Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Just one other "riveting" fact on our Manors....

Manor-rivets.jpg.82496a5288690bb719dbb3f564d02ff1.jpg

As well as counting them, we measured them. This one is from the bufferbeam of Cookham Manor. 38mm wide = 0.5mm, dead scale on our models.

The running plate featured rivets that were 30mm, 0.4mm, which again, is correct on our model. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 5

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Just one other "riveting" fact on our Manors....

Manor-rivets.jpg.82496a5288690bb719dbb3f564d02ff1.jpg

As well as counting them, we measured them. This one is from the bufferbeam of Cookham Manor. 38mm wide = 0.5mm, dead scale on our models.

The running plate featured rivets that were 30mm, 0.4mm, which again, is correct on our model. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Ah !    But do they have clear resin raindrops on them ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

I was going to say that the removal of the 'tear-drop' rivets on the top row of the running plate is a huge improvement. the ones remaining lower down work very well in terms of their proportions. It all looks very smart. Also (noting the slightly iffy assembly of the livery sample) appreciate the separate fitting of the running plate above the cylinders which allows for the rivets on the bottom of the running plate. A very smart solution to that. The whole thing is like a 3D jigsaw, but a LOT of thought seems to have gone into the tooling setup. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

On my Llanforen layout thread I mentioned why I chose Bradley Manor, well this is why.

788111206_7802(2).jpg.ff003f92fc8ede872655e1bb270233ff.jpg

I don't have clear memories of manors working but I do remember this image quite clearly, possibly because it was away from the main scrap yard. The image is a scan from a photo I took in August 1996.

When I was searching the internet for more pictures I came across one that is almost identical taken by @phil_sutterson 22nd July 1966. Phil's photo does show General Steam Navigation in the background which is only partially visible in mine.

Brian

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, McC said:

It would be still impossible to release from the mould I'm afraid. It's impossible to place any detail on that plane in the moulding process, which is why we're exploring alternatives. The entire footplate, chassis and boiler are die-cast and we've put a lot of effort into the perfect rivets :)

Manor-rivets.jpg

Is it not possible to have the main metal mold with a seperate metal section to mold the buffer face attatched magnetically so it can have a flat surface to leave the mold and remove it?

As far as I am concerned the Accurascale have seriously looked at the issue and if the solution they have is to leave them of then that is fine with me, because there are enough other rivets on the drop footplate. As have been said, a sliver of Archers could be applied if anyone so desired 

Bring it on Fran and Co

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Just to reiterate @McC's post. inverted is also out due to the same issue. And they dont look correct anyway in this application.

Cheers!

Fran 

On the subject of the 21 rivets on the top of the curved footplate, may I make a suggestion?

1349882617_manor1.jpg.0a6630c19edbd11831d231c24bb70ec6.jpg You'd like to be able to do this, but the process won't allow it, otherwise.....

704245500_manor2.jpg.2d4c4ba4d5f2f4192f130bd75675e1d7.jpg ... you get this.

How about clipping the revit like this?

manor3.jpg.2503f8ca7c044a32808bc4bb82f7f957.jpg Not perfect, but possible in the injection mould and would provide a low-relief impression of the revit.

Edited by Damo666
Clarity of the subject (rivets on the top of the curved footplate)

manor4.jpg.562d0d0ed5380e27240292ec26694aca.jpg

Or a half-cut and half-fill would show the complete circle of the revit, albiet this will be overall shallower

It would also provide an accurate location to allow modellers to perfectly align their own revit dots if they wish.

Question: on the Accurascale Manor, how are the locomotive and tender coupled? A simple pin sticking into a hole on a drawbar, or with close-coupling kinematics (as used in some continental HO models, for example, Roco's BR 23 and forthcoming BR 38)? UK tender locomotive models do tend to have ridiculous gaps there in order to get around tight curves.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Question: on the Accurascale Manor, how are the locomotive and tender coupled? A simple pin sticking into a hole on a drawbar, or with close-coupling kinematics (as used in some continental HO models, for example, Roco's BR 23 and forthcoming BR 38)? UK tender locomotive models do tend to have ridiculous gaps there in order to get around tight curves.

Hi @Dogmatrix

It has a kinematic action and is a bar with two settings. 

5 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

One thing - will the parting line along the boiler be addressed before production? 

Hi @Quarryscapes,

As per our update blog, yes we will.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Covkid said:

As far as I am concerned the Accurascale have seriously looked at the issue and if the solution they have is to leave them of then that is fine with me, because there are enough other rivets on the drop footplate.

Last post before break.  For the most part at normal operating distance for me at 17"/108 scale feet they would not visible anyway unless loco is put on its side, used Baccy 94xx above front buffers to see what I could see this morning!  Even looking at Locos at EORly. last week at my local preserved line its similar trying to pick out detail at 100 ft+.  Hey ho.

It would not bother me either if they were not there.  Accura. are trying to make the best models they can and if that means their best is leaving bits off then so be it.  

On the other hand Dapol did manage the rivets on the large prairie.

Have good one all.

Edited by Guest

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, confused said:

Last post before break.  For the most part at normal operating distance for me at 17"/108 scale feet they would not visible anyway unless loco is put on its side, used Baccy 94xx above front buffers to see what I could see this morning!  Even looking at Locos at EORly. last week at my local preserved line its similar trying to pick out detail at 100 ft+.  Hey ho.

It would not bother me either if they were not there.  Accura. are trying to make the best models they can and if that means their best is leaving bits off then so be it.  

On the other hand Dapol did manage the rivets on the large prairie.

Have good one all.

Hi Confused,

As per my post yesterday, we can restore the line of rivets, but as per other RTR GWR locomotives that does have them, there would be little or no rivet detail around the front of the running plate to allow for the mould release. So, we would gain one line at the top of the plate, but lose a huge amount facing upwards along the rest of the running plate. To us, having that area bare looks really odd when looking at the real thing. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

So, we would gain one line at the top of the plate, but lose a huge amount facing upwards along the rest of the running plate. To us, having that area bare looks really odd when looking at the real thing

As per Mcc deleted post  just now looking down you don't see them so I am not bothered they are missing, as before you are trying to make the best models you can and if that means the best is leaving bits off then so be it.  will pickup again next week TTFN.

Edited by Guest

• RMweb Gold
Just now, confused said:

As per macc deleted post  looking down you don't see them so I am not bothered they are missing, as before you are trying to make the best models you can and if that means the best is leaving bits off then so be it.  will pickup again next week TTFN.

Thanks @confused, worth also reiterating that we are looking into a solution for it too as per my post yesterday so we capture everything and it's not a question of leaving bits off to make the best model, but working best with the technology available. 

Have a Merry Christmas and peaceful new year.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Quarryscapes said:

One thing - will the parting line along the boiler be addressed before production? 

Now that is an interesting question and one where modellers can get things a bit awry.  

The mould line is in fact in the wrong place but that is no doubt a consequence of designing for the best method of moulding and I'm sure it will be put right.  To get the mould line where it matches the real engine would I suspect involve a delicacy of tooling which could not be easy to achieve - look at the image below. (And I trust that Accurascale will excuse me for posting this image which is taken from a scan which they had made of 7808 during the development of their model - note that I have considerably enlarged it from the original image)

enlarged.jpg.e49f41934769b15cefc9c9baa9240f2e.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, confused said:

As per Mcc deleted post  just now looking down you don't see them so I am not bothered they are missing, as before you are trying to make the best models you can and if that means the best is leaving bits off then so be it.  will pickup again next week TTFN.

It is my understanding that transfers of rivets - in various sizes and spacings - are available from various of the more 'modeller orientated' model railway purveyors.  If nothing else maybe when we get our 'Manors' we could buy some rivet transfers - which do give the impression of relief from the surface on which they are put - and put them on ourselves?

Sorry to preach such heresy but it could well be a simple answer to an awkwardly sited row of rivets where swindon clearlky didn't give due consideration to the process of producing 4mm scale models.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The recent talk about the colour of the shirt button and here's the recently shopped 4930 Hagley Hall on the SVR looking rather splendid.

267610969_4841375702606760_971016610765557185_n.jpg.10aff9bfa486068a565ba814d95af743.jpg

As always with photos, we don't know how the real colours have been modified by the lighting conditions, the camera, what post-processing that might have been done or whether the viewer's monitor reproduces the colours accurately.

I am using a properly calibrated monitor, which helps a bit, but I don't trust the colours I'm seeing here. They all look very modern and saturated...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Now that is an interesting question and one where modellers can get things a bit awry.  

The mould line is in fact in the wrong place but that is no doubt a consequence of designing for the best method of moulding and I'm sure it will be put right.  To get the mould line where it matches the real engine would I suspect involve a delicacy of tooling which could not be easy to achieve - look at the image below. (And I trust that Accurascale will excuse me for posting this image which is taken from a scan which they had made of 7808 during the development of their model - note that I have considerably enlarged it from the original image)

enlarged.jpg.e49f41934769b15cefc9c9baa9240f2e.jpg

Hi Mike,

It a tricky one. I do wonder if we had put a seam line like that down the boiler would everyone would likely call it hideous and slag off the model?

The mould lines we have will be polished out of the tooling, so despite being in a different place it shouldnt have any bearing on the final, delivered models.

Cheers!

Fran 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The recent talk about the colour of the shirt button and here's the recently shopped 4930 Hagley Hall on the SVR looking rather splendid.

267610969_4841375702606760_971016610765557185_n.jpg.10aff9bfa486068a565ba814d95af743.jpg

Splendid indeed Robin, and as close to prototype as you would expect:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1786.htm

I’m sure Accurascale are already well aware, but just in case, Jenkinson’s ‘Big Four in Colour’ and Haresnape’s GWR livery book are good for colour shots of ‘shirtbuttons’ on locos.

I know there are limitations in terms of colour reproduction of prototype pics but they do give a strong sense as Miss Prism noted above that the shirt button had a similar colouring to the brass on the name and number plates, safety valve bonnet and splasher beading - maybe that was the intention?

Will there also be an attempt to paint the boiler handrails green where they run parallel to the green section of the boiler?

Edited by BenL
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Another livery option Accurascale might want to explore in a future run is the wartime black livery , with plated over cab windows, as seen here on 7805. Thanks here to @BenL

Photo courtesy of Swindon Museum who recently acquired the plates http://www.swindonweb.com/?m=2&s=1326&ss=1505&c=7990

broome_maor_steam_450.jpg.ab20308c20993d5bc13369ea079a37eb.jpg

• Like 8