Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold

I’m sure they will look absolutely spiffing at normal and even closer viewing distances.  I think this community has redefined delayed gratification: maybe our expectations have become a little unrealistic. I’m sure the models won’t be.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

The pictures really don’t do them justice. Mine seem to have an artificial shine which I can’t see with my eyes. Probably something my phone has added in post processing.  Take in to account on one of the models you can make out the guys thumb. That’s pretty tiny. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Pteremy said:

So I have to be honest - i don't think that the crews have worked. Too 'furry' and too translucent. I would rather have paid twice as much for something that really worked. Please don't stop innovating - but do please admit that this are not quite right.

Paint them again!

P

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, KymN said:

One of my crew is short of a leg.  He shall be known as 'Ahab', but where do I stow his whale?

If he has lost one, do pop us an email and we'd be delighted to send you new ones!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KymN said:

One of my crew is short of a leg.  He shall be known as 'Ahab', but where do I stow his whale?

I think he’s been to one of the two pubs at Little Muddle and become legless.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Then there's the tale of Bumper Harris who rode the first escalator at a tube station with his wooden leg to encourage use of the new contraption.🙂

(Unfortunately there is no hard evidence that this ever happened.....☹️)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

He could still work on the railway, but you're looking for the wrong kind of animal as his assistant ...

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/559031/signalman-jack-baboon-worked-railroad-south-africa

When we lived in Hove, it was part of the area known as Aldrington. (There is still a halt on the Hove to Worthing line). The story went, that many years ago (about 1600 / 1700 I think) the Toll keeper had lost his leg.... He was recorded on the census as 3/4 person😎

Our local pub - The Westbourne - had for many years his picture, complete with peg leg, on the hanging sign outside.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

He could still work on the railway, but you're looking for the wrong kind of animal as his assistant ...

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/559031/signalman-jack-baboon-worked-railroad-south-africa

I  assume that that the unions were not pleased: He worked all day and was paid peanuts.

Edited by Vistisen
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to be firing an ex works mogul Sid is happy to be photographed at normal and close viewing distances! I will be very happy for him and Bert to crew my Manor!

IMG_2999.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It will be going back to the works when an AS Enparts Siphon delivers  a replacement slide bar set from Brassmasters!

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 15/06/2023 at 20:09, McC said:

from normal viewing distances

But lest's not forget that in the age of the unforgiving macro lens of modern digital and phone cameras, there's no such thing as 'normal viewing distances'.

On 15/06/2023 at 20:09, McC said:

Bear in mind the photos don't hugely do them justice, artificially highlighting 'furriness' that isn't there to the eye,

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/crews-and-people - check the reviews on these and earlier versions to get a feel 

Certainly the images on your actual website seem considerably better, crisper. So are these, these, actual photos of the real model figures?

(and btw, I never knew that you could 3-D print stuff in colours now...!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Certainly the images on your actual website seem considerably better, crisper. So are these, these, actual photos of the real model figures?

They look like CAD renderings on  the website

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

Well, the hobby has its rivet counters. Maybe it can also have some bobble counters?

The picture on the Accurascale web site (left) and @Limpley Stoker 's photo (right) aren't what I'd call identical.

image.png.af58ac0a380696b73c25d6e76ac6fe7d.png

If you can do better then go ahead and astound us all

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 16/06/2023 at 07:54, chrisjwarnes said:

Take in to account on one of the models you can make out the guys thumb. That’s pretty tiny.

Accurascale should have commisioned Noch to make the figures,there would be more than tiny thumbs :)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

Well, the hobby has its rivet counters. Maybe it can also have some bobble counters?

The picture on the Accurascale web site (left) and @Limpley Stoker 's photo (right) aren't what I'd call identical.

image.png.af58ac0a380696b73c25d6e76ac6fe7d.png

Lad on the left is before covid. Picture on the right was when he caught covid.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6