Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, curlypaws said:

Has anyone received notification of their Rails of Sheffield Class 47 starting its journey to them? Having pre-ordered a lovely two-tone green model I'm casting envious glances at all those who already have theirs.

Yes, I could ask them. But I'm sure that the last thing they need is a lot of "are they there yet" chasers.

Yes, just had statement of dispatched.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I’d be interested in opinions on whether the cosmetic improvements over the old Bachmann 47 are ,as seems to be the case with some of you,a significant gain.Also,does the use of the improved drive train with the provision of metal gear assembly etc. also significantly improve the model’s performance ? Thanks 

2006290240_IMG_0450(2).jpg.127b625b77b4ae157767b8b38c491967.jpg

The first half of just the bogie tells you all you need to know really. Buffers are more refined too. The body of the older 47 stands up to the new model well. The chassis is where the new duff trounces the old model, it makes the previous iteration look sparse and the running quality is considerably better. My other Bachmann 47s are all a bit growly in comparison. Its a weighty beast too with a bit more grunt than the older model.

Its a worthy upgrade, and a very clear one at that IMHO. But as good as it is, I won't be running off to replace any of my existing models. I only bought 012 because its in its Bescot guise for 1978-81 which is pretty much perfect for me.

Edited by Zunnan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Not having an online shop means that they are reliant on passing trade, and these aren't really priced at impulse purchase levels  

Partly, but people also travel from far and wide to pick up stuff they’ve pre-ordered by telephone. When I was there last week a bloke arrived who had cycled down that morning from BURNLEY!!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Is it an optical illusion, or are the wheels on 47012 smaller in diameter, making the model sit noticeably lower? (Compare alignment of buffers).

CJI.

The wheels are the same size. The older model sits slightly taller but the effect is offset somewhat by the cowling not being seated correctly due to the cab front steps having been re-glued some time ago so the chassis no longer seats properly in the LL duff.

11 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

The wheels are the same size. The older model sits slightly taller but the effect is offset somewhat by the cowling not being seated correctly due to the cab front steps having been re-glued some time ago so the chassis no longer seats properly in the LL duff.

A problem you may get again as they don’t seem to have changed them 

9 hours ago, Zunnan said:

The cowling is too deep on the old model. I have managed to modify one of mine by cutting a slice out with a slitting disc and then re-gluing it. That made a huge difference. I also produced an etching for the step behind the buffers which is missing from both models.

Mark

Edited by Mark

15 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I’d be interested in opinions on whether the cosmetic improvements over the old Bachmann 47 are ,as seems to be the case with some of you,a significant gain.Also,does the use of the improved drive train with the provision of metal gear assembly etc. also significantly improve the model’s performance ? Thanks 

Yes! The running quality from the box was one of the smoothest I’ve experienced, even without running in! I’m interested in seeing when one gets fully detailed and weathered compared to a detailed and weathered existing tool. The underframe is incredibly more detailed, but on all black models is hard to see. (Not really a problem as so many previous Bachmann duffs had underframes like Christmas trees). But it does mean that at distance you do not appreciate the work Bachmann have done on this area. The general increase in finesse is much appreciated but expected after so many years and an expensive time in development. The only thing that seems to be a problem if one can call it that, is the snowplough and separately fitted front steps. But those can be easily swapped and changed. 

Like with most things, it’s perspective. Did the lack of differing eth fittings annoy you on the old model? The placement of the tailights and buffer cowling thickness? If these didn’t really upset you on the older model and you aren’t fussed about the DCC functionality, the older model does look like a good bargain atm. 
Will be interesting to see how the Heljan model compares! Cheers 

• Thanks 1

Dave at Dean park has done a great comparison video on YT.

On viewing that I’m of the opinion that in the future if my current 47s expire I would explore putting newer chassis under older bodies as I think the chassis is worth it, body less so.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Dave at Dean park has done a great comparison video on YT.

On viewing that I’m of the opinion that in the future if my current 47s expire I would explore putting newer chassis under older bodies as I think the chassis is worth it, body less so.

Thanks for flagging that YT review up - very helpful 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

The running quality from the box was one of the smoothest I’ve experienced

Sadly not for me - the locomotive ran smoothly but on stopping came to a halt and then jumped forward 1-3 times. And then on subsequent start it leapt forward before gradually pulling away. I tried cleaning track and wheels but even with extensive running in, it still happens. It is going back - my first faulty Bachmann. :(

I also see what Dean Park's review meant about the braking distance - you do need to plan ahead to try to bring it to a halt at a particular point - even using F2 heavily (and not counting the leaps forward afterwards).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a play with my deluxe 47012 today and I am very impressed. The glazing looks far better in the flesh than some photos make it look and is just as I remember them looking. The sounds (on an ESU Plux22) are excellent, I just need to adjust individual volumes. 

The chassis is much more detailed and the body has some improvements that do make it better. 

Overall, it won’t see me change my fleet of current models, but any new 47s will be Bachmann deluxe versions. 

Roy

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, curlypaws said:

Sadly not for me - the locomotive ran smoothly but on stopping came to a halt and then jumped forward 1-3 times. And then on subsequent start it leapt forward before gradually pulling away. I tried cleaning track and wheels but even with extensive running in, it still happens. It is going back - my first faulty Bachmann. :(

I also see what Dean Park's review meant about the braking distance - you do need to plan ahead to try to bring it to a halt at a particular point - even using F2 heavily (and not counting the leaps forward afterwards).

If its sound fitted I wonder if it’s worth doing the ESU auto tune routine first? Might just be a little stiffness in the mechanism that needs compensating for.  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I wondered that too - but even after the ESU auto tune it was just the same. I tried to convince myself that it was slightly better, but realised that (at the price) I really just needed to bite the bullet and send it back. Hopefully a replacement will be fine - nobody else seems to have had issues. I think I was just unlucky.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I got the green sound fitted one today,  great detail but it's what you expect at that price. I really think at the prices the dcc ones should have stay alive

The sound is also too loud and will need turning down 

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, russ p said:

The sound is also too loud and will need turning down

Yes, I quickly reached for F19. I guess it is good that there is a wide range of volumes - but I'm slightly surprised that they seem to have defaulted it to the loudest!

On 18/12/2021 at 13:01, Class 158 productions said:

A few shots of a bog standard DC model, just a few snaps and test run till the big day.

68A92635-86DE-4908-AA89-757DE081C6BC.jpeg

Is that square recess with a central pip 'A Thing', or is it the tooling's moulding gate?

The Nim.