SWAG Member's Day - 24th April 2022

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, DLT said:

61973139_FryupShirt.jpg.4c09f19af3ad952718eb26a6e0b8660a.jpg

1310780241_SpaghettiShirt.jpg.5281281903ca6c2395dc7af383ece1b8.jpg

This worries me.

Such patterning on the material of a garment would make it virtually impossible to distinguish between the garment and food that was legitimately spilled onto same.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

This worries me.

Such patterning on the material of a garment would make it virtually impossible to distinguish between the garment and food that was legitimately spilled onto same.

Isn't that the idea?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

Ah!

Now that's clever.

Too clever by half this early in the morning!

I have an Indonesian batik shirt that is patterned in various shades of yellow and brown.

It is ideal for eating Singapore chilli crab, which can splash everywhere, to the extent that it has become known as my crab shirt or, in a Singapore accent, my crap shirt.

One day I might get the chance to wear it to Staplegrove...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I have an Indonesian batik shirt that is patterned in various shades of yellow and brown.

It is ideal for eating Singapore chilli crab, which can splash everywhere, to the extent that it has become known as my crab shirt or, in a Singapore accent, my crap shirt.

One day I might get the chance to wear it to Staplegrove...

Sure it's not an Indonesian Splat it shirt......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

A few posts back Simon raised the question of the usual pre-event, Saturday night gathering at The Lethbridge Arms in Bishops Lydeard and asked if anything was planned for this year. 

After a quick poll held amongst the exhibitors, traders and associated 'staff' the majority of us have indicated that we will be travelling across, up, over and  down on the Sunday morning. 

Those that aren't are staying in Taunton itself at various locations. 

Therefore, the general consensus is that there will not be a formal gathering as in previous years. 

Hopefully, we shall see a return to normal for 2023. 

I thank you.

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all 2. 

A number of us are still working on layouts which will appear at SWAG. There is nothing like a deadline to galvanise one into action...(two weeks tomorrow as it happens........!!!!!) 

To name but a few, Polsarrett from Chris Tooth is seeing much activity, as is Upbech from Martyn Mullander. John Farmer is busy adding green stuff to Parkend Sidings and I'm pretty certain Dave Taylor is making some modifications to Bridport Town. Stu Hilton is knocking Castell into shape. Al Reynolds is busy extending his French odyssey. I'm sure many others are making tweaks and changes ahead of the event. 

My own slice of East Anglian bucolic decrepitude is quietly coming together but much remains to be done...............

In essence, Ewe is a small, mid sixties, goods yard in the back of East Anglian beyond where a few small diesels grumble about the place, disturb the weeds, worry a wagon or two then disappear once again. 

EWE. 

20220409_074127-01.jpeg.6f3fc347a084581e4bc912fa5d79ad12.jpeg

Rob. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Castell is making its debut at the Statfold show this weekend, albeit as a static model, c/o the Scale Model Scenery #ShuntIt competition display.

Hopefully by SWAG it will be a fully roundy-roundy.

74683001_20220406_1516272.jpg.1799d806b48209fc1ea635c456f9d982.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

For those who haven't seen it, here are a few shots of Upbech Drove. A slice of East Anglia in the late 40s, early 50s. The layout can also be run in 60s post steam mode as little of the infrastructure changed in rural areas.

534632171_Coalyard1.jpg.c2bef36e26b7bc3d8f31c589c2d1a5ae.jpg

297014409_J15BW.jpg.c5f04d0888569d8a51b969059bc00ec7.jpg

Overview.jpg.48494e1503c25b6c81b2b29b7361e578.jpg

J72.jpg.09c811d9b316ced940d18fbafcf15679.jpg

The layout was a lockdown project in EM gauge, built with what I had when all the shops were shut hence the use of PCB track. Structures are mainly scratchbuilt, size around 5ft X 1. Although it breaks down easily, mainly so I don't have to rebuild it in the event of a house move, it is essentially a home layout. Not being a club member I was never sure if it would be invited to an exhibition so thanks to SWAG for the invite. Layout is part of a larger group of modules and is run on DCC.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this has already been asked. A question regarding cash or touch card payments. I rarely carry physical cash these days but am assuming that I will need to bring real cash/notes to the event, especially for things like the BGMan stall.

Could we have a statement about that please.

• RMweb Gold

I have no locus in the organising team, but know that hire of a card reader etc is expensive for just one day, unless the income is very significant. While traders may offer the facility, the BG stall etc will be most unlikely to do so. 

Cash seldom offends.

We will not have the full range of Plates with us on the Day 

The Ones we will have with us are

GWR 

SR

Fictitious

Shed Plates

Pre Grouping

Head Boards

2mm range

3D printed Bodys

& the Detailing parts

If you would like any from the following list

Then PM us with your list & wil will have your order Ready to pick up & pay on the day

BR

LNER

LMS

& 3mm Range

Payment on the Day can be by

Card & Cash

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, john new said:

Apologies if this has already been asked. A question regarding cash or touch card payments. I rarely carry physical cash these days but am assuming that I will need to bring real cash/notes to the event, especially for things like the BGMan stall.

Could we have a statement about that please.

As far as the 'BGMan Bazaar' is concerned, unless you are picking something up that you have already bought and paid for, most of the financial income from the stand will go to the Bristol & Weston Hospitals Trust charity. That said, some of the items will literally be 'free to a good home' (although charitable donations still encouraged, because (i) it's a good cause, (ii) Grahame (bgman) was a blo0dy good bloke and (iii) you are all jolly good folk as well!

The other category will be priced stuff, the vast, vast majority of which will be 50p or £1, so you are most heartily encouraged to bring appropriate amounts of 50p and £1 coins, please.

Because we're not sure how all the significant quantities of stuff will get spread out on our table and displayed, some may end up at the Bring & Buy (for which I understood - subject to the Committee confirming - there is a card reader available).

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all, 

Further to the above and in summary thereof.........

247 Developments- Cash/card. 

L&B - Cash/card. 

Bring and buy- cash/card. However there may be a small surcharge regarding card payments. Sure Aidan will confirm. 

BGman Bazaar-cash. As CK alludes to, 50p and £1 coins preferred though obviously multiple purchases will allow use of folding readies. 

Pasties/ Pies/cake/biscuits/tea/coffee/soft drinks- cash only. Prices will be set on the day by the special tactical catering intervention squad. 

* Please try to bring your own mugs ( yes, I know......) along to reduce the amount of handling by the S.T.C.I.S. Normal size. No buckets. 

Please correct me if any of the above is incorrect. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Afternoon all, 

L&B - Cash/card. 

Bring and buy- cash/card. However there may be a small surcharge regarding card payments. Sure Aidan will confirm. 

BGman Bazaar-cash. As CK alludes to, 50p and £1 coins preferred though obviously multiple purchases will allow use of folding readies. 

Pasties/ Pies/cake/biscuits/tea/coffee/soft drinks- cash only. Prices will be set on the day by the special tactical catering intervention squad. 

* Please try to bring your own mugs ( yes, I know......) along to reduce the amount of handling by the S.T.C.I.S. Normal size. No buckets. 

Rob. 

Thanks for confirming what I expected. Post was made as I was heading up to the Bath & West event and realised my wife and I had not much cash between us. A reminder warning for the SWAG event.

Luckily I got everything we needed today and had just enough cash for the one train ride when their machine would not log in. Nearly three years since our last show, glad to be back - just wished the mask wearing ratio had been higher but that is what it is.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Afternoon all, 

L&B - Cash/card. 

Rob. 

I will also be bringing a selection of my 3D printed parts and will have a card reader. Old fashioned folding stuff (not that easy to fold anymore being plastic) also accepted. 

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well……. Due to circumstances beyond my control….. I won’t now be at the SWAG Bash but instead I will be sunning myself in Gran Canaria whilst drinking ice cold beer.

Some of you I will see before but to everyone else….I’ll see you in 2023!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, BlackRat said:

Well……. Due to circumstances beyond my control….. I won’t now be at the SWAG Bash but instead I will be sunning myself in Gran Canaria whilst drinking ice cold beer.

Some of you I will see before but to everyone else….I’ll see you in 2023!

All noted Sully. You will of course be missed but I have to question your priorities here .................

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Two weeks today, all being well, I for one shall be en route from Chateau Sheep to Staplegrove.

Another layout appearing is Clive Mortimer's Pig Lane. A compact, pre- tops, Western Region diesel servicing point located on the borders of Berkshire and Oxfordshire. 

100_5453.JPG.c64fffdd63d6459bfe08a95930929c1a.JPG

100_5478.JPG.083dbe4c3f434fc90c9f037a10b6904d.JPG

Unsure which way round we'll have this on display as it is capable of being viewed from a variety of angles...........so if you've seen it before you might not have seen it from here/there..............Come to think of it, it could be a surprise to Clive if he leaves it unattended for too long......

100_5490-01.jpeg.58cb994c37fbbe2f1bb1203f2eda0be5.jpeg

I thank you.......

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1