Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

16 hours ago, RBE said:

We have no doubt a Bachmann 56 will follow their 69, based on logic alone. However we are still very confident in our model given what we have put into the project and how detailed and accurate the model has turned out to be.

I’ll predict the Bachmann one, if it arrives, won’t beat the Cavalex model on either quality or price.

I’m a sucker for a class 56. Got two on order (008 & 093) and eyeing up a third, so looking forward to these immensely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, IRC said:

I’ll predict the Bachmann one, if it arrives, won’t beat the Cavalex model on either quality or price.

I’m a sucker for a class 56. Got two on order (008 & 093) and eyeing up a third, so looking forward to these immensely.

To all intents and purposes the spec the Cavalex 56 is to a Bachmann SFX with the motorised fans (granted no film on the windows) at £70 odd under the SFX RRP, which we occasionally see the odd retailer discount to about £300ish but often RRP / £330. Would be a tough sell and that's before we get to the outstanding finesse and attention to detail that has been achieved on this model. The only advantages are a slightly more mature retailer network and a longer established brand, which aren't considerations for the majority, provided the product is quality. I reckon the Cavalex has killed off a Bachmann attempt, provided they can keep pace with demand.

IMO it's the only reason SLW hasn't dominated the 24/25 market and allowed Heljan / Bachmann in is the lack of retailers and the small production runs relative to demand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, E100 said:

Thank you so much. It's hugely appreciated as I realise it must be a faff to do. I will commit to buying at least one of them - sound fitted of course!

Morning E100, here are the end views for 56008, 56070, 56093 and 56120.

56008endview(1).png.66b57275b7009607a5a8e510dd38a64e.png

56070endview(1).png.53bfbfbec78c03eaa00602ae069a2237.png

56093endview(1).png.71d7ebef9e933d988dfb152835ed7632.png

56120endview(1).png.3f71aa8dc440c37b39117b746cd18fd1.png

I hope that helps.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/07/2023 at 16:10, RBE said:

We have no doubt a Bachmann 56 will follow their 69, based on logic alone. However we are still very confident in our model given what we have put into the project and how detailed and accurate the model has turned out to be.

To be honest, I'd be very surprised if Bachmann decide to a 56 now just because they're doing a 69. The body would be a completely new tool.

They haven't even done a new class 42 Warship since they released a newly tooled class 43 nearly ten years ago! The 42 is still essentially the old mainline body, and hasn't featured in the range for years! The external differences between the two are minimal, especially compared to the different 37's and 47's they're producing.

I appreciate there is a smaller market for Warships than grids, but I would think Hornby already have it covered for an overpriced, not as good as Cavalex class 56!

Cameron

Edited by Mophead45143
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Late to the party, but this looks excellent. Highly tempted to order (if there are any left!), but have a couple of questions..

* If I order a non-sound version, can sound be added later? I saw that Legomanbiffo lists the Cavalex 56 sound project, but with a minimum order of 5. Is that a preproduction thing or is there some form of licensing that means adding it after the fact isn't possible?

* Was there any update on how the samples handle R2 curves. Theoretically, all of mine are R3 or greater but I suspect there may be a couple of cases where it's a little tighter!

Thanks!

• Like 2

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for you interest, there should be models left, I believe that most retailers have ordered more locomotives than they have had pre-orders as they are expecting demand to be high. 

To answer your questions.

The none sound version can be upgraded later if necessary, there is space for an EM1 size speaker and also a spot to solder in a sugar cube speaker to the main board if that's the way you wanted to go, however ESU have warned us that combining the two will overdrive the V5 chip so we wouldn't recommend using both. The sound fitted version comes with a custom ESU speaker system.

As for sound by Legomanbiffo, no his files are not the same as the ones that will be on the loco from the factory, I assume it is just his normal class 56 files, he has had no involvement in the project. The sound project that we are using has been custom recorded by ESU and ourselves at Shrewsbury, and put together to work as an organic system with the locomotive and it's features. Whilst Biffos sound will probably work fine with our loco they are not custom to our model.

As for radius, we have run the locomotive extensively on various layouts, I believe the Barrow Hill one has 2nd radius but don't quote me, and have encountered no issues so far. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/07/2023 at 16:10, RBE said:

Chin up..

Bachmann have missed chances on models several times… a 46xxx did not produce a 78xxx, the 76xxx did not produce a 77xxxx nor did a new Ivatt 2-6-2T chassis produce an 84xxx. The chance of a WD2-10-0 was within reach of a WD2-8-0.
Whilst doing a Hall, they didn't go all in on the GWR standardisation so no Saint, Grange, Manor, 2-6-0, 2-6-2T, indeed even the Hall tender hasn’t reach potential.

Whilst in modern image it took a decade of begging to get a sealed beam 45/0 but we are still to see a sealed beam  45/1 and its 30 years since the last sealed beam 46… and its a relatively small leap from an 85 to an 81.

On the EMUs, the 455, 456, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321 was a missed oppourtunity for want of widening the the class 150 tooling suit.

So on balance I think the 56 is safe as we havent seen a 69 yet, and think it may take a while yet.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2023 at 20:51, RBE said:

The none sound version can be upgraded later if necessary, there is space for an EM1 size speaker and also a spot to solder in a sugar cube speaker to the main board if that's the way you wanted to go, however ESU have warned us that combining the two will overdrive the V5 chip so we wouldn't recommend using both. The sound fitted version comes with a custom ESU speaker system.

As for sound by Legomanbiffo, no his files are not the same as the ones that will be on the loco from the factory, I assume it is just his normal class 56 files, he has had no involvement in the project. The sound project that we are using has been custom recorded by ESU and ourselves at Shrewsbury, and put together to work as an organic system with the locomotive and it's features. Whilst Biffos sound will probably work fine with our loco they are not custom to our model.

Hi,

Does this mean you intend to offer for sale ESU Loksound V5 decoders preloaded with your sound project plus your custom ESU speaker system separately?

Thanks,

Peter

8 minutes ago, Chilly said:

56091 - fits in with my theme of still running locomotives and just looked so good

Excellent, that loco looks really good in the flesh and comes with the Driver Wayne Gaskell etched plates to finish it off. We have just had that loco on the rolling road this morning with the latest sound file from ESU blown into it and it sounds superb. 😁

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, RBE said:

Excellent, that loco looks really good in the flesh and comes with the Driver Wayne Gaskell etched plates to finish it off. We have just had that loco on the rolling road this morning with the latest sound file from ESU blown into it and it sounds superb. 😁

I will be following the class 60 project with interest and scorched debit card 🤔

• Like 4

On 08/08/2023 at 15:37, RBE said:

Would love to see 56120 when you have a sample. :-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Making Tracks 3

IMG_1295.jpg.e0df5e504e80d093b1ca6469f0424bbb.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg.2531cc8011d3f2a57467b4ec3da965f1.jpg

Thanks again to the Railnuts team for a great day on Making Tracks 3 yesterday. It was great to see our Class 56 samples out through their paces on full length trains!

Making Tracks will be at Chester Cathedral until 2nd September 2023, it is well worth a visit!

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Just in case anyone hadn't seen this. Great video with some more background to the development of the model. End of October/ start of November is the latest projected arrival.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2