Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2023 at 18:56, Black Marlin said:

This looks fantastic. I'm so pleased I pre-ordered the non-DCC set when it was announced - especially as I have now saved up the money for it! But a question for @rapidoandy, if I may: as a DC modeller, it would have made no sense for me to order the DCC Sound -fitted set. However, I see it comes with the figures, which I very much would like: is there a way to order them separately so that us non-digital modellers don't miss out?

On 23/07/2023 at 21:56, RapidoCorbs said:

The figures etc. are only with the deluxe set but the deluxe/DCC sound version works on DC layouts too (provided the controller is a good/modern one).

Two posts that trigger a dilemma. And the crucial point here is made by Rapido Corbs. IF you have a modern dc controller and not one that dates way back ( Mine is a new Gaugemaster Combi ) you will be able to get sound. Diesel  classes 37 & 47 both Bachmann and Accurascale are achievable and make for an enhanced experience when operating. That said,I have also a Roco DB BR 03 ( HO ) steam locomotive which I run . The response from that would surprise you. It’s amazingly lifelike and does bring the whole experience to life. So if Rapido’s sound file is up to the mark, it might bring the cinema experience to your room. This is after all a celebration of film that in so many ways reminds us of things we’ve lost forever. Most members of this forum won’t have seen the film in a cinema but on a tv screen. I did as a boy of 11 with my mother who came rather unwillingly but who thoroughly enjoyed it. I remain captivated. Simon’s book has been an enchanting memoir of its making for me to read and savour. It’s quite obviously for him been a labour of love .It shows.   If you look in a percentage term’s difference between the two editions….it is after all an individual decision…..it’s maybe not a great deal more. Just saying.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Two posts that trigger a dilemma. And the crucial point here is made by Rapido Corbs. IF you have a modern dc controller and not one that dates way back ( Mine is a new Gaugemaster Combi ) you will be able to get sound. Diesel  classes 37 & 47 both Bachmann and Accurascale are achievable and make for an enhanced experience when operating. That said,I have also a Roco DB BR 03 ( HO ) steam locomotive which I run . The response from that would surprise you. It’s amazingly lifelike and does bring the whole experience to life. So if Rapido’s sound file is up to the mark, it might bring the cinema experience to your room. This is after all a celebration of film that in so many ways reminds us of things we’ve lost forever. Most members of this forum won’t have seen the film in a cinema but on a tv screen. I did as a boy of 11 with my mother who came rather unwillingly but who thoroughly enjoyed it. I remain captivated. Simon’s book has been an enchanting memoir of its making for me to read and savour. It’s quite obviously for him been a labour of love .It shows.   If you look in a percentage term’s difference between the two editions….it is after all an individual decision…..it’s maybe not a great deal more. Just saying.

That's a good point. Fortunately, Hattons still have the Deluxe version available to pre-order, so I've cancelled my order for the standard version and ordered the Deluxe instead.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Update from the latest newsletter is that the Thunderbolt packs are now on the high seas and will be here in October. Slight relief for me as I have 3 other locos arriving this month and could do with spreading the expense/arrival of large packages leading to questions from my better half. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/09/2023 at 12:56, RapidoCorbs said:

WITB - Titfield - 1.jpg

I think you have to say that that looks very nice indeed and a lot better / more comprehensive than anything Hornby would have come up with . Looks like a really good momento of the film rather than a model that just happens to tie into a marketing possibility 

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve just cancelled my order for the deluxe pack, extra coach and crumps bus with rails of Sheffield, I’ve been umming and ahhing over whether to or not as I really like the look of the set but I finally decided to today having seen a notification that they are weeks away 

The reason for cancelling is I’d probably never run it and as nice as it is, it’s quite an expensive piece of eye candy to have just sat in the display cabinet, am I going to regret cancelling it as soon as people post their pics up here, yep, I can guarantee that!

ill most likely get hold of a ‘lion’ in 1980s  livery at some point instead 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

I’m veering the other way. I cancelled my order some time ago, and have regretted it ever since. Now I’m on the brink of re-ordering, going for the de luxe version, although I’d also have to get a suitable DCC controller.

And build a layout to run the thing.

Give rails of Sheffield a ring, they have an extra one now! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

Our warehouse has becoming a hive of activity…

IMG_7417.jpeg

smiling-sheep-gary-canant.jpg.9046cd4854ebb1733a066d19e7d8bc8b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy L S said:

Out of curiosity, seeing the beautifully done interior of Dan's coach - there's no bed - where did he sleep? 🤔

He slept in his bed in the coach - but that was all removed and replaced by the fancy stuff shown here for the Inspector's run.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

He slept in his bed in the coach - but that was all removed and replaced by the fancy stuff shown here for the Inspector's run.

Absolutely correct! When I designed the interior, I wanted to make it appropriate for ruining behind Thunderbolt. Besides, if modelled in its static form (or indeed being carried out of its field by the villagers!) we would have had to replicate the broken window through which he gets poked with a tree branch to wake him up, as well as a *lot* more clutter, the bed, a sink, a wardrobe, and a washing line inside! 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, RapidoLinny said:

Absolutely correct! When I designed the interior, I wanted to make it appropriate for ruining behind Thunderbolt. Besides, if modelled in its static form (or indeed being carried out of its field by the villagers!) we would have had to replicate the broken window through which he gets poked with a tree branch to wake him up, as well as a *lot* more clutter, the bed, a sink, a wardrobe, and a washing line inside! 

Sounds like a candidate for a follow up model....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 04/10/2023 at 17:54, Kaput said:

Bit of a random question but how long is the entire rake of Thunderbolt, Dan's House/Loriet and the Brake van? Trying to make sure it'll fit in a display case

About 410mm if the tension locks are still fitted - that's from measuring the sample we have here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

About 410mm if the tension locks are still fitted - that's from measuring the sample we have here.

That means the train would fit into the platform on my layout but being an end to end layout the loco needs to have couplings on the front so it can pull the train tender first and I fear that "Lion" does not! Is it possible to fit couplings on the front of the loco?

• Like 3