Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

Thank you for explaining the issue that I still don't understand. Because I have several H0 scale steam locos from America and Europe (Germany, Austria...), all of which have front and rear lights that work. It may be because the principles of operating locomotives in each country are different.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hminh2005 said:

Thank you for explaining the issue that I still don't understand. Because I have several H0 scale steam locos from America and Europe (Germany, Austria...), all of which have front and rear lights that work. It may be because the principles of operating locomotives in each country are different.

A fundamental difference is that away from the UK trains were fitted with headlamps to provide illumination - although whether braking was good enough to stop the train if an obstruction was spotted is a moot point! 

As has been mentioned back up the thread lamps on the front on a loco in the UK never fulfilled that purpose in steam days …. They were merely there to indicate the class of the train being hauled to assist signalmen and other operating staff in identifying the train.

This means that to be credible headlamp positions on UK steam outline models cannot be fixed if realistic operation is to be modelled.

The same with tail lamps…. If a locomotive is hauling a train the lamp would be on the last vehicle of the train not on the locomotive so the same issue applies. The function of a tail lamp is to designate that the train is complete ….. no lamp, the train must have split! 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

As always, there were exceptions to the rule 😉

BigBerthaMRcondition2.jpg.29559aeeebb135c83e25d9baa4974440.jpg

I'll never pass up an opportunity to bring Bertha into a conversation 😄

But of course! Bromsgrove on a dark December night needs all the illumination it can get…. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

But it still has an oil lamp.. in the slow passenger position, rather oddly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hminh2005 said:

I apologise sincerely for mistaking for your earlier enquiry for humour .

Please do not be put off generally and in particular RMweb is an excellent source .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

As that is an image from the Midland Railway era, it is possible - I don't know - that a single lamp in front of the chimney MAY have been a legitimate code for that duty.

Headlamp codes did vary over time, and from railway to railway. What was printed in the diagram in the front of your Ian Allan spotting book was the then-current 'standard' code - things had not always been thus; (..... and the ex-S&DJR had an entirely different coding system right up until its closure)!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Quite interesting and I hadn't noticed before that Bertha's main lamp has a fairly substantial cant downwards - I thought it was more parallel to the rails than that.

Al.

It was intended to illuminate the rear end of the train to which it was buffering-up.

After all, as a banker, it had little need to illuminate the road ahead!

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh joy ! MRJ 301 arrived today and I ripped it open in an ecstasy of fumbling ! At last - How to carry out the conversion to EM - oh frabulous day ! Not so fast - there is a trailer with the main article to follow . Patience is a virtue .

• Friendly/supportive 1

I am neither a railway modeller nor particularly a railway enthusiast, although I will go a long way to see a steam locomotive in the flesh.

But when I stumbled upon a YouTube video of an Accurascale Manor I simply had to have one.  It was the sheer die cast quality - none of your plastic tat - the detail, the beauty of the paint schemes.

So now I am the very pleased owner of ‘Fringford Manor’, which will live on my desk on a piece of Hornby-Dublo three-rail track, and towing a Hornby-Dublo tinplate Western Region coach, both of which came my way by chance.  It will probably never run since I am useless at making anything, let alone a model railway.

I know that will seem ridiculous to all you purists, but hey, it works for me!

And I’m sure Fran of Accurascale will be please to have made another well-deserved sale!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 minutes ago, carbolicus said:

I am neither a railway modeller nor particularly a railway enthusiast, although I will go a long way to see a steam locomotive in the flesh.

But when I stumbled upon a YouTube video of an Accurascale Manor I simply had to have one.  It was the sheer die cast quality - none of your plastic tat - the detail, the beauty of the paint schemes.

So now I am the very pleased owner of ‘Fringford Manor’, which will live on my desk on a piece of Hornby-Dublo three-rail track, and towing a Hornby-Dublo tinplate Western Region coach, both of which came my way by chance.  It will probably never run since I am useless at making anything, let alone a model railway.

I know that will seem ridiculous to all you purists, but hey, it works for me!

And I’m sure Fran of Accurascale will be please to have made another well-deserved sale!

Nothing wrong with your approach! Didn’t Brunel say something to the effect that his Broad Gauge engines were so elegant that they would grace the finest dining room ?

I bought two Accurascale Manors - one is in a glass display case … purely for display but I get pleasure from looking at it . The other is working engine .

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I imagine Mary Brunel had something to say about bringing that thing into her front room!

I don't suppose the neighbours would have been overly impressed either.

Adrian

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

.... especially if it was used to brew the after-dinner coffee!

CJI.

I can't understand why people have coffee so late in the evening, not if they want a good night's sleep, anyway...!

5 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

.... especially if it was used to brew the after-dinner coffee!

CJI.

Didn’t he criticise the coffee at Swindon’s  contractor’s catering place ? Along the lines “ Didn’t think you served coffee, just burnt corn “ 

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

I can't understand why people have coffee so late in the evening, not if they want a good night's sleep, anyway...!

It is well-known that the Brunel family coffee was provided by Swindon Station cafeteria - which was so notoriously bad that no-one drank it.

No disturbed nights in consequence!

CJI.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, B15nac said:

Any news on another batch of these manors? Is it going to happen?

Regards Neil 

Not yet and yes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Can I request the Halls next please. 258 locomotives should give you a very steady income for years to come. And I can only imagine how perfect a Hogwarts Castle done to Accurascale standards would be lol 

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1