RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

Anybody tried different decoders in non fitted ones yet and what results? 

See previous 6 or so pages of this thread.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 1

@nickb4141 personally I used the team up at Rainbow Railways, I’ve never been a fan of using the biggest retailers as I feel you loose a personal touch. I’ve shopped with rainbow railways for some time among other retailers and you don’t get lost as just a customer number. (Not attempting to bad mouth rails). 

I used them for my cavalex purchase of which I got 4 56’s from them, all sent next day delivery, received the day after a friendly phone call to confirm they were charging my card and they arrived the next day. Always helpful and always a pleasure!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I should have taken a look, was in the Ipswich area a couple of weeks ago . Closest  to Swindon is Cheltenham model centre now….not a bad place for a trip out 

Cheltenham model Centre are not stocking the class 56s unfortunately. They will be stocking the class 60s though. Great model shop,  worth a visit if you're in the area, I'm very fortunate to have them on my door step.

36 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

You should be ok with any 10 function chip. Some re-mapping or re-programming might be needed tho depending if functions use logic level or are of different aux ports etc. but going off the list provided here they should all be accessible off the 21 pin interface. If in any doubt cavalex are working on a pre-programmed esu chip tho.

my pair will be fitted with Zimo MN340’s, however I’ll have to report back on the results as i wont be able to get at mine until the 17th. 

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, XChris said:

@nickb4141 personally I used the team up at Rainbow Railways, I’ve never been a fan of using the biggest retailers as I feel you loose a personal touch. I’ve shopped with rainbow railways for some time among other retailers and you don’t get lost as just a customer number. (Not attempting to bad mouth rails). 

I used them for my cavalex purchase of which I got 4 56’s from them, all sent next day delivery, received the day after a friendly phone call to confirm they were charging my card and they arrived the next day. Always helpful and always a pleasure!

Another vote for Mark and the team at Rainbow 🌈 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Marcoblanco said:

I'm using a Dapol decoder in mine as a temporary measure and have got front lights and fan control 

• RMweb Gold

If I am correct, my understanding is that a sound decoder with factory sound files will become available at some stage. I am sure that those who were not quick enough with the models already sound fitted will be welcoming this.

Roads and rails are offering this already, however the ESU passive radiator speaker may be out of stock (for now).

There is an alternative offering from DC Kits, which has been developed specifically for the Cavalex 56. This appears to have covered most of the existing functionality of the factory sound project, in particular the lighting options, but with differences leaning towards their usual format.

Has anyone gone down the DC Kits route? I would be intersted to know how the sound project compares.

1 hour ago, Yo said:

Cheltenham model Centre are not stocking the class 56s unfortunately. They will be stocking the class 60s though. Great model shop,  worth a visit if you're in the area, I'm very fortunate to have them on my door step.

I go a fair bit, it’s not too far.

curious decision seeing how popular they have been 

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I go a fair bit, it’s not too far.

curious decision seeing how popular they have been 

Perhaps it is just that they only decided to be a Cavalex retailer after orders for the 56 were closed?

Not long ago Cavalex were an unknown and with any unknown there is risk. Exactly the same as some individuals may have waited to see what early models were like, businesses may do the same. 

Now Cavalex have stamped their place on the market with several good models, perhaps we will see even more retailers. I hope so. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have just tried out my 56008 in BR blue, with sound... oh my word, what a sound!!!

I can honestly say without exaggeration that it took me right back to days being taken down the line by my late Dad in the 70's/80's and seeing 56s pass by on MGR coal trains.  The model has such a deep and realistic sound, especially that whistling turbo, that it literally had me on the edge of tears remembering those precious times with my Dad.

Thank you so much Cavalex and the team for an outstanding model, helping me recall such deep emotional memories.

Keep it up, future orders guaranteed - including the Class 60.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

For reasons I won't bore you with I've been doing a bit of research - I don't if these links have been shared before but they may come in useful...well I'm enjoying them...

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, XChris said:

Yes, pre-ordered from Rainbow and received the exact same customer service from Phil for my Colas 56, a real pleasure to deal with and will be using them again without hesitation!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

I have just tried out my 56008 in BR blue, with sound... oh my word, what a sound!!!

I can honestly say without exaggeration that it took me right back to days being taken down the line by my late Dad in the 70's/80's and seeing 56s pass by on MGR coal trains.  The model has such a deep and realistic sound, especially that whistling turbo, that it literally had me on the edge of tears remembering those precious times with my Dad.

Thank you so much Cavalex and the team for an outstanding model, helping me recall such deep emotional memories.

Keep it up, future orders guaranteed - including the Class 60.

All that from a toy train.....ain't it great!

Not a bad hobby is it?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Perhaps it is just that they only decided to be a Cavalex retailer after orders for the 56 were closed?

Not long ago Cavalex were an unknown and with any unknown there is risk. Exactly the same as some individuals may have waited to see what early models were like, businesses may do the same. 

Now Cavalex have stamped their place on the market with several good models, perhaps we will see even more retailers. I hope so. 

Roy

Well we've been around as long as Accurascale have (7 years, 8 since we announced our first model) but somehow always went under the radar. 🤷

Edited by RBE
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, RBE said:

Well we've been around as long as Accurascale have (7 years, 8 since we announced our first model) but somehow always went under the radar. 🤷

i Doubt that you’re under the radar now 👍

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

If I am correct, my understanding is that a sound decoder with factory sound files will become available at some stage. I am sure that those who were not quick enough with the models already sound fitted will be welcoming this.

Roads and rails are offering this already, however the ESU passive radiator speaker may be out of stock (for now).

There is an alternative offering from DC Kits, which has been developed specifically for the Cavalex 56. This appears to have covered most of the existing functionality of the factory sound project, in particular the lighting options, but with differences leaning towards their usual format.

Has anyone gone down the DC Kits route? I would be intersted to know how the sound project compares.

I mailed Road and Rails to see if their sound decoder supported all the functions. They have two options, one is the original Cavalex sound file or the Legomanbiffo which has been modified to drive the fans and the lights. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, RBE said:

Well we've been around as long as Accurascale have (7 years) but somehow always went under the radar. 🤷

Accurascale have amusingly developed quite a cult following, I especially loved the early days when everyone and their dog was wanting an Accurscale version of <insert loco here> insisting it would the best model ever.....before the guys had ever released anything.

On the Cavalex front the feedback in here for the 56 is so good that even though I have zero interest in the real 56's I'm quite tempted to get one of the models just for being such a well received release.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Kaput said:

Accurascale have amusingly developed quite a cult following, I especially loved the early days when everyone and their dog was wanting an Accurscale version of <insert loco here> insisting it would the best model ever.....before the guys had ever released anything.

On the Cavalex front the feedback in here for the 56 is so good that even though I have zero interest in the real 56's I'm quite tempted to get one of the models just for being such a well received release.

Cavalex have managed to avoid the fanboi following that AS seem to have generated in some quarters, it can get a bit "Life of Brian" on those forum threads at times. Cavalex have also delivered a model that has made everyone in the market sit up and take notice.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not had much time today but opened the box of my 56 today, large logo 093. But just enough time for a quick perusal think wow flick through the excellent looking booklet and put it back in the box.

Am looking forward to giving it a run.

How about 56099 (in coal of course) fiddlers ferry power station in the next run particularly as they are pulling it down now?

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Kaput said:

I know what you mean on that front, there is literally only one day in the two years I model (98/99) in which a class 56 operated in Cornwall, 56078 in unbranded triple grey arriving on a railtour to Fowey and returning light engine.  Pretty tenuous for justifying a purchase, but it’s enough that should I see enough on my current eBay auctions that end this weekend I will be ordering 56074  (assuming I can still find one) 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

All that from a toy train.....ain't it great!

Not a bad hobby is it?

Absolutely - though, to be fair, the realism of these 'toys' places them right up there in highly detailed model territory!

We all enjoy modelling for a wide range of reasons... taking our minds off other distressing things in life, to feel a sense of achievement in making something, to turn our memories into physical form to treasure them, especially as we forget more and more we as get older.

I just couldn't believe the emotion it had on me when it made me remember happy times with my Dad - good things!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RBE said:

I think Accurascale were taken more seriously (can’t think of a better way of putting it) after they delivered their first loco and I think getting your Class 56 our in the wild will see you seen in an even better light than your TEA, Warflat etc. have already achieved. 

All power to you, and I look forward to a second run of Class 56s and you announcing a Class 40 😉

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

56070 regauged to P4 and put to work on Fryers Lane.

IMG_20240203_193314.jpg.4f203c601566d98d2e1ae4a5f5d1d4f2.jpg

Initially I found the wheels a little tight to gauge (17.5mm back to back) but these were easily eased out to something closer to 17.7mm and it runs very nicely.

I found the standard DCC settings excellent giving an enjoyable and intuitive driving experience.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

At the end of the day, both Cavalex and Accurascale have delivered the goods so to speak, not much point in making comparisons, both produce excellent RTR models that just weren’t around even 10 years ago to this level!

It’s little wonder they are so popular considering what went before and that’s no disrespect to other manufacturers!

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1