Palbrick B in OO gauge

Paul.Uni

43 minutes ago, 26power said:

However, the brick load is higher than the wagon sides, which seems a bit unlikely to me?

Bear in mind that the bricks were palletised, and secured with tight metal banding.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

As an aside, a reasonable run of these wagons can be seen at around 3:13 in the following...

Would three of them be seen in a train or did the run in bigger numbers.  Were they still around in original condition in 68/69?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, russ p said:

Would three of them be seen in a train or did the run in bigger numbers.  Were they still around in original condition in 68/69?

On page 5 of this thread I put my image up of a Hymek D7095 passing through Oxford hauling some empty Palbrick's back to Calvert. I can't remember how many were in the train as I was really photographing the loco but the image shows their is at least five in the consist. The date was 1967 so they may just fall in to your date period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/04/2023 at 09:46, Phil Bullock said:

Are there any photos of finished CoIl P model wagons please? The photos on the web of wagons without sides are unpainted…,

On 20/04/2023 at 14:44, Trains4U said:

do you mean the frame bodied Palbrick wagons?

On 20/04/2023 at 16:37, Phil Bullock said:

Thanks Gareth …. I do indeed are they appearing as Coil Ps or will I be doing some modelling? 

On 20/04/2023 at 18:59, hmrspaul said:

They are modelling the Freightliner match wagons, as in all their adverts. No sign of a Coil P being produced. I don't know that any Coil Ps were ex Palbrick Cs with clasp brake https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcoilp

Paul

OK, call me confused, why are they making coil loads for freightliner match wagons?

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

OK, call me confused, why are they making coil loads for freightliner match wagons?

Mike.

IIRC the original intent might have been Coil Ps Mike hence my question. Never mind will use their coil loads for my bashed Coil Js and look at the bashing possibilities for Coil Ps starting with are any transfers out there…?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

So they've dropped a brick.

If those red things are meant to be bricks they are certainly the weirdest bricks I have ever seen.  And loaded in a strange way.  EFE got it right ages ago with a brick load correctly represented on a model lorry, i.e. stacked on their edge.

17 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Bear in mind that the bricks were palletised, and secured with tight metal banding.

CJI.

Metal banding on its own would damage the bricks which I presume is why timber packing was inserted between the pallets.    Of course nowas days palletised loads of. bricke are wrapped in plastic with plastic with sometmes soft banding inside that to help keep them stable and delivery lorries can handle the pallets with ttheir own lifting gear.  LBC were notoriously anti palletisation in the mid 1960s for some reason and I wonder if that had anything to do with rail loading experience (which I believe used non-standard size pallets in any case)?  All of this might help explain why Palbricks didn't last oin brick traffic especially in view of the quantities of bricks needed on most sites at that time.

The building industry was notoriously conservative in its outlook in many areas but especially in what we now call logistics and simply couldn't handle palletised materials on site back then - everything was unloaded by hand.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

I've just noticed in the video link I posted above that some of the removable sides seem to have been replaced upside down.  Now there's a detail for modellers! 😎

It would OK for the empty wagons, but presumably not for loaded ones because the forklift prongs would hit the bricks?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

The building industry was notoriously conservative in its outlook in many areas but especially in what we now call logistics and simply couldn't handle palletised materials on site back then - everything was unloaded by hand.

When my parents' new house was being built in 1959, by a local builder, as part of a development of around fifty houses, all bricks were delivered to site in palletised form.

I recall steel banding, and there may have been some protective strip wood on corners but, when the strapping was cut, a significant proportion of the stack would collapse.

The labourers then had to stack the bricks, whilst rejecting the significant number of bricks which broke when the pallet stack collapsed. (These latter found their way into hard-core under solid floors).

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Just received mine. All three wagons had bits fallen or broken off, but that seems to be par for the course these days. Easy enough to fix, but should we have to? They certainly look the part, and the price feels reasonable, but I don’t think I’d pre-order one of their locos.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Received mine via Rails of Sheffield on Thursday. Nothing detached or broken, so I suppose I must be lucky. Apart from the odd errors in painting, they are quite nice models. I wonder if they sent for the less common Palbrick C because they might have plans for the  underframe. 

On 22/04/2023 at 10:48, The Stationmaster said:

If those red things are meant to be bricks they are certainly the weirdest bricks I have ever seen.  And loaded in a strange way.  EFE got it right ages ago with a brick load correctly represented on a model lorry, i.e. stacked on their edge.

Metal banding on its own would damage the bricks which I presume is why timber packing was inserted between the pallets.    Of course nowas days palletised loads of. bricke are wrapped in plastic with plastic with sometmes soft banding inside that to help keep them stable and delivery lorries can handle the pallets with ttheir own lifting gear.  LBC were notoriously anti palletisation in the mid 1960s for some reason and I wonder if that had anything to do with rail loading experience (which I believe used non-standard size pallets in any case)?  All of this might help explain why Palbricks didn't last oin brick traffic especially in view of the quantities of bricks needed on most sites at that time.

These wagons weren't intended for ordinary house bricks - too cheap and usually produced locally well into the 1960s. They were for the more expensive engineers and firebrick bricks which had only a few manufacturer's and therefore long traffic flows to where they were used. BR knew a lot about the brick industry and were realistic. And it was the manufacturer's that appear to have selected 7 different pallet sizes so requiring 3 different Palbricks. 

Interesting to see that one of the loads converts the Match wagons to Coils - as I mentioned I'm unsure any Palbrick C became Coil Ps. 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

These wagons weren't intended for ordinary house bricks - too cheap and usually produced locally well into the 1960s. They were for the more expensive engineers and firebrick bricks which had only a few manufacturer's and therefore long traffic flows to where they were used. BR knew a lot about the brick industry and were realistic. And it was the manufacturer's that appear to have selected 7 different pallet sizes so requiring 3 different Palbricks. 

Interesting to see that one of the loads converts the Match wagons to Coils - as I mentioned I'm unsure any Palbrick C became Coil Ps. 

Paul

I just gets confusederer and confusederer, I thought the KR model was a Palbrick B?

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I just gets confusederer and confusederer, I thought the KR model was a Palbrick B?

Mike.

No. it represents a single batch of 90 Palbrick C - well the brake rigging does. And these appear to have been chosen because only they became Freightliner Match, and they worked with the person trying to rebuild one as a Palbrick. Yes, they mistakenly used a photo of a Palbrick B in advertising (mine!). I didn't know that they were making a C. 

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1