Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold

When running my AS one on a test loop, pure DC controller, it needed to be wound up to 2-3 on the controller before it took off. 0-10mph in a fraction of a second. I never got to try it on my normal ECM PWM controller, I would hope would have responded better with that. That is why people like to see the ability to do a slow crawl (well it is why I look for it at least), not to run it like that round the layout at that speed, but so you know that moving off will happen gracefully with no sudden bursts of speed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, 57xx said:

When running my AS one on a test loop, pure DC controller, it needed to be wound up to 2-3 on the controller before it took off. 0-10mph in a fraction of a second. I never got to try it on my normal ECM PWM controller, I would hope would have responded better with that. That is why people like to see the ability to do a slow crawl (well it is why I look for it at least), not to run it like that round the layout at that speed, but so you know that moving off will happen gracefully with no sudden bursts of speed.

That sounds like my AS manors, all my other locos respond better than that at slow speeds. That criticism apart, they are fantastic models.

40 minutes ago, timbo2857 said:

That sounds like my AS manors, all my other locos respond better than that at slow speeds. That criticism apart, they are fantastic models.

When I ran mine, on DCC, on the rolling road and short test track it would crawl along very slowly, better than many other locos. Would DCC make a difference?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, 57xx said:

On 26/08/2023 at 22:29, TimberValleyRailway said:

Anyone else's Torquay bad at crawling under Analogue? (running with Gaugemaster combi)

Mine doesn't like it and just cuts in quite fast. Might be better under DCC but havent fitted it yet!

Cheers

On 27/08/2023 at 10:19, melmerby said:

My first Manor 7801 was a dream on DC, it would run at a steady crawl forwards or backwards (with between 2.5v and 3.0v pure DC from bench power supply)

The second one 7808 did not, it required nearly 4.0v to start and had a noticable tight spot, however after some prolonged running in has improved drastically.

Both now fitted with DCC decoders and perform beautifully.

I find it unusual for out of the box models to run perfectly until they have run in.

My Dapol GWR Mogul was worse than the second Manor and has taken quite a bit more running before settling down to become a smooth performer.

see above

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Haverail said:

When I ran mine, on DCC, on the rolling road and short test track it would crawl along very slowly, better than many other locos. Would DCC make a difference?

It shouldn’t, but obviously with some of these models it does make a difference.

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Decoder arrived today.  The crew booked on several months ago to relieve the crew of Draycott Manor and are still sitting in the crew room playing cards waiting for it to turn up.

They will have to wait to the end of the month, according to the latest update.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, timbo2857 said:

They will have to wait to the end of the month, according to the latest update.

Hopefully soon as. We’re waiting for the typhoon flooding to recede and restore factory access so we can truck the pallets to the airport. As always we’ll keep you posted. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/09/2023 at 19:03, 57xx said:

Here's some I took the other week. Side on view with camera staying on the tripod and locos carefully lined up to marks on the track to ensure no differences in perspective. Also a top-down view.

Manors1.png

Manors2.png

I am probably alone in this but the one thing for me that I prefer on the Dapol manor is the safety valve cover, the finish and the subtlety of its curve/shape.

The Accurscale s/v cover looks to me too flat in profile.

For me there is a mismatch between best chimney and best safety valve cover on each model, the opposite in each case.

I think it demonstrates how good the overall shape and form of the Accurascale manor is that I am nit picking.

IMG_1693.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

Edited by rprodgers
Correction
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, 57xx said:

Here's some I took the other week. Side on view with camera staying on the tripod and locos carefully lined up to marks on the track to ensure no differences in perspective. Also a top-down view.

Manors1.png

Manors2.png

I don't have the models to hand so I ran a dial caliper over the driving wheels on my monitor and the AS are slightly larger mainly due to tyre depth.. The human brain seems quite good at judging comparative circle sizes. 

Edited by maico

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, AndrewB7585 said:

That’s a very realistic firebox glow. The 3D printed figures are in a different position to the set I’ve got….

Underneath that water crane, on the base is my name, alongside several others who etched into it the night it was put in place back c1987, using a small wagon mounted crane and rigging one dark tuesday night.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Manors1.png

Manors2.png

I agree that these are good pictures and that the Dapol one doesn't compare quite so unfavourably.

There does seem to be a difference in the brake shoes, on both the tender and the loco, though?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just 'thinking aloud', as it were. There is inevitably going to be a fair bit of comparison between two recent models of the same prototype and this is the case here.

But this thread is really for the Accurascale product, so would it be feasible or popular, I wonder, if there was a separate section on the forum where such comparisons could be made?

(eg. Bachmann and Accurascale Class 37, Bachmann and SLW Class 24, Bachmann, Heljan and SLW Class 25 etc.).

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, chrisjwarnes said:

Hi everyone. I’m loving 7812. Absolutely amazing. The only slight issue I have is the sound being very quiet in comparison to all my other sound fitted locos. Is there a way to up the volume?

You can increase the master volume by programming CV63 to a larger value up to 192. The CVs for the individual sounds are on the included card. Also running it with heavy load turned on will increase the chuff volume.

Edited by Cofga
  • Thanks 1

Manors1.png

Manors2.png

Balance weights on the driving wheels look a lot better on the A/S one

or did the differ on the prototype.

+ the area above the front pony wheel, looks better on the A/S one

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Just 'thinking aloud', as it were. There is inevitably going to be a fair bit of comparison between two recent models of the same prototype and this is the case here.

But this thread is really for the Accurascale product, so would it be feasible or popular, I wonder, if there was a separate section on the forum where such comparisons could be made?

(eg. Bachmann and Accurascale Class 37, Bachmann and SLW Class 24, Bachmann, Heljan and SLW Class 25 etc.).

Agreed, somewhere like A Nod To Brent could be more neutral ground for comparisons. I have deliberately refrained from  comparison comments with this being the manu's thread , limiting any comments to the AS model and posted the pics only due to the request.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Cofga said:

You can increase the master volume by programming CV63 to a larger value up to 192. The CVs for the individual sounds are on the included card. Also running it with heavy load turned on will increase the chuff volume.

It's already set to 192 in the sound project as supplied...

The basic problem is that the factory-fitted speakers just can't move enough air. Some of us have installed bigger speakers.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

It's already set to 192 in the sound project as supplied...

The basic problem is that the factory-fitted speakers just can't move enough air. Some of us have installed bigger speakers.

Phil did you replace both speakers or just the one in the tender ?  If so which speakers did you use ?

Thanks

Clive  

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Phil did you replace both speakers or just the one in the tender ?  If so which speakers did you use ?

Thanks

Clive  

I took drastic action to get a big speaker in the tender:

I replaced just the one in the tender, leaving the one in the smokebox wired in parallel with the new one. I have heard that it's possible to fit a bigger speaker in the smokebox too so I might try that one day.

There might be space in the tender to retain the existing PCB and decoder while fitting a bigger speaker if the top of the tank is cut away like I did.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Cofga said:

And I turn up the volume on my hearing aid which helps tremendously!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2