Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

Well, I have several of these beauties on order and my favorite ever 'Calder Hall Power Station' which i have seen on many occasions in the past. Im really looking forward to these locomotives. for me, one of the best looking locos but i appreciate not to everyone's liking in terms of looks. 

I keep reminding myself that i am so very lucky to live in a time when we have these fantastically detailed model locomotives to buy and run. I never dreamed that i would see a level of fidelity that we are all being treated to today. 

What with the impending arrival of Accurascales  Mk2's, 66's, 55's (on the horizon) and others, we are in for a real treat in 2024.

Keep up the excellent work guys. Dont ever be tempted to compromise on fidelity and quality at the expense of cost and keep pushing the boundaries of what is practically achievable.

Well done guys

Edited by Krieghoff
typos
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I won't be cancelling my orders for 3 Accurascale 31s following t'other side's announcement.

Nor me, but I would like an uodate on the 30 sound project as still have a 30 without sound on order as well.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Nor me, but I would like an uodate on the 30 sound project as still have a 30 without sound on order as well.

Im sure they said they'd found source material recently.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Im sure they said they'd found source material recently.

Yes the 30 Project has been coded and is currently being tested. We should have some content and video around it soon, and the chips will be in hand in time for the first batches of 31's which will be leaving the factory in the coming month or so :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was wondering what these very recent comments referred to, then by chance went to YT.

The yet-another producer's new 30/31 does look good, but this is AccuraScale.

My order's certainly staying here.  TBH all 3 look great - always been an 'old favourite' of mine!

~2 months to go ....

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mirrlees engine sound, would it be the same after they were refurbished and installed in a trawler?

A friend of mine was working for Mirrlees Blackstone when they were refurbishing them to be fitted in trawlers. He said when chatting up a young lady and if she asked him where he worked, he would always tell them he worked for Hawker Siddeley. Mirrlees Blackstone was part of the Hawker Siddeley group and it made him sound like he worked on aircraft not clapped out diesel engines.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I was concerned that making the loco prototypical would hinder traction, however if the non driven wheels wheels are lightly sprung then they wouldn't be carrying much weight anyway and therefore there would be about as much traction from 4 axles as if there were 6 driven.

There would also be the issue that the centre wheels are, on the prototype, a smaller diameter. Though I suppose clever choice of gear sizes on the model could cope with that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nimbus said:

There would also be the issue that the centre wheels are, on the prototype, a smaller diameter. Though I suppose clever choice of gear sizes on the model could cope with that.

Ah I wasn't aware of that. However, I concur that the gearing wouldn't be that difficult anyway.

2 hours ago, Nimbus said:

49 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Ah I wasn't aware of that. However, I concur that the gearing wouldn't be that difficult anyway.

Pretty sure the centre wheelsets are 4 inches smaller in diameter on the 1:1 models

So at 4mm scale the centre wheelsets would be slightly over 1mm less in diameter, so viewing from three feet away it would be imperceptible.

And that is good enough for me

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Covkid said:

Pretty sure the centre wheelsets are 4 inches smaller in diameter on the 1:1 models

So at 4mm scale the centre wheelsets would be slightly over 1mm less in diameter, so viewing from three feet away it would be imperceptible.

Oddly enough the Hornby Railroad 31 does have smaller wheels on the middle axles, although in all other respects hardly in the same league.....!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

are these batch 1? I thought they all presold

From Accurascale direct they are.

Retailers may have stock available after their pre-orders are accounted for. 

Edited by richierich

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Covkid said:

Driving wheels are 3’ 7” and centre non driven wheels are 3’ 3.5”.

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

are these batch 1? I thought they all presold

They had but some recent retailer adjustments have released a small amount of headroom in advance of the stock shipping in april. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I was concerned that making the loco prototypical would hinder traction, however if the non driven wheels wheels are lightly sprung then they wouldn't be carrying much weight anyway and therefore there would be about as much traction from 4 axles as if there were 6 driven.

The Heljan Co-Co and C-C locomotive models all have floating, unpowered centre axles with no springing whatsoever (effectively, they are A1A-A1A), and have no problems with haulage or track-holding. I have been known to say that these Heljan locos would pull the side out of the house. I think that having the tractive power and weight all concentrated on the outer axles of each bogie actually benefit the tractive effort.

Hornby's "super-detailed" class 30/31 has 6-wheel drive, and a smaller centre wheel size on each bogie. I think I read somewhere when they were first launching them that they had to do a bit of calculation to get the gearing correct for that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SRman said:

I think that having the tractive power and weight all concentrated on the outer axles of each bogie actually benefit the tractive effort

It will do. Axle count vs traction is almost irrelevant if all the weight is on driven axles. It is any weight that is taken by undriven wheels that leads to inefficiency in this respect.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, McC said:

They had but some recent retailer adjustments have released a small amount of headroom in advance of the stock shipping in april. 

I wish you hadn't said that as it cost me two more sound fitted 31s - you are a bad man McC!

Roy

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, SRman said:

Hornby's "super-detailed" class 30/31 has 6-wheel drive, and a smaller centre wheel size on each bogie. I think I read somewhere when they were first launching them that they had to do a bit of calculation to get the gearing correct for that.

I believe not, all turn at the same rotational rate, at least on the examples I have seen from the first 'mazak rotter' production run, all purchased cheaply s/h as failed mechanisms. Easy to modify so that the centre axle is an idler by reaming out that axle muff.  (Any resulting loss of traction on this mechanism hardly matters, in that  in this modified form it is capable of starting and running at scale maximum speed trainloads heaver than I ever saw them with: 30 Bach mk1 carriages, or 80 4W wagons, mix of Bach and kits; that does enough for me.)

12 hours ago, SRman said:

The Heljan Co-Co and C-C locomotive models all have floating, unpowered centre axles with no springing whatsoever (effectively, they are A1A-A1A), and have no problems with haulage or track-holding. I have been known to say that these Heljan locos would pull the side out of the house. I think that having the tractive power and weight all concentrated on the outer axles of each bogie actually benefit the tractive effort.

Quite so, never seen any deficiency of traction from Heljan's arrangement. You would hope the designers take a look at other brand's products to pick up best practise...

I am awaiting sight of both new introductions, to see if either offers correct external appearance of the Brush 2.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I believe not, all turn at the same rotational rate, at least on the examples I have seen from the first 'mazak rotter' production run, all purchased cheaply s/h as failed mechanisms. Easy to modify so that the centre axle is an idler by reaming out that axle muff.  (Any resulting loss of traction on this mechanism hardly matters, in that  in this modified form it is capable of starting and running at scale maximum speed trainloads heaver than I ever saw them with: 30 Bach mk1 carriages, or 80 4W wagons, mix of Bach and kits; that does enough for me.)

Quite so, never seen any deficiency of traction from Heljan's arrangement. You would hope the designers take a look at other brand's products to pick up best practise...

I am awaiting sight of both new introductions, to see if either offers correct external appearance of the Brush 2.

Let's face it, one of the best "locos" for haulage is the Heljan Class 128 DPU and that is a Bo-Bo (or B-B for the pedants).

Roy

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Let's face it, one of the best "locos" for haulage is the Heljan Class 128 DPU and that is a Bo-Bo (or B-B for the pedants).

Roy

Gwiwer (of this parish) had the Heljan 128 hauling 36 coaches around his layout in Australia, with some gradients and sharpish curves to contend with as well. Impressive for a vehicle that usually hauled a maximum of two vans in real life!

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Mirrlees engine sound, would it be the same after they were refurbished and installed in a trawler?

A friend of mine was working for Mirrlees Blackstone when they were refurbishing them to be fitted in trawlers. He said when chatting up a young lady and if she asked him where he worked, he would always tell them he worked for Hawker Siddeley. Mirrlees Blackstone was part of the Hawker Siddeley group and it made him sound like he worked on aircraft not clapped out diesel engines.

They did sound different, due to load characteristics/duty cycle, exhaust length. In the engine room the sound was similar fro what I remember when going on an oil rig supply vessel with a Mirrlees, but that was only running on idle.  Where I live we had several trawlers with Mirrlees lumps and they didn't sound similar to the Brush2.

Al Taylor 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1