Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The Great Bear, suspended between two cranes, somewhere at Swindon Works. But why?

c1910: GWR Trains: The Great Bear suspended between cranes (Postcard)

Swindon’s attempt at their version of a Newton’s Cradle ?

hat, coat, taxi ………. Gone 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

I had to look twice before I realised what's happening. No, he's not having a pee on the wall, it's an Ordnance Survey field surveyor, marking a reference point on a GWR Stock Shed for the updating of the definitive maps.

1953: Swindon Works, Swindon (OS "A Man with a Stick" series)

1953: Swindon Works, Swindon (OS "A Man with a Stick" series)

Lots more OS "A Man with a Stick" pics here, most aren't railway-related, but may appeal to people interested in maps and map-making.

A Man with a Stick! (1950s Ordnance Survey Revision Point Photographs)

• Like 9

Wos'appnin?

Looks like a brand-new 94xx pannier tank, all bright and shiny. But why parked on Faringdon Road on a Pickfords low-loader? Pulled over for speeding? Bald tyres on the trailer? Your guess is as good as mine.

Swindon Library & Information Service - ND: Faringdon Road, Swindon

ND: Faringdon Road, Swindon

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Aha! Now we know...

1962: City of Truro (3717) arriving at the GWR Railway Museum on Faringdon Road, Swindon.

... from the era when the GWR Railway Museum was still in the middle of town, on Faringdon Road, not where it is now.

1962: City of Truro (3717) arriving at the GWR Railway Museum on Faringdon Road, Swindon

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

On 18/03/2024 at 01:58, KeithMacdonald said:

Don't often see mixed gauge?

c1886: View of Swindon GWR Works from railway line

The single slip on the left shows how complicated it gets with dual gauge. The standard gauge crosses from right to left on the curve.

• Like 6

The long barrow crossing over all that complex trackwork is very inspiring! Make me want to try my hand at something like that on my layout (there's not nearly that much track, though).

14 minutes ago, F2Andy said:

The single slip on the left shows how complicated it gets with dual gauge. The standard gauge crosses from right to left on the curve.

Looking at this even more closely, the place where 3 rails intersect is a particularly nasty detail and I would not have approved that design - adjustments should have been made to the geometry to avoid it. It must rely in part on flange-tip running but there isn’t any proper provision of ramped grooves. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Looking at this even more closely, the place where 3 rails intersect is a particularly nasty detail and I would not have approved that design - adjustments should have been made to the geometry to avoid it. It must rely in part on flange-tip running but there isn’t any proper provision of ramped grooves. 

Just as well they didn't know any better in those days!

I suppose that such arrangements only started to give problems when someone twigged that they ought to! (Accident waiting to happen, and all that). 😀

CJI.

7 hours ago, Purnu said:

More variety from Scotland, this time courtesy of Paul Robertson.

D808x Shields Road

Must have been just about the earliest class 20s fitted with air. And some of the first mainline diesels fitted with air alongside the Consett 24s?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, 60B said:

Must have been just about the earliest class 20s fitted with air. And some of the first mainline diesels fitted with air alongside the Consett 24s?

Looks like it might even have had "high level" pipes added specifically for hauling the EMUs, maybe?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, F2Andy said:

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Just as well they didn't know any better in those days!

Diary note: At 23:59 on 31st March, send an email to Peco, asking when they are launching their new range of Peco Streamline Mixed-Gauge track.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Wos'appnin?

Looks like a brand-new 94xx pannier tank, all bright and shiny. But why parked on Faringdon Road on a Pickfords low-loader? Pulled over for speeding? Bald tyres on the trailer? Your guess is as good as mine.

ND: Faringdon Road, Swindon

Notice the "deliberate" mistake!

It's the wrong livery....

Jason

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, 25kV said:

Looks like it might even have had "high level" pipes added specifically for hauling the EMUs, maybe?

D8085/6 had the high-level pipes for hauling the units to/from Works, as part of the route was not wired.

(Click on the photo to view the Flickr comments)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 19/03/2024 at 21:00, Rich_F said:

If you fancied modelling sand traffic & 3rd rail at the same time!

See my latest layout under construction, second link below my signature.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Something for the track nerds, something for the HST nerds...

Locke's Sidings, Normanton 1978 by chris

Lovely! Of the two, please can I be in the track nerd category?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/03/2024 at 22:28, KeithMacdonald said:

Diary note: At 23:59 on 31st March, send an email to Peco, asking when they are launching their new range of Peco Streamline Mixed-Gauge track.

31 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Something for the track nerds, something for the HST nerds...

Locke's Sidings, Normanton 1978 by chris

Diversion days, Lockes Sidings, Normanton

Are you going to ask for the 4-way point at the same time? 😉

• Like 1