Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

Guys, great to see the lengths you are going to. Just a thought… the large diesels I have from another manufacturer that have frame mounted cam coupling mechanisms all cause derailments on certain trains - this seems to really show up when hauling longish takes of bogie wagons (e.g. TEAs) whilst ok with short wheelbase wagons. My analysis is that the swing needed on the longer wagons puts the cam far out one way as enters the corner but as the wagons progress into the corner the coupling wants to swap sides but can’t due to the coupling cam being unable to

pass centre with the weight of the train on it.  I have modified some by filing bits of the cam off and lubricating. Thought worth sharing so you can verify that your definitive model of this class isn’t similarly afflicted!

M

Matt, cam coupling mounts allow a more realistic space between stock but were never intended to be used with tension lock couplers. If you are using a solid coupling like the Roco close couplers and you still have a problem then the manufacturer has messed up. If not, try some.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

Matt, cam coupling mounts allow a more realistic space between stock but were never intended to be used with tension lock couplers. If you are using a solid coupling like the Roco close couplers and you still have a problem then the manufacturer has messed up. If not, try some.

Prob should have clarified - I use Kadee couplers and have this issue. Realise this is not a fixed coupler. But if cams not suitable for tension locks (which is what they are supplied with) then surely shouldn’t be fitted? Are many people using fixed couplings on locos? I do use them within fixed rakes but not on locos.

The minor mods I’ve made to my cam

fitted locos has sorted the issues.  The point in the centre just needs to be less pointed (fractions of a mm off fixed it).

M

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening,

There's a great deal to like about these and I'm looking forward to getting the 2 I have on order. Are the samples representative of the final models? The body grill surround looks a little "heavy" on the blue sample and I'm wondering if there are some further tweaks or fit adjustments still to be done. Some of the photos of the unpainted samples earlier in this thread seem to show a finer border to the etch. Thanks

PJ10 

1 hour ago, PJ10 said:

Evening,

There's a great deal to like about these and I'm looking forward to getting the 2 I have on order. Are the samples representative of the final models? The body grill surround looks a little "heavy" on the blue sample and I'm wondering if there are some further tweaks or fit adjustments still to be done. Some of the photos of the unpainted samples earlier in this thread seem to show a finer border to the etch. Thanks

PJ10 

No they are not the final product, they are samples to show colour application for approval, and show tweaks done to the tooling since the EP samples. We also changed the etch design for the side grilles as we weren't happy with the old ones, however, as a first look at these new versions it is clear that they have not been reproduced correctly as per our design change, the frame has been made too thick, so will undergo further refinements prior to delivery. 

Edited by RBE
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Cavalex Class 56 - Roof fan grille mesh

953813450_56008(Roof)(1).jpg.6e2623e8052fc2871d2cda2bebdf1f79.jpg

Ahead of Warley we wanted to show some of the detail that has been included on our forthcoming Class 56. The first Engineering Prototype samples that we received in July were reviewed and comments passed to the factory for minor tooling tweaks and refinement. One of the areas that we were not happy with was the roof fan grille mesh. The mesh for both versions were redesigned and as can be seen from the photo of the roof of the Romanian built example 56008, the new etch really enhances the model with the authentic weave as per the prototype.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a Colas 56 on order to work my log train on the in-build club layout (based on the S&C), but I'm sure I could accommodate one on Deadmans Lane heading an infrastructure train from Toton to the north via Derby - passing the RTC site on the way............

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well done Cavalex. They look smashing.  I was thinking I can't afford to buy more trains. I then heard a story at my local hobby shop I believe it was. A man had his home paid off, the kids had left home and he wanted to start a model railway. 

He ran up a huge credit card bill of $30,000 all on model trains and refused to pay it off. All he suffered was bad credit. I ran this idea past my wife. She refuses to even think about it. A little rough of her in my humble opinion.  🙃

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2022 at 15:54, Grimleygrid said:

Cavalex Class 56 painted samples - Warley preview

1633799806_Cavalex56(2).jpg.da5ee04588b38f3f726740c720947343.jpg

We’re really looking forward to the Warley exhibition this weekend!

We will have all four painted class 56 samples on our stand B20 to view, as well as the latest news and samples from other projects!

They look smashing. The two on the left, please!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

I have a Colas 56 on order to work my log train on the in-build club layout (based on the S&C), but I'm sure I could accommodate one on Deadmans Lane heading an infrastructure train from Toton to the north via Derby - passing the RTC site on the way............

I’ll just leave this here for you 

56113 Derby rescuing 3Q01

The IM train failed at longbridge and I had to rescue it, the 37 lead onto the RTC as it was the DBSO at fault (the driver forgot to switch the battery charge switch on and it ran for a while before the batteries died shutting down the desk!) I can’t remember if I left the 56 in the station yard and walked back for it rather than going onto the RTC with it 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

So I’ve got to admit I wasn’t like wow about the idea of a new 56…

but this morning I’ve seen them in the flesh, and tbh there very good.

Really crisp and neat. These are first paint samples, the 3T grey needs a bit of work but this is nice..

the colas 56 has two different cab ends following an accident swap.

These and the newton chambers are the two highlights of my day so far 

E77A1D5C-6157-4190-A5BF-9512AFBFCE65.jpeg

957EF55F-803A-44BE-8453-EA03011A466E.jpeg

9210EEDC-DE7B-4E05-B3C4-5E265118E6AB.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Yes the roof colour is wrong on the triple grey due to the factory not having access to the correct colour that we specified in order to get the models here on time. They went for a best match, which isn't correct. The final colour will be correct, mixed specially using a colour swatch that we will send to them to match.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Is the centre pillar between the two windscreens supposed to be narrow at the top and wide at the bottom?  Is this specific to a cab variant I'm not familiar with?  I don't know the prototype very well but I can't say it's something I've noticed on the real thing or the CAD/DEMU samples on the previous pages? 

1188424453_Cavalex56.JPG.19c536c4a42be4d334cc793cb22afcc2.JPG

DEMU sample

1284437023_Cavalex562.JPG.119c1f7aeb54ba09fb27a69ad45475bc.JPG

Other than the grille which has already been discussed it looks stunning.  Very crisp and well finished, looking forward to them.  Apologies if this is a stupid question.  I've never seen a 56 in real life!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi Richard, the moulding hasn't changed, the windows are still parallel to each other, it's the paint application that hasn't gone quite straight giving the illusion that there is a taper. This will be fed back to the factory for the production run.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Cavalex were kind enough to lend 56049 for a test run on Deadmans Lane. With a bit of luck, they'll let us give a good run tomorrow as well. And then I can accidentally pack it away with my stock.........

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

The painted samples were looking beautiful today! I was saying to Will actually, ironically the lighter grey roof on the Trainload Coal one is the ideal basis for a faded roof weathering job after a good few years in service, I’d happily have it like that...you could sell them at a premium as part-weathered 🤣

Very much looking forward to these arriving now the appetite has been whetted further!

Cheers,

James

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, James Makin said:

The painted samples were looking beautiful today! I was saying to Will actually, ironically the lighter grey roof on the Trainload Coal one is the ideal basis for a faded roof weathering job after a good few years in service, I’d happily have it like that...you could sell them at a premium as part-weathered 🤣

Very much looking forward to these arriving now the appetite has been whetted further!

Cheers,

James

So, you're suggesting along with DCC Sound Fitted (SF), DCC Fitted (DCC) and DCC Ready (blank), the classifications of Pristine (blank), Weathered (W) and Weathered Ready (WR)... or combinations thereof!

Oi! Cavalex!  One SFWR for Mr Makin please! ;)

Seriously though, the models look great and hoping to get an order placed very soon once I decide suffix type (i.e. Sound or not)!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1