Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

The tender electrical connection looks interesting. How does it flex on curves? Can't wait to get mine - I shall be singing "Happy Birthday" to my pre-order on St Valentine's Day! :D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, JST said:

The tender electrical connection looks interesting. How does it flex on curves? Can't wait to get mine - I shall be singing "Happy Birthday" to my pre-order on St Valentine's Day! :D

Hi @JST,

Many thanks. The tender has a kinematic action which allows the electrical connection sufficient play on curves. We will have video of them in action in the coming weeks including previewing the sound which will show them in action. 

Cheers!

Fran  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Nice. More Manor to drool over and I note on the website the top banner shows more samples are in house!

One quick question. I note the above samples have full cylinders but 7812 and 7808 have the cut outs. I'm guessing this is just a case of the factory using up bits to pull the samples together and the finished version will have full cylinders with no cut out whatsoever?

Anyway, can't wait for these to be delivered!!!

4 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

I'll just leave this thought here - it would be great to have some GWR coaches of the same quality to run with the Manor!

Gerry

Absolutely, and a Hawksworth County to help over the Devon banks! 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

I'll just leave this thought here - it would be great to have some GWR coaches of the same quality to run with the Manor!

Gerry

This has gladdened my heart this evening after all of yesterday's furore over H's announcement. One of the country's supreme GWR modeller's wish-listing for some rtr coaching stock. Nice one Gerry. :dance_mini:

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @No Decorum,

These samples are the first time we've had the opportunity to see the painted models and we're not happy with the appearance of the chimney capping or the safety valve cover. We plan on getting some plated parts as soon as possible.

Hi @SteamingWales,

We're providing both with the model. For static display and more gentle layout curves you can use the full cylinder front, but for R2 you need to use the versions with the cutouts. They are push in and easy to swap over - full version will be provided factory installed. The other option was to tinker with placement of the cylinders or pony truck position and we ruled that out.

Hi @Miss Prism,

Below is our CAD overlaid on the original GWR works drawing provided by the GWS. As chimneys are very rarely, if ever, viewed straight on they can be very difficult to judge by eye. The works drawing was used as the bible in this area for obvious reasons.

Manor-original-chimney-comparison.jpg.c1fa84b2d14cd3fa25bd463c16926990.jpg

Cheers!

Fran 

Plated! Excellent. Many thanks, Fran.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

and we're not happy with the appearance of the chimney capping or the safety valve cover. We plan on getting some plated parts as soon as possible.

Oh. I thought they looked very realistic. (I hate that shiny electroplate stuff.)

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

As chimneys are very rarely, if ever, viewed straight on they can be very difficult to judge by eye.

That's very true, and thanks for your drawing. I've spent a little while re-educating myself comparing the GWR and BR chimneys:

Manor-chimney-ga-comparison.jpg.59a634fdadbe3a6fc1ba362b869bc09e.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Gerry

Absolutely. The Collett sunshine coaches are desperate for a retool and also need a wider range of diagrams producing. A TK, CK, BTK, BCK, and BG as a minimum please! 

CoY 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Absolutely. The Collett sunshine coaches are desperate for a retool and also need a wider range of diagrams producing. A TK, CK, BTK, BCK, and BG as a minimum please! 

CoY 

With a wealth of underframe detail like to the standard set by the Accurascale siphon and we would be very happy .

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Really not a fan of this fad for plated safety valve covers and chimney caps and would much rather see actual metal parts.

Hi @Eddie the dog,

That's interesting. What do you not like about the plating? Do people prefer what we have at the moment?

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, BenL said:

..... and a Hawksworth County to help over the Devon banks! 

Did someone say Hawksworth County... :D

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure exactly what plating means but if it's the ultra-shiny surface as seen on, for instance the safety valve bonnets of the recent Dapol large prairies, then it's too shiny, too perfect. It looks like it should be on a Japanese robot but at least it can be dulled down whereas trying to make a dull surface shiny is more difficult. That's just my opinion. (I suspect that producing a true-to-scale shiny brass effect might be difficult to achieve.)

P.S. If considering more GWR rolling stock, please push the timeline back into the classic grouping era. The shabby post war and BR decline eras don't cut it for all of us!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Eddie the dog,

That's interesting. What do you not like about the plating? Do people prefer what we have at the moment?

Cheers!

Fran 

Three different views. It’s enough to drive you to drink! For what it’s worth, I do like metal parts (nothing but metal looks like metal and sparkly paint doesn’t) but plating is perfectly acceptable. Once you have the polished metal appearance right, then it’s possible to weather it to taste. If it isn’t like polished metal, then all weathering can do is try to disguise it.

Anyhow, I like things to look shiny and new but not paintwork shining like a mirror. It may not be realistic but it is all an imaginary world anyhow. The paintwork on the Manor looks just the job to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

Not sure exactly what plating means but if it's the ultra-shiny surface as seen on, for instance the safety valve bonnets of the recent Dapol large prairies, then it's too shiny, too perfect. It looks like it should be on a Japanese robot but at least it can be dulled down whereas trying to make a dull surface shiny is more difficult. That's just my opinion. (I suspect that producing a true-to-scale shiny brass effect might be difficult to achieve.)

P.S. If considering more GWR rolling stock, please push the timeline back into the classic grouping era. The shabby post war and BR decline eras don't cut it for all of us!

You beat me to the draw!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Eddie the dog,

Cheers!

Fran 

I have to agree that I prefer the existing representation of the safety valve cover to the plated version that Dapol have done. Think its down to metal looking like metal but plastic needing very careful finishing to make it look like metal.

Painted 'brass' on GWR locos harmonises better with the painted boiler sheets to my eyes than Quality Street Toffee  rapper approach :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want a challenge try a 14xx Class. There have been some attempts at it but to my knowledge nobody has produced a reliable good runner. DJM came closest, but a RTR model with DCC sound, firebox flicker, stay alive etc. would be the holy grail for me. Bon chance!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3