Hornby Announce L&MR 0-4-2 "Lion"?

MGR Hooper!

So not just the locomotive on its own then... 😤

Rapido it is though I hope they (or someone) are kind enough to make a coupling that is compatible with Hornby's Rocket carriages (which I have). If not may need to make one myself somehow... 🤔

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

"Those of you who brought the special Triang memory rocket pack will now have the chance to own those coaches a second time..."

I had already ordered the Rapido sound fitted Lion as part of my preserved collection. However the fact Hornby offer coaches that I already have means there is no chance in changing ship.

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, drt7uk said:

So not just the locomotive on its own then... 😤

Rapido it is though I hope they (or someone) are kind enough to make a coupling that is compatible with Hornby's Rocket carriages (which I have). If not may need to make one myself somehow... 🤔

From Rapido's website....

"Compatible with other brands of period coaching stock"

Which basically means "Couples with Hornby" without actually saying the word "Hornby" 🙂

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/liverpool-and-manchester-railway-lion/

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Imagine if rapido decide to make the replica coaches? I actually don't think it's that far fetched an idea honestly. No copyright issues either on that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, E100 said:

Imagine if rapido decide to make the replica coaches? I actually don't think it's that far fetched an idea honestly. No copyright issues either on that.

It would show Rapido in a very good light if they left the coaches for Hornby to sweep up, good will towards a company that tried to do the dirty.

Unfortunately there is probably a greater profit margin in rolling stock than Locos. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I can only think of two words…

1. Why

2. Pointless

if it were me, move on from “Lion”, do Locomotion no1… S&D 200’s just around the corner… if this themes worth persuing, then add Novelty and Cycloped to the list.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

This all has the makings of a Carry On movie.  Perhaps Studio Canal could bid for the script rights.

They already have the rights to the Carry on films, and the Ealing comedies such as 'The Ladykillers'.

Politics aside, did anyone else notice this is listed as a next 18 decoder which Hornby don't currently make? It can't be a typo as they can't have accidentally copied it from another model (except maybe rapidos website🤣) but it would suggest Hornby are at least finally getting up to date with dcc technology. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, shunny said:

next 18 decoder

Sounds reasonable. Hornby have stated that they are upgrading from 8 pin, and although they have said they'd do 21pins on the diesel/elec its not too difficult to imagine that they wouldn't be able to fit a 21-pin in such a small loco and so had to downsize their expectations, but decided against going back to 8 pin. Notice that they are selling locomotives now (e.g. class 91 in my mitts here) with a 21-pin socket but they don't yet have their own-branded 21-pin decoder on their shelves for sale; for order yes ("Summer 2023" - wow. didn't notice it was 2023 until i double checked) but not for delivery now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

I wouldn't dream of trying to duplicate something like that, that has been done so recently and to a good standard. I like those coaches and have quite a number in my personal collection and will likely buy a few more in the future. I feel we should complement each other where we can.

Andy

Good on you @rapidoandy, the way it should be! Same for me with Hatton's upcoming late-Victorian coaches and my Locomotion Stirling Single, Rails' Caledonian loco, etc etc. And thanks for making couplings "compatible with other brands of period coaching stock", very helpful! Looking forward to purchasing your Lion, just waiting to see the livery samples before choosing whether to get the 1930s or 1980s version.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, shunny said:

Politics aside, did anyone else notice this is listed as a next 18 decoder which Hornby don't currently make? It can't be a typo as they can't have accidentally copied it from another model (except maybe rapidos website🤣) but it would suggest Hornby are at least finally getting up to date with dcc technology. 

They use Next 18 in some of their international ranges.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, shunny said:

Yes this was in the original announcement. I did note it as being an interesting development.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll be honest I'm struggling to see a board market for this now. It'll arrive at roughly the same time as the Rapido one. Probably be inferior but is more expensive as it can only be bought in a pack. That's before we even get into the fact that modelers in the know will probably avoid the model out of principle anyway. I'm sure they'll sell a fair few but not sure it's worth their while now over other models.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, E100 said:

Probably be inferior 

I have seen this or similar a few times so I'm not picking on this comment but I don't really understand this assertion (in fact this is one of the kinder ones, saying probably as opposed to 'it will be worse').

Can we wait until we see at least something, anything, of the Hornby Lion before it gets dismissed? The only Hornby product it can be legitimately be compared to is the Rocket which aside from wires between the locomotive and tender which broke if you so much as looked at them was pretty damn good in every respect, winning model of the year if I'm not mistaken?

In the event that the Hornby Lion is genuinely better, will people see, understand and/or accept this considering how tarred with a certain brush it seems to be?

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, HExpressD said:

I have seen this or similar a few times so I'm not picking on this comment but I don't really understand this assertion (in fact this is one of the kinder ones, saying probably as opposed to 'it will be worse').

Can we wait until we see at least something, anything, of the Hornby Lion before it gets dismissed? The only Hornby product it can be legitimately be compared to is the Rocket which aside from wires between the locomotive and tender which broke if you so much as looked at them was pretty damn good in every respect, winning model of the year if I'm not mistaken?

In the event that the Hornby Lion is genuinely better, will people see, understand and/or accept this considering how tarred with a certain brush it seems to be?

Judging by recent Hornby delivery performance it could be a long wait 😇 

But of course it's bound to be ok because we mustn't forget that Hornby's mantra is 'detail, detail, detail' - although various recent examples, e.g. the WCML Azuma, could indicate that it might not necessarily be the correct detail.   And they might well 'do a Terrier' and shove the production schedule for something else to one side and shoehorn 'Lion' into its place just to show  how (childishly) clever they can be at 'beating the competition'; just wonder about which items promised for 2022 have gone back some way  into 2023.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, HExpressD said:

I understand the sentiment, however my point is that the Hornby model needs a strong unique selling point to make it in a crowded market. I'm not convinced this exists beyond brand penetration. Going off the back of my recent acquisitions of an APT-E and APT-P by the two manufactures, I am somewhat skeptical that the Hornby model will be better. I'll be the first to say it's pure speculation and I could well be proved wrong but that's part of the fun for me.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, E100 said:

I understand the sentiment, however my point is that the Hornby model needs a strong unique selling point to make it in a crowded market.

i think the strong unique selling point will be that it’s in a red box and with ‘Hornby’ written on the front,

if your not aware of the ins and outs of Hornby from a business point of view then it’s a ‘trusted name’ that joe public will buy because they’ve heard of it or ‘they had a Hornby trainset as a kid’ 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Judging by recent Hornby delivery performance it could be a long wait 😇 

But of course it's bound to be ok because we mustn't forget that Hornby's mantra is 'detail, detail, detail' - although various recent examples, e.g. the WCML Azuma, could indicate that it might not necessarily be the correct detail.   And they might well 'do a Terrier' and shove the production schedule for something else to one side and shoehorn 'Lion' into its place just to show  how (childishly) clever they can be at 'beating the competition'; just wonder about which items promised for 2022 have gone back some way  into 2023.

Or the 2019, 2020 and 2021 ones as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1