Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

38 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Other candidates at Newton then were 7813 Freshford and 7823 Hook Norton.

Thanks Rob, I found a picture of 7814 during her time at Newton Abbot. Unfortunately for my wallet she still carried the unlined early black in July 1957. It's therefore conceivable that she ran up towards Norton Fitzwarren & Taunton in this guise.

I guess that's me pretty much sold!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Since we have previewed our recent decorated samples we have seen a surge in pre-orders, and with production slot already confirmed there are only a finite amount we can continue to offer for sale. We would like to extend a big and sincere thank you to everyone who has helped us with this project on here and who has placed an order so far! 

@Accurascale Fran  Fantastic to see that your efforts are being rewarded. I have 7824 on order being as it's a west country engine. I considered buying a second - a BR green example - to renumber (as I would normally do) but you've done so much work to make all the differences 'spot on' it seemed like a backward step.

Hopefully there will be a second run, (is the Pope Catholic? :) ) so a plea from me. Pretty please would you consider a St Blazey, Truro or Penzance engine in BR green? I'm sure @St Enodoc would welcome a St Blazey engine too!

Sorry to be cheeky but, don't ask, don't get!

In the meantime I'm deciding which Siphons to order and dreaming of that County 4-6-0!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2022 at 09:41, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Eddie the dog,

That's interesting. What do you not like about the plating? Do people prefer what we have at the moment?

Cheers!

Fran 

Personally I prefer the plated ones, more like polished brass than paint. It's easily toned down with weathering or if people prefer the brass to look like paint, they can do that themselves and  paint them, where-as it's not really feasible to electroplate it. Real polished brass would of course be best but we need to think about practicality and cost here.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

For a metal-bodied loco, I think the price on these is very reasonable. In 1978 the RRP of the metal Wrenn Castle class was £24.95 which is £147 according to the Bank of England inflation calculator.

I have one, it has nowhere near the detail or parts count of the Accurascale. Charming but crude based on the 1959 Dublo.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Keeping Up Our Good Manors!

Accurascale-Manor-7810-01.jpg.8ccab4eb774c047fe6eecb60289a2404.jpg

The Manors really have some wonderful livery variations, and today's reveal is in fully lined BR green with early BR crest as 7810 'Draycott Manor'.

Once again there are areas for improvement which will be implemented in the production models, but it's a flavour of things to come.

Accurascale-Manor-7810-01.jpg.8ccab4eb774c047fe6eecb60289a2404.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7810-06.jpg.20fbb0dcd93201a275f5ce8d530012f8.jpg

Accurascale-Manor-7810-08.jpg.28c6349f11f35ba3922bbcc10a030f76.jpg

We are due further samples of the Manors in the coming weeks, including the beautiful BR Lined Black livery, so keep an eye out for that, as well as video of them in action, including the DCC sound!

In the meantime, secure your pre-order for your Accurascale Manor via your local stockist, or online via our website right here: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/gwr-7800-manor-class 

They're shifting fast!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

8 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We are due further samples of the Manors in the coming weeks, including the beautiful BR Lined Black livery, so keep an eye out for that..

Can't wait to see that, and any other future loco to come.  I need a another decent Spamcan.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

@Accurascale Fran  Fantastic to see that your efforts are being rewarded. I have 7824 on order being as it's a west country engine. I considered buying a second - a BR green example - to renumber (as I would normally do) but you've done so much work to make all the differences 'spot on' it seemed like a backward step.

Hopefully there will be a second run, (is the Pope Catholic? :) ) so a plea from me. Pretty please would you consider a St Blazey, Truro or Penzance engine in BR green? I'm sure @St Enodoc would welcome a St Blazey engine too!

Sorry to be cheeky but, don't ask, don't get!

In the meantime I'm deciding which Siphons to order and dreaming of that County 4-6-0!

Trevor, replacement plates are VERY easy to apply. If the numbers you require are available of course. Thus you have no excuse not to have  a Green one! (Not employed by Fran by the way, but Fran might notice and I also love Spam.

Phil.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/01/2022 at 09:41, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Eddie the dog,

That's interesting. What do you not like about the plating? Do people prefer what we have at the moment?

Cheers!

Fran 

I'm more a fan of the burnished look than a high polished finish. Even on a freshly shopped locomotive in preservation from 50ft away it takes the shine off somewhat. The Dapol model for example, for me the high polish detracts quite considerably given the disparity between the safety valve bonnet and the copper chimney. It stands out like the proverbial floater in a bucket. The balance you have on these samples, for me at least, is a lot more satisfying. Whether I'm in a minority or not, I like what I'm seeing!

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Trevor, replacement plates are VERY easy to apply. If the numbers you require are available of course. Thus you have no excuse not to have  a Green one! (Not employed by Fran by the way, but Fran might notice and I also love Spam.

Phil.

Phil, yes of course. I've changed identities etc on most of my engines to suit those which ran in Cornwall.

My point was that with the research that has gone into this model to get the details correct for each individual engine and tender, it would be a backward step to randomly change an identity. For instance, 7812 was a Cornish engine up to 1960 but as depicted Accurascale's version - understandably - is as it appeared later on the Cambrian lines. The main difference being the tender which in Cornwall was the round head riveted type and as depicted it's flush riveted, the loco was also unlined (at least the tender was as it had the larger emblem...).

Of course I could do research myself (and this can be fun) but that requires resources and time - time more profitably spent building the layout and the items I cannot get RTR.

In the meantime my wallet is content to wait for the second batch. If 'my' engine doesn't come then I'll pick the nearest. 

Having said all that I'm looking at 7810 and being tempted..!!! :) :) 

Edited by TrevorP1
To add the last sentence!
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Late crest, in 1959 - I think the shedplate might be 85A (Worcester) or 85B (Gloucester)

7810-1959-small.jpg.cf435694a63a096a1e9025682094502f.jpg

Moved from Gloucester to Oswestry in June 1959 - probably after shopping I would think as that is definitely not an Oswestry shedplate and the loco is clearly ex-works at Swindon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

Phil, yes of course. I've changed identities etc on most of my engines to suit those which ran in Cornwall.

My point was that with the research that has gone into this model to get the details correct for each individual engine and tender, it would be a backward step to randomly change an identity. For instance, 7812 was a Cornish engine up to 1960 but as depicted Accurascale's version - understandably - is as it appeared later on the Cambrian lines. The main difference being the tender which in Cornwall was the round head riveted type and as depicted it's flush riveted, the loco was also unlined (at least the tender was as it had the larger emblem...).

Of course I could do research myself (and this can be fun) but that requires resources and time - time more profitably spent building the layout and the items I cannot get RTR.

In the meantime my wallet is content to wait for the second batch. If 'my' engine doesn't come then I'll pick the nearest. 

Having said all that I'm looking at 7810 and being tempted..!!! :) :) 

For what it's worth I've just looked again at the clearest photo I have of 7812 in Cornwall, on shed at St Blazey.

Orange black orange lining on the cab side can just be made out under the muck. The tender has narrow horncheeks (I think) and a large emblem so is presumably unlined but what colour it is under the muck is anyones guess - black?

Great fun this hobby of ours!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 57xx said:

Personally I prefer the plated ones, more like polished brass than paint. It's easily toned down with weathering or if people prefer the brass to look like paint, they can do that themselves and  paint them, where-as it's not really feasible to electroplate it. Real polished brass would of course be best but we need to think about practicality and cost here.

I personally prefer a well painted representation to a plated. 2 reasons:- Firstly if the brass is shiny then the mind expects the paint to be similarly shiny. We can see what a beautiful but subdued lustra and depth the painted surfaces of the model have - I think the current painted brass safety valve cover harmonizes and compliments this. Secondly most of these models will sit with other GWR models in many scenarios; whilst Accurascale are clearly raising standards I'm not sure this plating isn't 'gilding the lily'.

Either way its not a deal breaker for me but I do prefer the painted version :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Late crest, in 1959 - I think the shedplate might be 85A (Worcester) or 85B (Gloucester)

7810-1959-small.jpg.cf435694a63a096a1e9025682094502f.jpg

If I'm not mistaken doesn't she have a different tender here than that of the Accurascale model??? Wide horn guides representing her pre '59 as per the Accurascale model vs Narrow post '59

Edited by SteamingWales
more tender detail

• RMweb Gold

There is a photo of 7813 at Newton Abbot in 1948, I think I am right in saying that this was the first trial of the class as the assistance engine for the Devon branks prior to them replacing the Bulldogs.

Having chosen 7804 for my Mitchell example based on a photo that I have managed to missplace showing it in Devon in 47, I think this likely as close as I am going to get to finding another suitable candidate to model....  Shame I cant determine if it had G W R or G crest W in 47

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

There is a photo of 7813 at Newton Abbot in 1948, I think I am right in saying that this was the first trial of the class as the assistance engine for the Devon branks prior to them replacing the Bulldogs.

Having chosen 7804 for my Mitchell example 

I was only discussing 7804 with @BenL the other day as I didn't want to model Baydon again as she's spent many years service on ANTB as the renamed Bachmann model. As I've ordered the Accurascale model of 7819 Hinton I'll be using my copy of the Peto book on the class to choose another subject.

• Like 3

I'd be interested in hearing other's opinions on this, but one area that has always stood out for me on models is shiny silver crossheads. On most engines I've worked on the crossheads have usually been painted black, and are often quite grubby after a day's service due to dirt sticking to the oil which naturally ends up on them. Having made this point, I equally dislike the plastic looking thing on Dapol's pictures.

When up close, this part of an engine has so much detail which (to my knowledge) has never been well captured or represented on models. At the same time I don't believe in adding detail for the sake of detail, but a little thought could go a long way in this area.

Either way, these models are certainly looking wonderful and shiny silver crosshead or not I will certainly be purchasing.

Edit: Just seen pictures of cab detail as well, definitely got to be one of the best yet, but for completeness the following stuck out to me, but probably too late to make changes.

The brake handle would never be left pointing straight up, would probably be best in the brakes 'off' position, as even once stopped (to correspond to the 0 readings on both pressure gauge and dual brake gauge) most drivers will put it back into the 'off' position. Personally I think I would model with boiler pressure showing and brake gauge showing brakes off, but this is very subjective. Even more minor would be the shiny mason valve and pipework to steam heat pipe. In preservation there is almost always insulation round the pipe, but I certainly wouldn't want to claim any knowledge of whether this was done 'back in the day'.

Edited by MatthewCarty
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MatthewCarty said:

I'd be interested in hearing other's opinions on this, but one area that has always stood out for me on models is shiny silver crossheads. On most engines I've worked on the crossheads have usually been painted black, and are often quite grubby after a day's service due to dirt sticking to the oil which naturally ends up on them. Having made this point, I equally dislike the plastic looking thing on Dapol's pictures.

When up close, this part of an engine has so much detail which (to my knowledge) has never been well captured or represented on models. At the same time I don't believe in adding detail for the sake of detail, but a little thought could go a long way in this area.

Either way, these models are certainly looking wonderful and shiny silver crosshead or not I will certainly be purchasing.

Edit: Just seen pictures of cab detail as well, definitely got to be one of the best yet, but for completeness the following stuck out to me, but probably too late to make changes.

The brake handle would never be left pointing straight up, would probably be best in the brakes 'off' position, as even once stopped (to correspond to the 0 readings on both pressure gauge and dual brake gauge) most drivers will put it back into the 'off' position. Personally I think I would model with boiler pressure showing and brake gauge showing brakes off, but this is very subjective. Even more minor would be the shiny mason valve and pipework to steam heat pipe. In preservation there is almost always insulation round the pipe, but I certainly wouldn't want to claim any knowledge of whether this was done 'back in the day'.

There will always be people that want locos in pristine condition like they have just come out the works. It’s easy to take a weathering brush to the cab. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MatthewCarty said:

I long ago lost count of the number of Western engines I saw not only in traffic but in works and ex-wrks and i can't recall ever seeing one with painted outside crossheads - they were bare metal like the rest of the outside motion but they dirtoed ina different way from the rewst of the outside motion.  There might possibly have been instances where the vacuum pump drive bracket was painted black but i can't recall ever seeing on th like that.

As ever a photo is worth umpteen thousand words so here are two examples of my own photos from 1963 and if either of those crossheads is painted black I should really have used another camera or different film.  And to show that I'm not biased the first one is a 'Grange' and the second one is 7808 - apart from oil  splashes and a difference in the amount of dirt the crosshead is bare metal, not painted black.  Even more obvious on spme colour photos from the steam age.

927577294_6825HYrd.jpg.bbaa6f1834c39faa4b7e81d5eb3965fb.jpg

1939971404_7808HYrd.jpg.362dfe51a28812122d4c1f1b399985b3.jpg

• Like 5