Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

Yes a strange choice by Hornby, I assume that their model was based on a reference example that was in the works and had the covers removed for maintenance. 

The bogies themselves on our 56 are full relief too with approx. 36 separate detail parts on each bogie which we are very much looking forward to seeing people's weathering work on. 

• Like 3

The bogies look great and they really capture the heavy look of the real thing. People a lot cleverer than me will really be able to weather them up well. I think Hornby probably scanned locos at Immingham where in the last years of their service with EWS there was a lot of bogie and wheels etc swaps between locos to ensure the maximum amount of wear was had. A lot of locos were left in stored status literally just dumped on a set of bogies with none of the niceties such as putting the covers back on. 

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if I’ve missed this on a previous comment, but one small thing I’ve noticed with the sample of 56093 in Large Logo is that the lower edge of the black windows surrounds follows the flat ledge on the cab front. As far as I can recall, the black surrounds followed the curve of the windscreen, 

It is just visible on this pic of 093 off Flikr

Class 56 56093 at Colchester Open Day

Perhaps a little clearer from this pic of 101 also off Flikr

AD269D27-5B6C-4DE2-ADCA-55CF2CE78553.jpeg.d9c52642918b55fd22bb3f3b8a3563cd.jpeg

I appreciate this may have been spotted on the sample, but if not then there you go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Apologies if I’ve missed this on a previous comment, but one small thing I’ve noticed with the sample of 56093 in Large Logo is that the lower edge of the black windows surrounds follows the flat ledge on the cab front. As far as I can recall, the black surrounds followed the curve of the windscreen, 

It is just visible on this pic of 093 off Flikr

Class 56 56093 at Colchester Open Day

Perhaps a little clearer from this pic of 101 also off Flikr

AD269D27-5B6C-4DE2-ADCA-55CF2CE78553.jpeg.d9c52642918b55fd22bb3f3b8a3563cd.jpeg

I appreciate this may have been spotted on the sample, but if not then there you go.

Yes we are aware of that. Our artwork follows the windscreens as you have noted but the factory applied it incorrectly on the sample. This has been picked up.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, RBE said:

Yes we are aware of that. Our artwork follows the windscreens as you have noted but the factory applied it incorrectly on the sample. This has been picked up.

I thought you would have picked up on that. I have the sound fitted one on order and felt it best to check. Many thanks.

Tim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For Cavalex

My 56 with sound has been on order since Jan 22 and I am looking forward to receiving it..!  Any news on the EM gauge wheel sets?  Nothing on the Rails website yet.

Patrick

On 24/01/2023 at 03:42, NFWEM57 said:

For Cavalex

My 56 with sound has been on order since Jan 22 and I am looking forward to receiving it..!  Any news on the EM gauge wheel sets?  Nothing on the Rails website yet.

Patrick

Hi Patrick, the wheelsets should be arriving at the retailers with the locomotive deliveries. We have recently had the replacement wheelset samples for review and they look and work superbly as demonstrated at the DEFine event at Risley recently where 56008 was converted to at the beginning of the show and then went on to run on P4 for the remainder of the day. We will be posting a how to video on replacing the wheelsets in the next week or so.

If you inform the retailer that you require EM wheelsets as well prior to delivery then the wheelsets can be packaged with your order.

Regards Cav

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Cavalex Class 56 Project update with Hornby Magazine

GBRF Class 56 Farewell Railtour Limited Edition Twin Pack

52625994837_ca6feb9553_k.jpg.52611621f085a2285053eb2c6bf1d06e.jpg

Photo courtesy Alan Padley

In 2018 GB Railfreight acquired 16 Class 56 locomotives from UK Rail Leasing to meet the increased demand for motive power as the company continued its growth in the sector. 
The plan was to rebuild the Class 56s based on the need to improve emissions, save costs through improved fuel economy and standardisation amongst the fleet. Classified as Class 69, the newly converted locomotives would incorporate various new parts including new engine and cooler group with the bogies and traction motors being retained but overhauled.

In April 2019, GB Railfreight announced that ten locomotives had been ordered, with the option for an addition six more, which would be rebuilt by Progress Rail at its Longport facility. 

The first of the Class, 69001, was released from Longport in February 2021 and moved to the Severn Valley Railway for testing. 69002 followed in March of the same year and as of January 2023, the fleet currently stands at seven operational locomotives.

To mark the end of Class 56 operations by GB Railfreight, UK Railtours in association with GBRf, arranged a final mainline railtour with two of GBRf’s Class 56 locomotives before the last of the fleet prepared for conversion to Class 69.

Ahead of the Railtour, 56081 and 56098 were painted by local staff as a one-off before withdrawal, in B.R. Blue and Large Logo respectively. The locomotives looked resplendent in their retrospective British Rail liveries and are a credit to the staff involved.

1081593366_Class56-Liverydrawingtemplate56081-56098(GBRF)08-02-2023(1).png.0609343675e4883dd374ae8d53dd154f.png

On the 14th of January 2023, 56081 and 56098 worked the GBRF Class 56 Farewell Tour from Wembley Central to Barrow Hill and return.

To commemorate this event and due to the growing number of requests received for Cavalex to produce a limited number of models of these fine locomotives, we are delighted to announce that we will be offering 56081 and 56098 as a limited edition pair thanks to GB Railfreight.

The GBRF Class 56 Farewell Railtour twin pack is available exclusively from our retailers listed below. Price for the double pack will be £379.90 for the DCC ready version, sound fitted price TBA.
We hope to provide an update on the sound fitted version of our Class 56 at Model Rail Scotland later this month.

●    Collett’s Models - https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk
●    C&M Models - https://candmmodels.co.uk
●    John Dutfield - https://www.johndutfieldmodelrailways.co.uk
●    KMS Railtech - https://www.kmsrailtech.co.uk
●    Rails of Sheffield - https://railsofsheffield.com
●    Rainbow Railways - https://rainbowrailways.co.uk
●    Trains4U - http://www.trains4u.com
●    Ultimate Model Railways - https://ultimatemodelrailways.com

We would like to pass on our thanks to GBRF, Bob Tiller and Tony Middleton for their help and support with producing these models.

• Like 16

Direct link to C&M Models online shop page for the GBRf set:  https://cmmodels.7.ekm.shop/cavalex-gbrf-farewell-twin-pack-56081-in-br-blue--56098-in-br-large-logo-18964-p.asp

Link to the pages for the other class 56s: https://cmmodels.7.ekm.shop/class-56-diesel-locomotive-575-c.asp  

Feel free to choose the "payment on delivery" option, and we will contact you when the models are available for sending out.

Our orders for all the 56s are likely to be finalised before the end of the February, so if you know you want one, it's time to get your order in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, I shouldn’t really but I’ve ordered a set from Mike at c+m, I can’t remember if I’ve got a colas one in order somewhere else though!

the challenge now though is to drive them both in these liveries before they are withdrawn for good!

• Like 3

Just now, 60800 said:

Fantastic announcement - is there an estimated delivery date for these additional two please? 

Cheers,

They will be manufactured in the same run as the main production batch so currently pencilled in to arrive in May maybe June China permitting.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

27 minutes ago, RBE said:

They will be manufactured in the same run as the main production batch so currently pencilled in to arrive in May maybe June China permitting.

Thanks, might just be able to slip these ones in then :)

Cheers,

I finally took the plunge this afternoon & pre-ordered 081 & 098 with DCC sound... Can't wait for them to arrive. One question please to Cavalex, is the sound going to be your own or are you sourcing it to LegoManBiffo or another outside company please? Many Thanks

24 minutes ago, vanbasher said:

I finally took the plunge this afternoon & pre-ordered 081 & 098 with DCC sound... Can't wait for them to arrive. One question please to Cavalex, is the sound going to be your own or are you sourcing it to LegoManBiffo or another outside company please? Many Thanks

The sound is our own custom files recorded from 56105 at Shrewsbury. ESU are building the project for us and tayloring the speaker set up to suit.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

I like it when locos are modelled to celebrate a railtour!

Will definitely look at getting a pair.

One question to Cavalex though - will the same DCC sound be put in both locos or will they differ slightly between the two?  I am thinking how they will sound double-heading as it can give a strange effect if they are identically sequenced/sounded.

Looking forward to this one - good choice!

Ixion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

I like it when locos are modelled to celebrate a railtour!

Will definitely look at getting a pair.

One question to Cavalex though - will the same DCC sound be put in both locos or will they differ slightly between the two?  I am thinking how they will sound double-heading as it can give a strange effect if they are identically sequenced/sounded.

Looking forward to this one - good choice!

Ixion.

Both locos will have the same file, I agree it would be good to have two different files however not really commercially viable at this point. It may be possible to tweak the CV settings to get them out of sync but we would have to look into that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1