SWAG Member's Day - 24th April 2022

Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

Well regardless of what Boris says, I'm still wearing a mask on public transport and in crowded places. I'm also using hand sanitiser after touching regularly handled things. Both my folks are elderly and not in the best health and I do LFTs before seeing them. All precautions that some may consider unnecessary but something I do because, to be honest, it takes so little effort, has become routine and is hardly a hardship. 

I have no issue at all with the few measures proposed for the SWAG private gathering. I'll know that I've done my part in helping make it a safe event. At least we're not being asked to shave our heads and donate the hair to @AY Mod's wig collection. Now that I would object to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

What happens elsewhere has no bearing on the rules stipulated for this private event. I fully support Rob's intention to make the event as safe as possible for all and the rules are not asking anything difficult, uncomfortable or untoward.

1. LFT packs are still available free of charge (just ordered another pack now) so make sure you have some in hand ahead of the event. If you don't get 'free' ones it's evident that some retailers such as Boots will be selling them so there's no reason to abandon that intent. 

2. Covid passes - at least make sure you generate a pass (valid for 28 days) by 31st March or arrange for a printed version.

3. Masks - as long as everyone can comply with 1 and 2 then this can be left to personal choice.

These are the conditions of entry to the event even if we are down to very low levels of incidence.

Okay i get that, these are the rules so get over it! As has been mentioned elsewhere you don't have to go and, regrettably,  I won't. Tough.

Having said that I think it's true that Covid-19 is with us for all eternity, forever. Absolutely forever.

In the light of that is the group going to insist on testing forever? And are they going to refuse to attend other shows that don't demand LFT results? How many members, I wonder, went to the Doncaster show which was pretty free and easy (but I was one of the many who wore the optional mask).

It just seems to be an over the top reaction to waning pandemic. Sorry. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

As you said; tough. The rules, this year, will not be changed to accommodate your opinion.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Having said that I think it's true that Covid-19 is with us for all eternity, forever. Absolutely forever.

<snip>

Er, which is it ?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I can't help but note the content of your update regarding your attendence at the  Doncaster show and the apparent inability of attendees to maintain social distancing. 

And that is a large venue. 

Staplegrove Village Hall isn't. 

Hopefully though probably not for the last time, here are the existing guidlines from the Government which are as follows; 

"You may also choose to take a lateral flow test before being in close contact and also encourage those people you are meeting with to do so, which will help to manage periods of risk. 

These are personal choices which can help reduce your risk of catching or spreading COVID-19. It is important to consider that others may wish to continue to take a more cautious approach. "

I've not suddenly sprung this on potential attendees days ahead of the event and , I accept that we are going further than simply 'encouraging people'  

But, there is ample time to prepare and we can all collectively contribute towards an event which is as safe as we can make it. 

If you feel  unwilling to make that contribution then I am regretably equally unwilling to accomodate you. 

Rob. 

Rob, welcome to the world of 'trying to please all of the people all of the time!'

Thanks again for all you are doing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps it is time to reset the topic with an announcement of an impending announcement of an announcement!

Thanks for all you are doing, believe me I know how it feels having worked in education for over 30 years.

Martyn

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

Today's featurette focuses on Mudmagnet's Orchard Road, a small but jolly nice diesel depot jobbie set in Devon and covering the period 1975-1983. 

Richard tells me there are Blue diseasels aplenty and I am assured there is some gizmo trickery involved in making the whole thing work.  This apparently includes the use of a telephone to make the engines move about. Witchcraft I tell you.  !!! 

Hopefully he will also be bringing a selection of his excellent 3D printed products.......

E.g 

A few images of what's in store for us........

And not forgetting........

thumb_209580_default_big.jpeg.jpg.ae2a8cb82a8afaaa18296244ca918606.jpg

I thank you.........

Just as well most if not all of us remember such contraptions, those younger people don't know how to use one!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Ahh, the good old days! When we moved to Pimlico in 1969, the flat had one of those old ivory coloured affairs with a proper dial. I recall the phone number was printed onto a small card in the middle of the dial. The code for that area was 828 which in letters was TAT. My dear old mum would answer the phone with "Tate 3170, can I help you?" ;)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/03/2022 at 08:53, NHY 581 said:

As detailed elsewhere by Tim, there will also be a couple of tables where there will be an opportunity to purchase items belonging to Grahame. I understand these will mainly be 'consumables' such as paint and other modelling essentials of which Grahame has quite a ' stash'. 

My thanks to Rob for providing us with this facility.

There is a very large amount of stuff of Grahame's to sell, including the 'consumables' mentioned by Rob above.

This is the new sub-section of the forum kindly started by Andy York, to enable us to sell the more complete models that Grahame made - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/367-for-sale-gold-member-use-only/

The fact that Gold membership is mentioned does not mean that only Gold members can bid or make purchases, quite the opposite! Listing of items is reserved for Gold members, however, but the context of this is that  this new section was specially set up following a request from myself, although it could also be used by other Gold members to sell their own items.

There will be much more to list in due course and anyone wishing to purchase any item can request that we bring it with us to Taunton, for them to collect.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Having been to the Staplegrove swag event in the past I know the parking is very limited, having a general dislike of  4 wheeled transport and living almost 20 miles from a network railway station if I come I will be arriving by motorcycle. Last time I managed to find a small parking spot at the hall but if this is not possible where is the next closest parking? Bearing in mind with a motorcycle security is always a problem.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Building on bubble2's question re parking, having looked at Google maps, is the nearest parking somewhere the other side of the roundabout in the residential area around Cresswell Avenue?

Edited by 96701
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

Having been to the Staplegrove swag event in the past I know the parking is very limited, having a general dislike of  4 wheeled transport and living almost 20 miles from a network railway station if I come I will be arriving by motorcycle. Last time I managed to find a small parking spot at the hall but if this is not possible where is the next closest parking? Bearing in mind with a motorcycle security is always a problem.

We will most certainly find room for a bike. I'm sure it can be tucked in somewhere.  Parking is, as you say,  at a premium at the premises  

I would simply ask that common sense is applied by all visitors if parking in the surrounding area so that there's no impact on local residents. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I would have thought we could find space for a motorbike. 

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

We will most certainly find room for a bike. I'm sure it can be tucked in somewhere.  

Rob. 

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Is there room for a non-SWAG member who lives within the SWAG area to attend. I am more than happy to prove my Pasty eating skills and love of strong sweet tea.

Not to mention my persuasion for all things green, Olive/Malachite/Brunswick with or without copper caps.

I haven't been to a SWAG day since.... 2017 or 2016 perhaps.

Gary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

How can you be a non-SWAG member if you live in the SWAG area ???

We accept anyone, within reason. ;)

I was told there was some secret hand or pasty shake I was unaware of.

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, the dual facts of being on RMWeb and living within the SWAG area means that you are, by default, a SWAG member. If that doesn't suit, there's always the Independent People's Republic of Torbay.

Huzzah! I have to say I don't fancy the Torbay Republic :-) 

Gary

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

How can you be a non-SWAG member if you live in the SWAG area ???

We accept anyone, within reason. ;)

Indeed. We even have Eastern region layouts this year. 

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1