SWAG Member's Day - 24th April 2022

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2022 at 21:54, NHY 581 said:

The second of our featurettes on attending layouts is Alistair Green's lovely evocation of the Cromford and High Peak Railway, Ladmanlow. 

I'm so sorry Rob, in the run up to Doncaster I haven't being paying attention, and completely missed that you had posted this.

Thank you very much.

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
On 12/02/2022 at 08:37, NHY 581 said:

All Attendees will have conducted a Lateral Flow Test 24hrs prior to attending the event and again, will be in possession of proof of this

I should have posted this sooner but please make sure you all order an LFT pack asap for use before the event on the assumption that thre may soon be restricted availability.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I should have posted this sooner but please make sure you all order an LFT pack asap for use before the event on the assumption that thre may soon be restricted availability.

I think it depends on how the inter-Cabinet arm wrestling goes....be great if it was televised

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

I think it depends on how the inter-Cabinet arm wrestling goes....be great if it was televised

Visions of Bungle distracting opponents by nodding towards the window and saying "Look, there's a PPE contract just blowing past".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Do we really think Staplegrove would attract high enough ratings to justify televising it?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, AY Mod said:

LFT-non-available.png.ba4c450c17a7818341d9969a2f260831.png

Hmm... Oops.

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

How is this affected by the government's latest announcement removing all restrictions? 

My view is that whatever the government says are the mandatory rules that does not stop individual promotors imposing their own entry requirements. A bit like the sale of alcohol, the law says age 18, shops are running an age 25 verification policy. What ever the law says I won’t be de-masking in public places for a while yet. The virus may be receding but it hasn’t gone away yet.

Hoping to come on the 24th, and that most attendees will be proven as clear.

Edited by john new
Typo correction
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Alister_G said:

LFT-non-available.png.ba4c450c17a7818341d9969a2f260831.png

Hmm... Oops.

Al.

I'll put a post together later but in respect of the above, the key point for us is that LFT test kits, as at the bottom of the screen shot are still available. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at the revised regulations in light of the announcement yesterday, I would make the following observations.  

The announcement yesterday removed a legal requirement to comply with any restrictions. 

However, looking at the updated website this morning the government still provide the following guidance........

"COVID-19 will be a feature of our lives for the foreseeable future, so we need to learn to live with it and manage the risk to ourselves and others" 

Use the NHS COVID-19 app.

The app is free and easy to use and doing so can help you protect your loved ones and others.

The app also allows people to report symptoms and order coronavirus tests. To help protect yourself and others, download and use the latest version of the NHS COVID-19 app.

Take a test if you do not have symptoms to help manage your risk

Around 1 in 3 people with COVID-19 do not have any symptoms. This means they could be spreading the virus without knowing it. Testing regularly increases the chances of detecting COVID-19 when you are infectious but are not displaying symptoms, helping to make sure you do not spread COVID-19 by staying at home and self-isolating immediately.

Rapid lateral flow testing continues to be available free of charge. You can get tests from pharmacies or online. Find out more about how to get rapid lateral flow tests.

You are at higher risk of catching or passing on COVID-19 in crowded and enclosed spaces, where there are more people who might be infectious and where there is limited fresh air.

You may wish to take a rapid lateral flow test if it is expected there will be a period of high risk that day. This includes spending time in crowded and enclosed spaces, or before visiting people who are at higher risk of severe illness if they get COVID-19. Report your result and if positive, self-isolate immediately and take a PCR test.In general, the risk of catching or passing on COVID-19 is higher in crowded and enclosed spaces, where there are more people who might be infectious and limited fresh air.

Venues and events are no longer required by law to check visitors’ NHS COVID Pass.

However, some venues where large crowds gather or are in close contact may choose to continue to check the COVID-19 status of attendees and the workforce to keep everyone safer. Find out more about using the NHS Covid Pass.

These are personal choices which can help reduce your risk of catching or spreading COVID-19. It is important to consider that others may wish to continue to take a more cautious approach. We should all be considerate of this and provide the opportunity and space for others to reduce close contacts if they wish " 

Therefore, my view is nothing will change in respect of SWAG '22. 

The mechanisms to obtain COVID passports remain in place as do those to obtain LFTs and to record the results obtained by testing. There is nothing to suggest these mechanisms are to be withdrawn. 

Having looked again at the floorplan, it's a small venue and attendees, exhibitors, traders, 'catering staff' and those involved in the bring and buy etc will all co- exist in close proximity to each other for the duration of their stay. 

We owe it to each other to ensure we take every precaution to keep each other safe. 

I thank you. 

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Totally agree Rob, and sorry if my previous post suggeted I was not supportive of your aims.

I have a pack of LFTs which will be used appropriately.

Al.

Not at all. Never even crossed my mind , Al. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I was genuinely absolutely gutted that previous years could not go ahead, but subject to getting the appropriate measures in place on my end, I'm very much looking forward to coming to SWAG this year! The day before, I will be attending Narrow Gauge South (which I believe will be my first public outing since 2019... crazy) with Sandy Shores, so it'll be a busy weekend for me, but I would not miss an opportunity to come as I enjoyed the 2019 event so much. Funny how it happens - our village show is that same weekend - no shows for years, and then 3 come along on the same weekend!

As always, I'll come equipped with a camera so that those who aren't able to attend won't miss everything ('only' the delicious cakes and friendly banter!). Unlike in 2019, I'm hoping that since I'm not bringing a layout with me, I will also manage more than a 1.5 min video filmed during take-down!

Anyway, the line-up looks great, as always. I'm grateful for the hard work that's already gone into the event, and I for one am also happy to see all precautions being taken.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

BBC News - Covid: Tube and bus mask rules to be scrapped in London
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60494230

Things are moving in the right direction 

Last Thursdays edition of The Guardian mentioned that excess deaths are now lower than they were in February 2020 ie before the pandemic. 

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Last Thursdays edition of The Guardian mentioned that excess deaths are now lower than they were in February 2020 ie before the pandemic. 

We'll only really know that after most people have stopped taking the mandatory precautions for a few weeks and the stats haven't started going back up.

The SWAG do is far enough in the future for that to become apparent, one way or the other.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2022 at 10:43, NHY 581 said:

I'll put a post together later but in respect of the above, the key point for us is that LFT test kits, as at the bottom of the screen shot are still available. 

Rob. 

But for how long?

It is believed that the Government will stop providing them free of charge at the beginning of April.

A sure fire way of ensuring Covid spreads as very few people will be willing to pay for the tests given that in most cases the actual infection is relatively mild.

(It’s not been said what is supposed to happen with folk like teachers or care hone staff who are expected to be doing regular tests)

At the same time it’s also believed the Covid Passport scheme will be dumped.

As such I would urge RMwebbers to stock up over the next month or so.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• Moderators
16 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

What happens elsewhere has no bearing on the rules stipulated for this private event. I fully support Rob's intention to make the event as safe as possible for all and the rules are not asking anything difficult, uncomfortable or untoward.

1. LFT packs are still available free of charge (just ordered another pack now) so make sure you have some in hand ahead of the event. If you don't get 'free' ones it's evident that some retailers such as Boots will be selling them so there's no reason to abandon that intent. 

2. Covid passes - at least make sure you generate a pass (valid for 28 days) by 31st March or arrange for a printed version.

3. Masks - as long as everyone can comply with 1 and 2 then this can be left to personal choice.

These are the conditions of entry to the event even if we are down to very low levels of incidence.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

And if you're not happy with the approach, either because you feel the planned conditions are too lax, or too strong, you have the right to not attend.

My own thoughts I will keep to myself, but for what's worth, these are very simple precautions / actions to be taken.

1) Get a Covid Passport - done already. Only 5 minutes to do on the NHS site.

2) LFT - I will make sure I have stock in readiness. Again a couple of minutes to do.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3