Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

6 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Happy in some ways that my local emporium has sold out of two tone sound fitted so I have no excuse to tell Mrs P I'm 'just nipping out Xmas shopping'

Probably just as well as she correctly identified each of my parcel deliveries  this week as 'a loco shaped box, a DVD shaped package and 'books from Strathwood' - they know more about what we're buying than we think :biggrin_mini2:

My local emporium is actually 5 minutes away from my front door (The Signal Box in Anstey).  They don’t have an online shop and so they usually have items in stock which have sold out on pre-order elsewhere.

So, having decided I want a Deluxe 47012 I thought my only chance to get one would be from them. Phoned them today and was told, in quite a forceful way, that they hadn’t ordered any of the new 47 as “they are too expensive”!!  Must admit that is a new one on me, have never come across that before.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Must admit that is a new one on me, have never come across that before.

There's so many chicken and eggs and horses and carts in that one!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

My local emporium is actually 5 minutes away from my front door (The Signal Box in Anstey).  They don’t have an online shop and so they usually have items in stock which have sold out on pre-order elsewhere.

So, having decided I want a Deluxe 47012 I thought my only chance to get one would be from them. Phoned them today and was told, in quite a forceful way, that they hadn’t ordered any of the new 47 as “they are too expensive”!!  Must admit that is a new one on me, have never come across that before.

It’s certainly pitched at an ‘interesting’ price point even allowing for its specification. The sound fitted is in the ballpark for comparable Type 4 size loco’s but the standard DC version is strongly priced at over £200 and looks expensive compared to forthcoming new models from Accurascale who have already proved that similar specified models can be brought to the market for less. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

It’s certainly pitched at an ‘interesting’ price point even allowing for its specification. The sound fitted is in the ballpark for comparable Type 4 size loco’s but the standard DC version is strongly priced at over £200 and looks expensive compared to forthcoming new models from Accurascale who have already proved that similar specified models can be brought to the market for less. 

I agree with what you say, but as some models sold out on pre-order IIRC, then you can hardly blame Bachmann for upping the ante, they are a business after all. Too expensive for me personally so no sale.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

If you're still looking, Trains4u (for example) have the full fat 47012 available:-

http://www.trains4u.com/p/53725/Bachmann-35-411SF-Class-47-0-47012-BR-Blue

• Agree 1

It’s not the cost of one that worries me - I’m worried I will convince myself it is way better than the old Bach 47 so I’ll have to upgrade the fleet. I’m not sure how many 47s I have…. Accura have given me similar issues with my 37s. Please stop……

• Friendly/supportive 2

I got mine yesterday, the green version. According to SHMBO it's to noisy! I am having to get used to controlling it. After one full lap of the loft I turned the control back to zero, it toon over a lap to stop! But I do like the cab windows and fans...

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, everyone, I bought the green example from Monk Bar Models, York, yesterday. It runs very smoothly and quietly. Here’s a few photo’s which I hope will be of interest. 

5217FBE8-ADC7-46A7-870A-7A4926608DAC.jpeg.76cec5b1a90b2e1091156d4ba99bde9c.jpeg

This shows the cab with the interior lit, externally, by a torch - the model was not on my layout for these photo’s.

4C936B86-85D2-4B7E-8932-0AF3E63B460B.jpeg.44febe54358c8562fa1854e3fd5c172f.jpeg

24F0865C-1614-44DB-8B5B-9A2AC90DF5DB.jpeg.df38cb4135a8ec6182c7a0bedafbe64c.jpeg

9918D2BE-2FE6-4D6E-B1AB-F049E375E058.jpeg.ed1962686a3e81cd5d83c3085efaf64d.jpeg

94AB7F77-EDC6-4D84-8F75-D47F27FE7E9A.jpeg.3bfcf54348592d9f5738c5ab4cee918d.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Having seen one at close quarters , I wouldn’t rush to replace mine unless I found the money for the gold tinted version. Certainly the detail is better other than the front which, as alluded to before , has a few shortcomings ( pretty much same as old one ).

i would love to know if the bogie and drive technicals have been upgraded - the possibility of a wobbly runner removed by a better system for holding the axles in the bogie frames ? And running wise - my old ones don’t match a good Hornby one so has the drive chain been improved ?

Having listened to one of the sound fitted models on a YT video this evening, I'm quite sure the sound file is from the previous model! Not overly impressed I must admit and won't be rushing out to buy one in a hurry. Probably better off getting a standard model and fitting sound separately.

5 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Not having an online shop means that they are reliant on passing trade, and these aren't really priced at impulse purchase levels  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 11B said:

I got mine yesterday, the green version. According to SHMBO it's to noisy! I am having to get used to controlling it. After one full lap of the loft I turned the control back to zero, it toon over a lap to stop! But I do like the cab windows and fans...

Ian

Ah, with these latest decoders you actually have to use F2 as an active braking function - it slows the loco as well as giving the brake squeal.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Chris56057 said:

Having listened to one of the sound fitted models on a YT video this evening, I'm quite sure the sound file is from the previous model! Not overly impressed I must admit and won't be rushing out to buy one in a hurry. Probably better off getting a standard model and fitting sound separately.

Cheaper to get the soundfitted model and then get the chip reblown if you dont like it. Not sure if these are Zimo or ESU fitted but whichever they are using the 'full fat' versions which retail at around £100. The DC 47 is £204 whilst the sound fitted is £289 so the chip is around £85. And you might find you like the Bachmann project anyway so saving the cost of the reblow :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone received notification of their Rails of Sheffield Class 47 starting its journey to them? Having pre-ordered a lovely two-tone green model I'm casting envious glances at all those who already have theirs.

Yes, I could ask them. But I'm sure that the last thing they need is a lot of "are they there yet" chasers.

Edited by curlypaws

31 minutes ago, curlypaws said:

Has anyone received notification of their Rails of Sheffield Class 47 starting its journey to them? Having pre-ordered a lovely two-tone green model I'm casting envious glances at all those who already have theirs.

Yes, I could ask them. But I'm sure that the last thing they need is a lot of "are they there yet" chasers.

I've haven't heard anything from Rails so far, I have a 47004 on preorder.  I am beginning to think it will be after christmas now.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, curlypaws said:

Spoke to them yesterday and they had had a MASSIVE delivery from Bachmann and were still sorting it so none had been sent out at that stage.

• Like 1

A few shots of a bog standard DC model, just a few snaps and test run till the big day. First impressions, excellent rendition of the class, detail is superb. 
Quick test run showed it out the box to be smooth and silent, a welcome surprise against recent Bachmann models (DMUs in particular).

Now can’t wait to see more liveries and variations, however I can’t see a fleet wide replacement being needed, other than early 47/57 Hybrids being modded.

C0961E30-FE3E-457A-83B6-954A9D96F29B.jpeg

96C1FD7C-4FA5-4494-8A3A-64FC2378E8DE.jpeg

68A92635-86DE-4908-AA89-757DE081C6BC.jpeg

F546B0EA-FEEC-4EE2-BE7C-AF3DDA5235F4.jpeg

A55A10EF-824A-4712-9B1F-41064E1E066A.jpeg

6D993E9C-1691-46F9-9A67-75FD64187066.jpeg

C1B114FF-C21A-42B9-BE24-7112399A3F36.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

A passing visit to Tennents managed to lighten my wallet by a considerable sum. Funnily enough though, when faced with the Deluxe and standard sound models, I actually found I didn't like the fans. Without the serck shutters opening they just seem wrong, and are far too fast. I think if they ran at a fairly slow speed, so looked more like the fans shutting down, I'd have been swayed. That saved me a tidy bit of money, I wasn't expecting to come out with the 'lesser' model.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I’d be interested in opinions on whether the cosmetic improvements over the old Bachmann 47 are ,as seems to be the case with some of you,a significant gain.Also,does the use of the improved drive train with the provision of metal gear assembly etc. also significantly improve the model’s performance ? Thanks 

I have a couple of these on order, but having done a full audit of my existing fleet it was clear that wholesale replacement was over the top - I selected a few that were surplus and moved them on but these will coexist with older Bachmann and a couple of Heljan examples.