced his information from mystifies me. Croes Newydd is a district of Wrexham. The nearest Newport is over the border in Salop..aka Shropshire. The shed was always known as Croes Newydd and the source of motive power and maintenance for the northern section of the Cambrian line; others being Oswestry,Machynlleth and Shrewsbury which was 7817 ‘s next shed. I suspect she was probably working out of Oswestry in the interim ,though war work would also have clouded the issue At any rate,she was a Cambrian loco.

For what it's worth my 1956 Ian Allan shed book quotes Croes Newydd as at 24 March 1956.

BR Database has it at Shrewsbury for a month in 1958 then back to Croes Newydd until 1961. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 25/01/2022 at 18:56, john dew said:

Anthony Manor appealed because I liked the idea of a shirt button

I think it is a reasonable assumption that all the first batch of Manors appeared with shirtbuttoned tenders. It is also a reasonable assumption they were Churchward 3500g. What the tender bodies and underframes were is another matter.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

There were four big companies at nationalisation, but six regions afterwards.  A lot more if want pre-grouping.

I think we need an FROTH alert icon on the front page that shows when a thread is approaching the frothing stage. It only takes an innocent (?) comment like this  to start a wave

giphy.gif

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Where the person who quoted Newport sourced his information from mystifies me. Croes Newydd is a district of Wrexham. The nearest Newport is over the border in Salop..aka Shropshire. The shed was always known as Croes Newydd and the source of motive power and maintenance for the northern section of the Cambrian line; others being Oswestry,Machynlleth and Shrewsbury which was 7817 ‘s next shed. I suspect she was probably working out of Oswestry in the interim ,though war work would also have clouded the issue At any rate,she was a Cambrian loco.

Hi Iain

As I thought I had made clear, it was a direct quote from Great Western.org steam locomotives.

Thank you for the clarification it had always puzzled me.

Best wishes

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

7817 was at Croes Newydd in january 1948 according to Lyons in his GW sheds book.  Looks in fact to have been a long term resident and the brief time at Salop in October 1958 followed by a return to. Croes Newydd looks very much like a paper transfer that never took place and was subsequently cancelled.

And yes, Croes Newydd is a district of Wrexham and nothing to do with nr ewport - maybe someone got carried away, or lost, when preparing that list?

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2022 at 15:43, Accurascale Fran said:

Apologies, but we cannot say that these are EM gauge friendly either. It is a real challenge with steam locomotives of this type, but perhaps some 3rd party ingenuity will be able to make it possible

Hi Fran,

As a (part time) P4 modeller, I am all for easy conversions from OO to P4, where you simply swap the wheels and adjust the pickups, but realistically I know that in many cases, this won't really be that straightforward, so if I buy an OO model with the intention of converting it to P4, at the back of my mind is the expectation that I may have to replace the chassis with an etched kit.

Of course, chassis replacement is made considerably easier, if you can separate the body from the OO chassis quickly and simply.

Two recent pannier releases from different manufacturers have demonstrated that this can be either easy or extremely difficult (verging on the virtually impossible).

So, my question is this (and apologies if it has already been asked) - how easy will it be for modellers to remove the Manor body from the chassis, so that a replacement chassis for P4 (or EM) can be fitted, please?

(I appreciate that any existing chassis, eg. Comet, may need some modification as I understand it's designed around the old Mainline or Bachmann model, but such work would normally be relatively straightforward).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi Fran,

As a (part time) P4 modeller, I am all for easy conversions from OO to P4, where you simply swap the wheels and adjust the pickups, but realistically I know that in many cases, this won't really be that straightforward, so if I buy an OO model with the intention of converting it to P4, at the back of my mind is the expectation that I may have to replace the chassis with an etched kit.

Of course, chassis replacement is made considerably easier, if you can separate the body from the OO chassis quickly and simply.

Two recent pannier releases from different manufacturers have demonstrated that this can be either easy or extremely difficult (verging on the virtually impossible).

So, my question is this (and apologies if it has already been asked) - how easy will it be for modellers to remove the Manor body from the chassis, so that a replacement chassis for P4 (or EM) can be fitted, please?

(I appreciate that any existing chassis, eg. Comet, may need some modification as I understand it's designed around the old Mainline or Bachmann model, but such work would normally be relatively straightforward).

Hi @Captain Kernow

Can confirm that body removal is a mere two screws!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well theres always scope for correcting the track to scale, if you make Accuratrack and thats the job sorted,make your model range run with the track.

And immediately chop your likely sales by 90+%

Dream on.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

7817 was at Croes Newydd in january 1948 according to Lyons in his GW sheds book.  Looks in fact to have been a long term resident and the brief time at Salop in October 1958 followed by a return to. Croes Newydd looks very much like a paper transfer that never took place and was subsequently cancelled.

And yes, Croes Newydd is a district of Wrexham and nothing to do with nr ewport - maybe someone got carried away, or lost, when preparing that list?

To complete the story, Croes Newydd the GWR  shed is somewhere under Aldi and Morrisions in Wrexham. The adjacent part of the railway to Brymbo and Minera is now part of the hospital car park. The site of the LNER shed at Wrexham, Rhos Duu, is now occupied by housing. - Not being a 'know all' but his caught my interest and  I didn't know exactly where they were till I looked. I've just spent 10 mins on the national Library of Scotland map website to find out! :) 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

To complete the story, Croes Newydd the GWR  shed is somewhere under Aldi and Morrisions in Wrexham. The adjacent part of the railway to Brymbo and Minera is now part of the hospital car park. The site of the LNER shed at Wrexham, Rhos Duu, is now occupied by housing. - Not being a 'know all' but his caught my interest and  I didn't know exactly where they were till I looked. I've just spent 10 mins on the national Library of Scotland map website to find out! :) 

All you had to do is open the link I posted 23 hours ago which has that information:D.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

So it would perhaps be safe to assume that 7817 would have been used on the long gone line via Llangollen to the coast…and beyond  ? 

Croess Newydd was a GWR shed, it was never anything to do with the Cambrian. The Cambrian serviced it's locos at the GCR shed, Rhosddu which was connected via the joint Cambrian/GCR Wrexham Central station, then from 1907 in it's own shed, which later went to Aberaeron. Croes Newydd only got a nose in to Cambrian territory after the grouping when the old Dolgellau boundary between Cambrian and GWR was broken, and the section from there on to Barmouth via Barmouth Junction was logically added on. It was never proper Cambrian. (Wolverhampton Division, not Central Wales)

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

So it would perhaps be safe to assume that 7817 would have been used on the long gone line via Llangollen to the coast…and beyond  ? 

Yes, I think you would be safe to assume that.  Just had a look in Laurence Waters 'Manor Class' book and on page 20, there is a picture of a very grimy 7817 at Barmouth in June 1946.  It states in the caption that the engine was allocated at this time to Croes Newydd, so almost certainly it would have come down the Llangollen line.  There is another picture on page 72 of the same book with 7817 arriving at Barmouth on 4 September 1959 with a Ruabon to Pwllheli service - again the caption states that 7817 was Croes Newydd based at that time. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 25/01/2022 at 19:02, BR Blue said:

That's nothing. I intend to rename my Manor King George V. I suspect some people might have a problem with that. :)

Mine will become Clun Castle as thats my favourite GWR engine. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

With all this talk of renaming, genuinely or jokingly, as they are being supplied with fitted etched plates will they be easy enough to change without damaging items such as the reversing rod?

Just removed pre fitted etched plates from a Bacchy 6990 …. Just the point of a sharp blade in behind them and off they came. But the nice green plinth with lining was integral so needed to be sure Coney Hall plates I got from Fox to rename her came with the plinths.

is this the same on the Manors please? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 27/01/2022 at 08:14, Amaziii said:

I saw in a previous comment that Accurascale plans to cover all the Big Four regions in time. Does Accurascale also have plans to make pre-grouping locos? 

Cheers! ;D 

Does @McC have special privilages here,  like being able to vote 3 times?

773471467_mcc1.JPG.8f32453a9d137453ad21843eea6d0191.JPG

1842831212_mcc2.JPG.2ae2d718cbc828bc2cd6efaf3decd9c1.JPG

If not, then why not? I think all of Accurascale should.