Revolution Trains announce Class 175 'Coradia' and Class 180 'Adelante' DMUs in N & OO Gauge.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
On 18/09/2022 at 19:09, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

We offer most of our models to the trade but sometimes the economics don't stack up.  For example, I estimate that the 3-car 175 would be £400+ when the retailer margin is included.

This is because we tend to offer 'niche' models and production quantities are significantly lower than would be for a more standard item.  This means the 'fixed' costs of tooling, setting up production, research, CAD, packaging design etc are spread across far fewer models.

We often discuss this with people we see at shows, but I get the sense that few modellers (myself included, until we started Revolution) grasp just what a fundamental role production quantities play in the pricing of model trains.

cheers

Ben A.

Indeed, people lose sight of the significance of volume for unit production costs. At the extreme end of the spectrum building a one-off of anything is expensive (and why brass is still a reasonable choice for models if you're only looking to sell a handful of the things for ultra-niche subjects) through to the mass production in vast numbers of consumer electronics or automobiles where crazily high R&D budgets are spread over production in millions. In model railways a good example is Japanese N, where companies like Kato and Tomix offer superb models at prices which look crazy next to European and North American N prices, but they make the models in huge numbers (I believe minimum production at Kato is 10,000 units, and Tomix is the bigger of the two). Conversely, perhaps contrary to what many might expect, Chinese outline HO and N models tend to be expensive (more so than British outline in many cases) as it is still a relatively new and small hobby in China (though what they make for the domestic market tends to be superbly done).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, amwells said:

Suggests a 2025 release based on general timeline from announcement to delivery from the list of products to date? Appreciate some have been faster, some slower. 

Hi there,

I don't disagree, but I would add the caveat that, while supply chains remain disrupted and factory shutdowns due to sickness or power outage are still frequent, forecasting delivery schedules based on experience is subject to considerable error margins!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Having never actually seen the EMR units, I was surprised to see they have painted them in the crappy half Stagecoach scheme their ex EMT 222s are in. I'd have thought they would have gone for the full purple like the fully liveried 222 is in (except it now has a partial liveried coach in it)

16 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Having never actually seen the EMR units, I was surprised to see they have painted them in the crappy half Stagecoach scheme their ex EMT 222s are in. I'd have thought they would have gone for the full purple like the fully liveried 222 is in (except it now has a partial liveried coach in it)

Cost.

It's cheaper to have this half livery (on the 222s) than a full blown one.  I believe the full 222 was for promotional only.  I quite like the half and half livery to show the old one going and the new one coming in but in terms of look - it's awful!

The 180s will be going when the new trains come in - they're just a stop gap - they should have just left them in old Hull Trains livery but I guess perhaps using up old stuff from the 222s means the livery they have now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Talltim said:

11 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Cost.

It's cheaper to have this half livery (on the 222s) than a full blown one.  I believe the full 222 was for promotional only.  I quite like the half and half livery to show the old one going and the new one coming in but in terms of look - it's awful!

The 180s will be going when the new trains come in - they're just a stop gap - they should have just left them in old Hull Trains livery but I guess perhaps using up old stuff from the 222s means the livery they have now.

On this point, the plans regarding the 180s seem to be chopping and changing all the time. They were initially bought in as  replacements for the 4 Angel owned HST sets (the ex GC ones). It was later envisaged that they would be retained to supplement the 810s on Intercity duties. However, with passenger numbers still not at pre-pandemic levels on some routes, and the DfT's current round of cost cutting, it looks certain that they will be departing the midlands, but will be the last units to leave after the 222s (this being because the part of Etches Park - The Bomabrdier Depot - where 222s are stabled which is soon to be remodelled as part of the new Hitachi depot whereas the 180s are in EMRs side of Etches Park). Regarding the livery, they aren't painted - just reliveried using vinyls. The blue around the windows, designed to match the EMT livery, is just the remainder of the First Hull Trains livery.   

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, surfsup said:

On this point, the plans regarding the 180s seem to be chopping and changing all the time. They were initially bought in as  replacements for the 4 Angel owned HST sets (the ex GC ones). It was later envisaged that they would be retained to supplement the 810s on Intercity duties. However, with passenger numbers still not at pre-pandemic levels on some routes, and the DfT's current round of cost cutting, it looks certain that they will be departing the midlands, but will be the last units to leave after the 222s (this being because the part of Etches Park - The Bomabrdier Depot - where 222s are stabled which is soon to be remodelled as part of the new Hitachi depot whereas the 180s are in EMRs side of Etches Park). Regarding the livery, they aren't painted - just reliveried using vinyls. The blue around the windows, designed to match the EMT livery, is just the remainder of the First Hull Trains livery.   

Like you say, the plans keep changing, I've also read recently that they are due to go at the next timetable change due to their poor reliability and condition, .  The MML is one of the few routes to still have pre-pandemic passenger numbers but I'm sure that won't stop the DfT making cuts

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Have seen on the projects page that the orderbook for the OO models will open at the end of the month! Very much looking forwards to ordering.

Edited by CazRail
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The question is, what livery are people interested in?

The Grand Central one really suits this (well, fogetting the logo made with Windows 95 Paint!) but it's just not the one I am used to seeing it in.  First GW in their boring purple livery is what these units are synonymous with but I am leaning towards the dynamic lines livery.  Sorry EMR but no, despite it being my local operator!

I can imagine the Grand Central livery will be popular.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

The question is, what livery are people interested in?

The Grand Central one really suits this (well, fogetting the logo made with Windows 95 Paint!) but it's just not the one I am used to seeing it in.  First GW in their boring purple livery is what these units are synonymous with but I am leaning towards the dynamic lines livery.  Sorry EMR but no, despite it being my local operator!

I can imagine the Grand Central livery will be popular.

Aren't EMR giving up their 180s soon?

175-wise, I'm going for FNW livery, although my era also fits in the ATW liveries too. The 175 really are the missing link for me. 

• Like 2

Barbie is the nostalgic option for me! I remember my late Grandad managed to blag me a look in the cab of one at Paddington once. Good times. (He also managed to get me into a cab of a pendolino at Euston on the same day - and into a GNER hired Eurostar at York once too…) - Not sure it would be possible these days!

For our layout and time period - it will be FGW dynamic lines for us 😁

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 1

Yeah the EMR ones are finishing at the weekend from what I can remember.

If they can't find anyone to take them on, they'll be stored, and you'll be going nowhere.

ATW 3 car and TfW 2 car 175 for me. And if the sound price is right (which I have a feeling it might...) then that'll be my bank account raped 🙃

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, IMS said:

When do we know when we can place a pre-order, and how do we do it?

Have you checked their website? It says the order book is already open for the N versions, and opening at the end of May for the OO versions. 

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Like 1

Hi. One quick question for the RevolutioN team please. Is it OK to put a 175 and a 180 together in the same 00 preorder, or do you want them kept separately? (I know that you usually require order separation ‘between models’ to facilitate your admin.)

Looking forward to running an ATW 175 and an FGW 180 in due course!

Wandering Blue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, wandering blue said:

Hi. One quick question for the RevolutioN team please. Is it OK to put a 175 and a 180 together in the same 00 preorder, or do you want them kept separately? (I know that you usually require order separation ‘between models’ to facilitate your admin.)

Looking forward to running an ATW 175 and an FGW 180 in due course!

Wandering Blue.

Can you put them in separate orders please. 

Cheers

Mike B

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 2