Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

I notice when it is running and chuffing away that if I decrease it a speed step the chuffing sound stops. I have to press F1 to get it back.

That's just the normal driving simulation, isn't it?

When you close the regulator the loco "coasts" or "drifts" and you should be able to hear the underlying clunking and the vacuum pump sounds. Then just lift the regulator and she'll start chuffing again - I hope.

• Agree 5

14 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

That's just the normal driving simulation, isn't it?

When you close the regulator the loco "coasts" or "drifts" and you should be able to hear the underlying clunking and the vacuum pump sounds. Then just lift the regulator and she'll start chuffing again - I hope.

Would it coast forever?

None of my other sound locos do it, when they reach the slower speed setting the exhaust beats pick up again.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Free At Last said:

Would it coast forever?

None of my other sound locos do it, when they reach the slower speed setting the exhaust beats pick up again.

This project coasts forever.

The Locoman King project works in the same way (at least, mine does).

Personally I quite like it but the traditional pick up of the chuff at the lower speed also makes sense.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2023 at 14:30, cctransuk said:

I shan't bother, thanks.

I strongly suspect that a little lubrication, and some more running-in, will mitigate the sound - but I am more than happy with the model as it is.

I mentioned the whine only because a couple of other posts mentioned it - but it is not a significant problem for me.

Congratulations on an excellent model!

John Isherwood.

More work on 7810 today.

Oiled the mechanism - sparingly; fitted Hornby Dublo / Peco Simplex couplings; fitted the prototypical coupling hooks - without the screw links; fitted the fire-iron rack; fitted the coal board; fitted the etched number and nameplates; coaled the tender.

Runs somewhat quieter now, and I am sure that this will improve further with more running.

Still VERY happy with this model.

CJI.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2023 at 19:19, exmoordave said:

I receieved my "Erlestoke Manor" several days ago, but have mixed feelings I'm afraid. 

Visually it is a lovely loco and am very impressed with it. Running-wise however, not so much.

Although once it's running it is smooth enough, the starting/stopping is not so good. For the price paid I expect a slow smooth start and not a sudden movement into life, which is something I am particularly attuned to. I have run it on my rolling road for 30/40 minutes each way, but it shows no sign of improvement.

I have had much better "out of the box" running from both Hornby & Bachmann locos, but my expectations from Accurascale were certainly as high as my other recent purchases from both of those companies. Does anyone have any similar experiences with these Manors or indeed the Dapol examples? I do not think it is too much to ask that the running is of the highest quality, considering the price asked.

Hi Dave - I tried my Manor (DC only) on non-feedback (Gaugemaster), partial-feedback (AMR slow speed hand-held) and full feedback (Gaugemaster).

I could not get smooth running at slow speeds on any of my controllers.

I ran the model in for more than 8 hours on a circuit of track, stopping to turn the loco round periodically and also changing the direction. This made no difference to the poor running qualities.

In the end, I had to return it to the retailer. I will not be getting another.

I still have high hopes for future Accurascale steam releases, however.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi Dave - I tried my Manor (DC only) on non-feedback (Gaugemaster), partial-feedback (AMR slow speed hand-held) and full feedback (Gaugemaster).

I ran the model in for more than 8 hours on a circuit of track, stopping to turn the loco round periodically and also changing the direction. This made no difference to the poor running qualities.

My controllers are DIY lash-ups, based on super-cheap Aliexpress variable voltage regulators - and running of 7810 at all speeds is good.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

If it doesn’t run right return for replacement. Unless you’re happy to miss out. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Free At Last said:

Would it coast forever?

In real life trains have very low rolling resistance and will coast a very long way. On one of the routes I drive I cut off power at 80mph for a station that’s four miles away and even then I’ve used quite a bit of braking to slow it down. Power is basically only used to get up to speed or climb hills. After that there’s a lot of coasting

Edited by AndrewB7585
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
On 27/10/2023 at 10:13, St Enodoc said:

Seriously?

Yes.

On 27/10/2023 at 10:34, Nick C said:

That doesn't excuse them from the Consumer Rights Act. 

Sorry missed these, no but it's a right palava, now if it was £500.... .  I think perhaps as mine was a replacement for one they tested that was DOA, and the fact they would have to refund as they had no more stock is the reason. 

Shame as I use them a bit if my nearest M R shop does not have stock of any particular item (and that's a 55ml round trip) and they don't do Accu locos.

Edited by IOW O2
correction

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, PeterH said:

Finally received my two Manors from Accurascale…and they don’t fit through my platforms 🤣 bit of track relaying required!

That’s interesting- I haven’t run mine through my Limpley Stoke platforms - but I’m expecting a rebuild for when the Kernow Steam Railmotor arrives - the Dean bogie suspension looks as though it will need even more clearance than the Manor cylinders.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

A Manor should be 8'11" over cylinders - call it a round 36mm in 4mm scale.

To be horribly precise it is 8ft 11 & 1/8th" over the cladding according to the Swindon drawing.  Interesting to note that it is right on the maximum permissible width at that height above rail level.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Mick38 said:

Talk about delayed gratification...

Delayed gratification is the resistance to the temptation of an immediate pleasure in the hope of obtaining a valuable and long-lasting reward in the long-term. In other words, delayed gratification describes the process that the subject undergoes when the subject resists the temptation of an immediate reward in preference for a later reward that is more favourable. Generally, delayed gratification is associated with resisting a smaller but more immediate reward in order to receive a larger or more enduring reward later.

I'd sooner we talk about the Manor.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

Delayed gratification is the resistance to the temptation of an immediate pleasure in the hope of obtaining a valuable and long-lasting reward in the long-term. In other words, delayed gratification describes the process that the subject undergoes when the subject resists the temptation of an immediate reward in preference for a later reward that is more favourable. Generally, delayed gratification is associated with resisting a smaller but more immediate reward in order to receive a larger or more enduring reward later.

I'd sooner we talk about the Manor.

Instant gratification of the Manors already delivered and delayed gratification from those yet to come? 😃

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mick38 said:

Good to hear of some Manors actually being delivered. Here's hoping my "Grantham Manor" might arrive before Christmas! Talk about delayed gratification...

Every single retailer order will have left our warehouse by close of business and every direct order by close of business tomorrow. No need to worry :) 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3