Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, confused said:

Never heard of this before, would a sound chip only work on any makes DCC ready locos?  For me sound was the only benefit of DCC.  I am fascinated.

it’s a feature of the ESU LokSound v5 chips we use, we ensure ours are enabled to work this way on DC layouts. 

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, confused said:

I am a DC Luddite.

1/ Understand that.

2/  Never heard of this before, would a sound chip only work on any makes DCC ready locos?  For me sound was the only benefit of DCC.  I am fascinated.

I recently found this out with the Bachmann western Pullman. I’m full dc, but Bachmann now say these work on dc. I was not convinced and thought if have to set up the dynamis. I simply put on the train and it worked with sound on DC. Takes more current to get going, but can sit with the lights on, makes brake and startup sounds and many other things. Has really opened my eyes to the possibility of Sound on DC. I’d definitely look into it if you are on DC and the only attraction to DCC is sound. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

I’d definitely look into it if you are on DC and the only attraction to DCC is sound. 

Sounds great, boom boom, but just realised I would have to buy a sound version and at £100+ over basic, my pension won't stand it, never mind interesting info and I'll have to wait for that lottery win.

14 hours ago, confused said:

I am a DC Luddite.

1/ Understand that.

2/  Never heard of this before, would a sound chip only work on any makes DCC ready locos?  For me sound was the only benefit of DCC.  I am fascinated.

This is purely my own experience but I hope it’s helpful. When DCC first appeared, I was sceptical because I didn’t get on well with Hornby’s Zero 1 system. In fairness, part of it was my fault rather than the system’s. I dipped my toe in DCC and found it worked for me. I had scarcely begun fitting decoders when sound came along. I was utterly hooked. Many of my old and cherished models will never be converted to DCC, so my layout has to operate both systems, which leaves me in a good position to compare.

A good example is Bachmann’s new and much-discussed V2. On DC, I get sound and it works quite well. However, on DCC,  there are many more controllable features. It isn’t only whistles (small speakers suit the high pitch of whistles very well) and the sound of shovelling; you get features such as choosing the sound of a light engine or a loco working harder pulling a train and much more.

Many people are die-hard DC, which is fair enough. I can’t say that you’ll like sound but if you can stomach the price*, it might be worth a try. If you do think it’s worth trying out DCC, you can get a good controller for less than the price of a big locomotive. The golden rule is never to put a DC loco on a DCC powered track.

If you love and understand steam locomotives, avoid Hornby’s TTS although I think TTS is all right for diesels.

* The best buys are usually sound-fitted, with a premium of £90 to £100.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, confused said:

Sounds great, boom boom, but just realised I would have to buy a sound version and at £100+ over basic, my pension won't stand it, never mind interesting info and I'll have to wait for that lottery win.

if it helps you get a LokSound V5 and twin speakers preconfigured for just £90 including VAT :) 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

This is purely my own experience but I hope it’s helpful. When DCC first appeared, I was sceptical because I didn’t get on well with Hornby’s Zero 1 system.

Thanks for kind advice, I really struggle with tech, i did spend 2hrs at a well known shop in Lincoln that had a large DCC setup, I just could not get on with it.

Anyway back to topic trying to persuade wife I need another loco.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, confused said:

Thanks for kind advice, I really struggle with tech, i did spend 2hrs at a well known shop in Lincoln that had a large DCC setup, I just could not get on with it.

Anyway back to topic trying to persuade wife I need another loco.

Try having her chipped,my x wife was DC but ive got a full DCC ready girlfriend,only 2 pin but runs fine,a lot smoother than past experience.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, No Decorum said:

If you can do that, DCC should be a doddle! :jester:

Good point - Fran  - are all these packages we have on pre order going to come in 'discreet' packaging? Already had 'Mmmmm - Bachmann' as the post was brought in this week (though luckily it was only the collectors club lorry as I was 'encouraged' to open it in Mrs P's presence!) 

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The clever bit is turning off the sound,ive not found the cv setting and i doubt theres a switch.......

Plainly we need a list of function keys …. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Try having her chipped,my x wife was DC but ive got a full DCC ready girlfriend,only 2 pin but runs fine,a lot smoother than past experience.

I was not sure whether the missus was DC or DCC. But  according to McC standing still making huffing noises and random squeaks... She must be operating on DC!

Edited by Vistisen
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Good point - Fran  - are all these packages we have on pre order going to come in 'discreet' packaging? Already had 'Mmmmm - Bachmann' as the post was brought in this week (though luckily it was only the collectors club lorry as I was 'encouraged' to open it in Mrs P's presence!) 

Hi @MikeParkin65,

Perhaps we should do a "plain box" for those special, stealth orders which must avoid the attention of domestic authorities going forward?

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

@confused This has been a feature of high end sound chips (i.e. not TTS or other budget ranges) for a number of years. Until I recently got a DCC controller, I was operating a couple of Hornby Sound Fitted Britannias (with Loksound V4 chips) on DC. All the chuffing sounds are there along with other sounds like injectors and coal shoveling that is played at random intervals. The loco basically runs like a normal DC loco, except for not moving before around 40% on my Gaugemaster controller (the minimum voltage to power the chip, sounds and motor). And there is a slight lag in acceleration and deceleration due to pre-programmed acceleration curves on the chip, but its minor (although if you decelerate to quickly the sound cuts out as the chip prioritises power to the motor). You need a little more care in operation, but the sound, certainly of a high-end sound chip is worth it even on DC, its great fun and really adds a dimension even without full functionality of DCC.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @MikeParkin65,

Perhaps we should do a "plain box" for those special, stealth orders which must avoid the attention of domestic authorities going forward?

Cheers!

Fran 

Just print Swarovski on it, you can guarentee it will pass any household border guards without scrutiny.. even the cat will follow you.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 5

17 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Just print Swarovski on it, you can guarentee it will pass any household border guards without scrutiny.. even the cat will follow you.

It just opens a new can of worms, because the border guard will wonder who is the recipient of said Swarovski gems and the cat will just laugh.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought prompted by another conversation on here: Would it be possible for the decoder project to modulate the brightness of the firebox LED(s) depending on the simulated state of the fire?

I.e. When the loco is standing doing nothing, a dull fire and when the loco is pulling hard a very bright fierce fire?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Just a thought prompted by another conversation on here: Would it be possible for the decoder project to modulate the brightness of the firebox LED(s) depending on the simulated state of the fire?

I.e. When the loco is standing doing nothing, a dull fire and when the loco is pulling hard a very bright fierce fire?

Hi Phil,

It is something we are playing around with. We will see in due course if it's something practical that can be achieved. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

But brighter when the blower is activated ???

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Phil,

It is something we are playing around with. We will see in due course if it's something practical that can be achieved. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Great that you're trying and I hope you can get it to work!

Thanks.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Phil,

Cheers!

Fran 

Don't forget to get the shape of the fire right as the firehole door is open ;)  (That's another thing that nobody has done before. - I think I sent the designer a suitable photo)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don't forget to get the shape of the fire right as the firehole door is open ;)  (That's another thing that nobody has done before. - I think I sent the designer a suitable photo)

I use DCC because I like to drive the trains, rather than the track. In other words for it's operational benefits.

I'm not keen on sound and other goodies but I appreciate that some folks are. That said, I'm open to new things and await the 'firebox glow' with interest. I can see a lot of 4mm scale drivers cursing their firemen for having the firedoors open at night whilst they are trying to spot a signal. :) 

To the point... I absolutely agree with Mike that if we can see the fire it must be the right shape - otherwise it will just be 'toy like'. Also please can we turn it off if we don't like it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1