Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2022 at 11:00, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Apparently GWR locomotives are the biggest talking point this week (not sure where that thunderbolt came from??) so time to wheel out further decoration samples of our lovely 78xx Manors in GWR liveries!

Please note that these are from the same pre-production batch of the previously previewed decorated samples we previewed before Christmas, so the improvements we intend to make before production are not implemented on these samples.

First up is 7818 'G...G...G...Granville Manor'

Accurascale-Manor-7818-06.jpg.b09712cd3c8092b6a1e348dfa9d688f9.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7818-07.jpg.d03ef9d72a3b2b42d9c8847e14c86fbb.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7818-08.jpg.6d77b71a1356be7927f5beed7e9aa8b0.jpg

Next up is 7819 'Hinton Manor', which unfortunately took a bit of a bump and has a crooked cab (butterfingers along the way!) Still, well worth sharing with you all!

Accurascale-Manor-7819-06.jpg.d9197475769f48d3804cb461f1e1a679.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7819-01.jpg.57b163bc10a8fd1aff5ec2c18f74c00e.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7819-04.jpg.cbf6da79fc79ad01d2748d3ec261f50d.jpg

Check out more pics of each on our website: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/gwr-7800-manor-class

Cheers!

Fran 

I am VERY old and that is the best looking and well proportioned version of a Manor by a very long way.

Thank you.

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

That's interesting. What do you not like about the plating? Do people prefer what we have at the moment?

Plating does not look right.  The 'copper' cap on my Bachmann 94XX pannier is the business.

A few comments on what would appear to be a wonderful model.

1. Your listing of amendments on the release of these latest pictures failed to mention that the painting of the fire-iron tunnel should be green. This was pointed out by others during the earlier discussion at Christmas.

2. The G crest W on the tender and lining of 7818 is questionable. HMRS's 'Great Western Way' p39 specifically states  "Only Kings, Counties, Castles, Stars ,Saints and Halls (not Manors or Granges in GWR days) were lined after 1922". Some doubt might be cast on this as GWRJ Vol 7 refers to "only named engines being lined". Of course it could be a case of swapping tenders with a withdrawn Star or Saint. There is a least one photo of a fully lined 3,500 gallon tender.

3. As I pointed out at Christmas I feel the BR lining to be too heavy and bright. GW and BR lining was 1/8" orange 1/2" green. 1" black, 1/2" green. 1/8" orange. (GWW p25 & 68The only difference between GW and BR being the change from Middle Chrome Green to Brunswick.

I do however look forward to receiving those that I ordered so many months ago

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Just decided I must have Earlstoke when it arrives; reserved. Thank you.

P

County of Worcestershire, Late Crest please. Pre order finger ready and itching to go

Edited by MikeParkin65
quoted wrong post - Mallards other post re a late crest County obviously my intended
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Devonauto said:

1. Your listing of amendments on the release of these latest pictures failed to mention that the painting of the fire-iron tunnel should be green. This was pointed out by others during the earlier discussion at Christmas.

2. The G crest W on the tender and lining of 7818 is questionable. HMRS's 'Great Western Way' p39 specifically states  "Only Kings, Counties, Castles, Stars ,Saints and Halls (not Manors or Granges in GWR days) were lined after 1922". Some doubt might be cast on this as GWRJ Vol 7 refers to "only named engines being lined". Of course it could be a case of swapping tenders with a withdrawn Star or Saint. There is a least one photo of a fully lined 3,500 gallon tender.

3. As I pointed out at Christmas I feel the BR lining to be too heavy and bright. GW and BR lining was 1/8" orange 1/2" green. 1" black, 1/2" green. 1/8" orange. (GWW p25 & 68The only difference between GW and BR being the change from Middle Chrome Green to Brunswick.

Hi @Devonauto,

Many thanks for your comments.

1. As per our comment before Christmas this will be corrected on the production variants. As outlined yesterday all these decorated samples were doe together, so these do not have the amendments we are making to the production models. I forgot to add them to the list, but you can rest assured that this will be done.

2. We're slightly confused by this observation as 7818 isn't lined. There is however a picture of it in the Pen & Sword book on the Manors that shows it at Southampton Central circa 1948 (credited to the Great Western Trust) and it clearly has a tender with G-crest-W.

3. We agree that the lining should be toned down a little. It is the correct colour, but as it is impossible to print a scale 1/8" in OO (as this would be 0.04mm) the slightly overscale thickness of the line has the effect of making it appear much brighter than in real life. This is why we do deco samples after all. Observations on this had been noted previously. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

56 minutes ago, Devonauto said:

For boiler bands in the BR(W) period, the green gaps between the orange and the black were increased to 5/8".

• Informative/Useful 2

7807-g-coat-w-tender-crop.jpg.b4ef54fdb261eb6ff34496eb8e602d3d.jpg

Tender swapping was regular and normal on the GWR, and in the case of the Manors, the fun was compounded by an inability to decide whether they were express passenger or non-express passenger locos.

G crest W on a Churchward tender (with a wide-angle hornplate Collett chassis) behind 7807 at Moat Lane in July 1948.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

3. We agree that the lining should be toned down a little. It is the correct colour, but as it is impossible to print a scale 1/8" in OO (as this would be 0.04mm) the slightly overscale thickness of the line has the effect of making it appear much brighter than in real life. This is why we do deco samples after all. Observations on this had been noted previously. 

13 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

For boiler bands in the BR(W) period, the green gaps between the orange and the black were increased to 5/8".

The actual orange colour printed by your wider line to represent the 1/8" line can in theory be calculated by mixing the orange with the green in proportion of printed line width to actual line width. Same as anti-aliasing in graphics programs. But you'd have to judge whether it looks right by eye, of course.

BTW: The orange chrome colour changed c. 1945.

But I guess you're already on top of all this!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Devonauto said:

See pp 63 Great  Western Pictorial No 3, The Sterndale Collection, Wild Swan Publications, which shows 7818 Granville Manor in 1948 on the MSWJR near Swindon Town attached to a 3,500 gallon tender with G crest W on the tender.  However the two photos below, although undated but seemingly post war, show her running with an 'Intermediate' tender although the lettering is not visible. 

FWIW I have ordered Granville Manor myself mainly because I actually saw her in service - not in 1948 as I'm not that old - but sometime in the mid 1960s - which makes me old enough!  I visited Eastleigh shed one Saturday afternoon and she was sat outside at the front of the shed.  Around the same time I was also lucky enough to see Frilford Manor at my then local station - Winchester City - running with the tender still lettered GWR.

I believe that the lined 3,500 gallon tender with G crest W lettering was specially prepared to go with Lode Star when she was initially preserved.  When last running in BR service I understand Lode star had a Collett 4000 gallon tender.

Gerry

7818 Granville Manor Southampton 9th August 1947-M.jpg

7818 Granville Manor-M (1).jpg

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

7807-g-coat-w-tender-crop.jpg.b4ef54fdb261eb6ff34496eb8e602d3d.jpg

Tender swapping was regular and normal on the GWR, and in the case of the Manors, the fun was compounded by an inability to decide whether they were express passenger or non-express passenger locos.

G crest W on a Churchward tender (with a wide-angle hornplate Collett chassis) behind 7807 at Moat Lane in July 1948.

And it was not alone in having a tender bearing that lettering and crest - including 7818 which was photographed at Southampton with it in c.1948.  hence the Accurascale livery with that loco b number replicates a photo of a real engine!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Black Beauty - More Manors Revealed

Accurascale-Manor-7814-01.jpg.ebe141497207841df6f8b6b00f6480c3.jpg

Hi everyone,

Today, we can show you 7814 'Fringford Manor' and 7824 'Iford Manor' in BR plain black livery, as well as 7810 'Draycott Manor' in BR lined green with small early BR crest.

Once again, these were produced with our first decorated samples before Christmas, so our tweaks we wish to make have not been done so on these samples. We are also thinking of making 7814 and 7824 a bit more black, using a slightly darker shade, but let us know your thoughts on that too!

Check them out below!

Accurascale-Manor-7814-06.jpg.f478ff2650837584e4503958aab61857.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7814-09.jpg.d20a30b075bfbee9a1fb65f224aad79e.jpg

Now onto Iford Manor, but first, note the two different chimneys and smokeboxes between our two plain black Manors, demonstrating the pre and post 1952 redraughting.

Accurascale-Manor-Line-Up-Early-BR-01.jpg.8ac01bcc2034906bbc313481a0155ac2.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7824-05.jpg.f82ca80157b1882f4a325d1a20668c82.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7824-01.jpg.b9b10c152591fb5c67f4898806aeb6a9.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7824-08.jpg.f4f7acd428b463fa1e54a2a5157a1c38.jpg

In the coming weeks we will be showing you our custom DCC sound project, demonstrating the excellent running characteristics and realistic sound, recorded from real Manors that were working hard! Make sure you keep an eye out for that.

In the meantime, order your Manor today via your local stockist or our website. Since we have previewed our recent decorated samples we have seen a surge in pre-orders, and with production slot already confirmed there are only a finite amount we can continue to offer for sale. We would like to extend a big and sincere thank you to everyone who has helped us with this project on here and who has placed an order so far! 

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/gwr-7800-manor-class

Cheers!

Fran 

They look great! I'm really trying hard to resist one. Which shedplate is on Fringford Manor? I'd be looking to model her in 1957/8 condition whilst she was at Newton Abbot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, DRoe96 said:

They look great! I'm really trying hard to resist one. Which shedplate is on Fringford Manor? I'd be looking to model her in 1957/8 condition whilst she was at Newton Abbot.

Hi @DRoe96,

Many thanks. She carries 81D (Reading I believe?) 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DRoe96 said:

A man after my own heart.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DRoe96 said:

I'd be looking to model her in 1957/8 condition whilst she was at Newton Abbot.

Other candidates at Newton then were 7813 Freshford and 7823 Hook Norton.