Hornby Announce L&MR 0-4-2 "Lion"?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

In the 19th century they tended to refer to those from north of the borders as Scotchmen (still a good way of getting a Scot riled) and I think the Quintinshill reporting referred to late-running trains as "the Scotch Expresses".  Any true Scot will you though that Scotch is something you drink.

That was certainly the Midland term. By LMS days, the West Coast naming had been regularised to "Scot" so The Royal Scot became the official name of the 10 am from Euston and Glasgow central. The LMS, as successor to the LNWR - the Premier line - was very much on its dignity as the national railway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Budgie said:

I suppose you could spell it differently: "The Flying Scotchman" springs to mind.

I would have thought with that description it would be more staggering or crawling 🤪

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2022 at 21:28, Budgie said:

I suppose you could spell it differently: "The Flying Scotchman" springs to mind

That would be the alternative train services, presumably leaving London Queen’s Cross and Edinburgh Ivanhoe at 10:05.  (The loco has no definite article - it’s simply “Flying Scotsman”. Same distinction as “Royal Scot” and “The Royal Scot” over on the Secondary Line.) (😉)

Richard T

Edited by RichardT
Making it clear I was teasing.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, MyRule1 said:

I doubt that's it a record for RMWeb  but it's nearly a week and a couple of pages since anyone directly mentioned the subject of this thread.

I was working my way round to pointing out that Lion was not an LNER (or constituent company) locomotive!

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, MyRule1 said:

I doubt that's it a record for RMWeb  but it's nearly a week and a couple of pages since anyone directly mentioned the subject of this thread.

Nothing much to say though, is there?

Most of us that want one are just patiently waiting for it. Others just want to use the thread to knock Hornby.

Jason

• Agree 6

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nothing much to say though, is there?

Most of us that want one are just patiently waiting for it. Others just want to use the thread to knock Hornby.

Jason

The tertiary manufacturer? 😁

• Funny 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hmmmm . I’ve just seen a report in facebook of someone receiving notices from Hornby that Lion is in stock at Hornby and about to be despatched .  Is this correct ?

Could it be that Hornby have accelerated development of this model and are about to pull something out of the fire  ahead of Rapido . Obviously they can’t sell Titfield Thunderbolt but they can rush out Lion 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow, that's a surprise, it will be interesting to see how well Hornby have done this one. I thought their Rocket was superbly done. I am not that interested in the Titfield Thunderbolt releases (at the risk of being labelled a heretic it's not a movie I particularly like) but I could be tempted by a regular version like the Hornby train pack. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Not really a surprise if they have rushed it through although not having the Titfield version might not be so clever for the business case as it could have been.  They have form for rushing some things through in recent years - witness picking up the Oxford Terrier and running with it to get ahead of Rails.   And it could well explain why other models (e.g. the Standard 78XXX) have been pushed back. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

It's understandable why competitors are wary of the timing of their new loco announcements.

I think manufacturers are in a no-win scenario on that one. If they announce early they risk endless whinging about delays and accusations of just claiming territory at the expense of others. If they announce late they risk being accused of copying and attacking other companies etc. Personally I prefer the current Bachmann approach of announcing late but I know others differ.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

if it really is in stock then it does imply Hornby where along way down the road, if they choose to get something to market before a rival why is that so bad, that's business for heaven sake.

Its up to the consumer to decide if they purchase or wait for another model by someone else, if its a poor model well thats 100% on Hornby and sales of said product will reflect that.

• Agree 4

We'll find out soon enough, although Hornby says its "In Stock", shops downstream are saying "November".  When it gets into circulation, the folk with the critical gaze will soon describe all the faults problem areas and then it'll be compared with the model its in competiton with when that emerges.

Whatever Hornby produces, it'll be better than the old K's whitemetal kit or the 3D printed bodykit.

Edited by Hroth
Euphony...
  • Like 2