Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

13 hours ago, pheaton said:

but the speculative side of me is wondering if Bachmann are waiting to see if container prices will drop post christmas....

At this point for stuff shipping from China we are already into post Christmas as it would appear unlikely anything shipping today from China could be guaranteed to arrive before Christmas.

More likely that either the factory is shipping stuff as it is finished or the entire production run didn't make it into the same shipment.

• RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2021 at 22:59, Paul.Uni said:

Release dates on the Bachmann website:

• Nov/Dec: Intercity
  • Dec/Jan: BR Green, BR Blue, BR Railfreight Construction Sector & BR Railfreight Distribution European

On 12/11/2021 at 13:14, curlypaws said:

So the last shall be first, and the first last...

I wonder if this is purely a reflection of the fact that the InterCity variant has not yet recorded a delay and therefore may later end up being shifted to Jan/Feb 2022 (given that it was previously scheduled to be one of the last to appear). Or has it somehow managed to jump to the head of the queue? I'll not get too excited about seeing my InterCity Class 47 before Xmas just yet.

Since Paul.Uni posted his update, the Bachmann website has indeed been updated again and the INTERCITY version is now shown as Jan/Feb.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, owentherail said:

so email from a retailer saying it was imminent was a lie !!!

Calm down, I'm sure it will have been based on best information available at the time. The flow of containers into the country is still less than entirely predictable. It may be best to consider those things before making strident accusations.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

The flow of containers into the country is still less than entirely predictable. 

I have had an email today and between now and Xmas there is approx 10 container spaces left from some ports which shows what we are having to contend with and the latest cosy was 17900 USD compared to last June 2020 when they were 2900USD and this isn’t taken into consideration that the production is on 3 days due to energy issues. However to be here in the next 5/6 weeks is imminent in they days 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Calm down, I'm sure it will have been based on best information available at the time. The flow of containers into the country is still less than entirely predictable. It may be best to consider those things before making strident accusations.

Only thinking they are in the country before they made the statement of " imminent" they know the container situation as mutch as anyone. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, owentherail said:

Only thinking they are in the country before they made the statement of " imminent" they know the container situation as mutch as anyone. 

Imminent is an arbitrary or subjective term; liar is not.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

At least the delay gives some people more time to save up................................................

That would be pleasing some of the people, some of the time…..

and we all know how that turns out…..:blink:

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

18 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

I have had an email today and between now and Xmas there is approx 10 container spaces left from some ports which shows what we are having to contend with and the latest cosy was 17900 USD compared to last June 2020 when they were 2900USD and this isn’t taken into consideration that the production is on 3 days due to energy issues. However to be here in the next 5/6 weeks is imminent in they days 

There has been an item on the BBC Anglia site this week, that Felixstowe Port has moved thousands of empty containers to off Port sites in Suffolk, including two old bomber airfields that are now industrial sites. Presumably to make space to enable incoming ships to be offloaded. Seems there has been difficulty in getting empty containers on to vessels for shipping to Asia. Must only add to the container availability problem.

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, rembrow said:

There has been an item on the BBC Anglia site this week, that Felixstowe Port has moved thousands of empty containers to off Port sites in Suffolk, including two old bomber airfields that are now industrial sites. Presumably to make space to enable incoming ships to be offloaded. Seems there has been difficulty in getting empty containers on to vessels for shipping to Asia. Must only add to the container availability problem.

I wonder if at $17k, a container is becoming a disposable commodity for one way use.

if the used ones are all here, and stuff is still coming from there, someone over there is probably working overtime making containers, which at some point becomes a glut thats not worth sending back.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I wonder if at $17k, a container is becoming a disposable commodity for one way use.

if the used ones are all here, and stuff is still coming from there, someone over there is probably working overtime making containers, which at some point becomes a glut thats not worth sending back.

The other problem with this is the use of valuable hgv time and resources. One of the sites being used is Eye airfield, some 35 miles from Felixstowe, another is Ipswich port, presumably the West Bank terminal, just off the A14. Presumably hgvs  have been doing shuttle runs with the empties. The build up of emties has probably occurred with the delays experienced at Felixstowe, leading to some shipping operators, such as Maersk,  reducing the number of vessels that use Felixstowe on direct shipments from Asia, putting UK cargo into Rotterdam, where it them gets on to feeder services. This reduces the services available to ship empties

Edited by rembrow
Addition

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I purchased a shipped once from China 20' container 4-5 years ago (it's passport only expired last year, but it's been sat ashore the whole time) for £2k so they've been disposable for quite some time.  That price is presumably for a load in a 40' one from China.

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Imminent is an arbitrary or subjective term; 

Indeed. What is unfortunate is that Bachmann used the term when they first started the new quarterly announcements when it did mean arrival before the next such announcement, so people may understandably expect it to mean the same now, or for Bachmann - knowing the current container delays - to use another term instead.

For me what matters is that the items are on a ship in transit when using "imminent", i.e. delivery is no longer in Kader or Bachmann's hands but the shipping companies.

• Like 2

I have resided myself to the fact that they will arrive when they arrive!

May seem a bit weird to some but i long since gave up on manufacturers estimated, projected and imminent arrival timescales. The current situation in the far east means that EVERY manufacturer will be suffering the same fate. 

We will get them and we will enjoy them im sure.In the mean time however, im looking to a Christmas void of Bachmann, SLW and other companies offerings. They will turn up in 2022.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 16/11/2021 at 16:29, frobisher said:

I purchased a shipped once from China 20' container 4-5 years ago (it's passport only expired last year, but it's been sat ashore the whole time) for £2k so they've been disposable for quite some time.  That price is presumably for a load in a 40' one from China.

Its a shame they cant be flat packed and sent back, instead of crushed and sent back.

On 16/11/2021 at 13:52, rembrow said:

Maybe we should horde them and when the world has a shortage, capitalise on it and charge loads!

Needs another thread.

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/12/2021 at 19:33, Markwj said:

Watching the virtual model event it seems from the Bachmann update that the 47’s should be in shops within the next week or so. 

If its true,  then great ! 

It would be nice to have something to open on the big day ......other than yet more socks :)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2021 at 19:33, Markwj said:

Watching the virtual model event it seems from the Bachmann update that the 47’s should be in shops within the next week or so. 

if it's not can i call you a liar? ;)

Edited by pheaton
  • Funny 5

According to Rails, the following are 'expected very soon':

• 35-410 - Class 47/0 D1565 BR Two-Tone Green (SYP)
  • 35-410SF - Class 47/0 D1565 BR Two-Tone Green (SYP) DCC Sound
  • 35-411 - Class 47/0 47012 BR Blue Diesel Locomotive
  • 35-418 - Class 47/0 47004 BR Railfreight Construction Sector
  • 35-418SF - Class 47/0 47004 BR Railfreight Construction Sector DCC Sound
  • 35-419 - Class 47/3 47375 'Tinsley Traction Depot' BR RF Distribution European
  • 35-419SF - Class 47/3 47375 'Tinsley Traction Depot' BR RF Distribution European DCC Sound

13 minutes ago, Anadin Dogwalker said:

Any idea what happened to 47711 Greyfriars Bobby?

Neill Horton

The two old tooling models have been withdrawn. However they will be replaced by models from the new tooling. We won't know when they are coming until they appear in the quarterly announcements.

The livery sample was shown at the BCC members event at the Great Central Railway.

Edited by Paul.Uni
Livery Sample info and link added
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

According to Rails, the following are 'expected very soon':

• 35-410 - Class 47/0 D1565 BR Two-Tone Green (SYP)
  • 35-410SF - Class 47/0 D1565 BR Two-Tone Green (SYP) DCC Sound
  • 35-411 - Class 47/0 47012 BR Blue Diesel Locomotive
  • 35-418 - Class 47/0 47004 BR Railfreight Construction Sector
  • 35-418SF - Class 47/0 47004 BR Railfreight Construction Sector DCC Sound
  • 35-419 - Class 47/3 47375 'Tinsley Traction Depot' BR RF Distribution European
  • 35-419SF - Class 47/3 47375 'Tinsley Traction Depot' BR RF Distribution European DCC Sound

no deluxe ones?