Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

4 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Another livery option Accurascale might want to explore in a future run is the wartime black livery , with plated over cab windows, as seen here on 7805. Thanks here to @BenL

Photo courtesy of Swindon Museum who recently acquired the plates http://www.swindonweb.com/?m=2&s=1326&ss=1505&c=7990

broome_maor_steam_450.jpg.ab20308c20993d5bc13369ea079a37eb.jpg

Just a couple more shots here to aid the encouragement on this front :)

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/Collett-Locomotives/Collett-460-designs/Collett-Manor-Class-78007829/Manor-Class-Pre-1968/78007811-Built-1938/i-ZwbNj3t/A

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/Collett-Locomotives/Collett-460-designs/Collett-Manor-Class-78007829/Manor-Class-Pre-1968/78007811-Built-1938/i-pBH2G3k/A

also a couple more in the Peto Manor book, which I suspect Accurascale have well-thumbed!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Mike,

It a tricky one. I do wonder if we had put a seam line like that down the boiler would everyone would likely call it hideous and slag off the model?

The mould lines we have will be polished out of the tooling, so despite being in a different place it shouldnt have any bearing on the final, delivered models.

Cheers!

Fran 

Cheers!

Fran 

I'm sure that people would have said exactly that - probably because they don't realise that there is a 'mould line'.(actually a joint of course) that can be noticeable in the cladding sheets on the top of GWR taper boilers.  And it has been criticised on models in the past so no doubt would be again.   And I think it would be very difficult to tool an accurate impression of it without making it look huge so best left alone.

Polishing out the mould lines sounds excellent.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

I'm sure that people would have said exactly that - probably because they don't realise that there is a 'mould line'.(actually a joint of course) that can be noticeable in the cladding sheets on the top of GWR taper boilers.  And it has been criticised on models in the past so no doubt would be again.   And I think it would be very difficult to tool an accurate impression of it without making it look huge so best left alone.

Polishing out the mould lines sounds excellent.

its also worth reinforcing that the manor boiler is fully die-cast, as is the footplate and the chassis. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, murphaph said:

What does it weigh? Must be pretty hefty.

Hi @murphaph,

We were at 401g with the unpainted sample which was lacking some of the DCC elements like speakers, PCBs and of course paint, which does add a couple of grams, so the finished model will be slightly up on that figure.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, McC said:

its also worth reinforcing that the manor boiler is fully die-cast, as is the footplate and the chassis. 

Thats good to know,more Hornby Dublo than Triang,theres still Dublo from the late thirtys working and looking good,quality work is worth it and something you can be proud of,well done,when it cancels out Frans wallet on the scales it will have good traction.........

• Funny 1

I’m always amazed reading peoples concerns over tiny, minor details on models that are hardly visible when running or even in a display cabinet.

I feel this is the problem with better cameras and imagery as people can blow up a model to the size of a real one and analyse every part of it.

I work in injection mouldings myself and to see the detail these model makers like Accurascale can get onto these models is amazing! From a manufacturing point of view to think of the tool needed to machine these tiny rivets and other details in the mould fascinates me. 

I understand people want the best possible model but maybe take a step back and see how far 00 gauge models have come in the last few years. Accurascale have raised the bar across their whole range and I’d imagine this will only continue, which is great for us but not so good for other manufacturers trying to keep up! 
Keep doing what your doing Accurascale, all the headaches will be worth it :D 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 5

11 hours ago, McC said:

Metal definitely adds the to the feel of quality. Also takes a bit more time, die-cast metal needs a bit of hand fettling whereas injection molded plastic comes out of the machine remarkably clean these days.

Here's the HAG factory in Switzerland using the mk1 human hand to finish metal bodies produced by a Bühler AG. die casting machine. Getting rid of a seam line on the Manor should be straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9O_CbkTvEY&ab_channel=RolandHausin

Edited by maico
  • Like 2

Apologies if this is already covered (not going to read 27 pages). How does the 3-pole motor compare with the 5-pole used by Hornby, for smooth start up under load and slow running? Very nice model, sorely tempted to add one to my engine shed. I wonder if the height of the coal in the bunker will allow me to add a layer of real coal?

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Northmoor MPD said:

Maybe take a step back and see how far 00 gauge models have come in the last few years.

More to the point, if you flood every thread with every tiny thing you can find, there is a danger manufacturers just ignore all the feedback.

I genuinely think some people see a collection of individual details but struggle with proportions. It would explain why people get het up about a missing engine cut off switch on a model that doesn't look anything like the original anyway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AyJay said:

Apologies if this is already covered (not going to read 27 pages). How does the 3-pole motor compare with the 5-pole used by Hornby, for smooth start up under load and slow running? Very nice model, sorely tempted to add one to my engine shed. I wonder if the height of the coal in the bunker will allow me to add a layer of real coal?

We will share video in the coming weeks showing the incredible running quality. 

With a high quality motor, flywheels, helical gearing, power pack stay alive as standard and a track weight of nearly 425g we’ve designed the Manor from the ground up to be an incredibly running, sounding and looking machine. We’re confident it will set new standards for steam engines. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Northmoor MPD said:

I’m always amazed reading peoples concerns over tiny, minor details on models that are hardly visible when running or even in a display cabinet.

I feel this is the problem with better cameras and imagery as people can blow up a model to the size of a real one and analyse every part of it.

I work in injection mouldings myself and to see the detail these model makers like Accurascale can get onto these models is amazing! From a manufacturing point of view to think of the tool needed to machine these tiny rivets and other details in the mould fascinates me. 

I understand people want the best possible model but maybe take a step back and see how far 00 gauge models have come in the last few years. Accurascale have raised the bar across their whole range and I’d imagine this will only continue, which is great for us but not so good for other manufacturers trying to keep up! 
Keep doing what your doing Accurascale, all the headaches will be worth it :D 

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

More to the point, if you flood every thread with every tiny thing you can find, there is a danger manufacturers just ignore all the feedback.

I genuinely think some people see a collection of individual details but struggle with proportions. It would explain why people get het up about a missing engine cut off switch on a model that doesn't look anything like the original anyway.

The choices for an individual are to either point something out or keep quiet.

In the end which do you think results in a better model?

When lots of people are commenting it might sound like a rain storm, and we all realise that the manufacturers have to filter the noise, but it must be better overall to have the info, thoughts and comments than for everyone to remain silent and hope for the best.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

but it must be better overall to have the info, thoughts and comments than for everyone to remain silent and hope for the best.

Of course and that's a fair point. I was just responding to what I perceived to be a comment about extremes where I think the few raising things that it would be unrealistic to expect, often vociferously, can undermine everyone else's efforts.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, McC said:

With a high quality motor, flywheels, helical gearing, power pack stay alive as standard and a track weight of nearly 425g we’ve designed the Manor from the ground up to be an incredibly running, sounding and looking machine. We’re confident it will set new standards for steam engines. 

Ooohhh keep selling it !!!! I am so much liking the idea of a brand new steam loco from such a revolutionary company as yours. I am so looking forward to getting mine now. I hadn't really considered it up until now but nothwithstanding the huge development costs and time involved, I just wonder how many would "upgrade" their existing Hornby black fives to new Accurascale models. They might as well go for the big one after developing something like the Manor of which there were only thirty built. 

Still plenty of steam options to consider which are "virgin territory" for RTR. The BR Std class 3 tender loco would theoretically be a simple project, maybe after the NIR jeep. Then using the some of the design work of the jeep you would look at the Stanier class 3 2-6-2 tank. 

Sorry my thoughts are running away with me.  !!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

37 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

The choices for an individual are to either point something out or keep quiet.

In the end which do you think results in a better model?

For what it's worth - we LOVE feedback, it's one of the reasons we share decoration plates, and such high resolution, detailed photos of samples. Particularly when presented with information, or better still photos to back up points and thoughts. We want this to be the best possible version it can be, so if we miss something, we love having it pointed out before the process has gotten too far and we have 8,000 Manors on a boat!

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, WishIHadAName said:

Well after driving the real thing this mont, Ive given into temptation and ordered a DCC sound version of Dinmore Manor. 

Looking forward to hearing some sound samples now so I know Ive made the right choice :)

Oh yes - full video with Jamie's sound very soon indeed :)